Fri 22 Apr: SL: Castleford Tigers v St Helens KO 20:00 (Sky)

Who will win?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Castleford Tigers
    • St Helens

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 22/04/22 at 19:30

4 minutes ago, Barca Mum said:

They still have played a few more senior players to help the youngsters 

They could have but didn’t. I reckon Kristian Woolf, the coaching staff and highly qualified medical staff probably know what they’re doing. 

• Like 3

We played 2nd, 3rd and 4th in Super League in 9 days. An away cup tie in France, a Good Friday derby and an away match at Huddersfield, who were previously unbeaten at home.

We then had a 4th game in 13 days with a cup semi final on the horizon. We were the only Super League side who were scheduled to play 3 matches in 7 days. 

Our team selection tonight gives us the best chance of long term success. And that game was still a contest with 15 mins to go.

A lot to be proud of for us. Liked the looks of Danny Moss, who was lively.

• Like 6

30 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

fans buy season tickets before the season starts to see teams like st helens come to town to take their team on- on the premise that their purchase will provide them with the top teams available for their money - insulting to them at the very least 

Who did you ask regarding this?

Most people I know would be happy to see young, talented, homegrown players get game time.

• Like 1

Coaches have a choice over Easter to batter their players for two games or use their squad and rotate some players to even out the work. Some teams decide to go for broke on maximum points in Easter and throw a game after, usually against less threatening side.

If it's about player welfare you don't batter your best players for two games to throw a game after to rest them because the chairman has said we'll take the fine if called out.I

player welfare is well at back of the list behind this.

• Like 1

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

I've got no issue with Saints resting their top players, they have a squad that they, like the other 11 SL teams can make use of.

Let's be honest, if it was our own sides, we'd be fully behind them as our own clubs owe the other 11 clubs and the sky viewers nothing, clubs have to do what they have to do for their own gain.

Saints have done just that, and most people knew they were going to rest most of their team, Saints fans even told me in Monday to get some money on Castleford.

I do kind of agree that Castleford benefit from the relatively easy 2 points, but then complaining that teams around them don't benefit is tough, those teams need to be better then it's wouldn't be a concern.

I quite enjoyed the game, Castleford got the job done but it seemed to me they were trying to rack up an impressive score by trying to score every time they had possession in Saints' half rather than play the patient game, which they did eventually.

Saints were ultimately outgunned and outclassed but certainly not out enthused.

Fair play to those young lads, and to think some people want to deny them all that.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Moove said:

Special mention to Just Browny's performance, managing 75 minutes without whinging about Saints. Top effort.

You can't expect him to do the full 80 at this stage in his career.

• Haha 2

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

It's Saints perogative to select the team they wish, they aren't the first and won't be the last team to do this.

For me its a flaw in the play off system that means that finishing top doesn't particularly matter. The season just becomes a procession towards the play offs with the better teams managing your squad to give them the best chance come the business end of the season.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, jacksy said:

I'm not actually in the majority who believe the easter programme is too much for the players.

Players of previous decades played a hell of a lot more games and did a day job.

Shouting player welfare and putting out a bunch of kids against men is my issue.

Yes im an old fuddy duddy and stuck in the past bla bla

Have you not noticed the speed and intensity of the modern game as opposed to previous decades? I'm sure you have, which makes me wonder why you feel this way. 

• Like 3

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

1 hour ago, Jughead said:

Enjoyed that and quite proud of the Saints side overall, who grew into that game and can be proud of their efforts. 

Some of the defensive efforts were superb for such young kids, getting penalised heavily at times and dealing with repeat sets through six agains. The second half saw a better attacking effort and Pemberton looked to change the game for Saints’ attack.

Thought Cas were quite poor at times. 

Thought exactly the same about Pemberton when he came on. 

I really enjoyed that, although understandably the Saints tired in the last 15 minutes.

I thought the youthful collective played with a lot of enthusiasm and gusto, aided by the old-head guidance of Amor.

Special mention to the chirpy, cheeky little half-back Moss and Davies (is he a centre?; I didn't see where he was named).

Plenty of young players there who didn't embarrass themselves tonight against grown men.

Cas got the job done in adequate fashion. The opening try from young QareQare was special, but the story from tonight is the energy of Saints' emerging, next-generation youngsters.

A fun evening, and well compered by the radiant Jenna Brooks.

Edited by StandOffHalf

1 hour ago, Chris22 said:

We played 2nd, 3rd and 4th in Super League in 9 days. An away cup tie in France, a Good Friday derby and an away match at Huddersfield, who were previously unbeaten at home.

We then had a 4th game in 13 days with a cup semi final on the horizon. We were the only Super League side who were scheduled to play 3 matches in 7 days. 

Our team selection tonight gives us the best chance of long term success. And that game was still a contest with 15 mins to go.

A lot to be proud of for us. Liked the looks of Danny Moss, who was lively.

So rotate your senior squad rather than flog them to death and then chuck in a load of kids against a full on SL squad.

Player welfare is not what this was about, for Saints to try and disguise it as such is farcical.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

If you’re the best side and are well ahead in the league, then you have the right to pick who you like. There used to be rules against it, and of course it distorts the competition. But why should Saints care about any of that? They had a chance to rest everyone so they took it. 

42 minutes ago, Padge said:

So rotate your senior squad rather than flog them to death and then chuck in a load of kids against a full on SL squad.

Player welfare is not what this was about, for Saints to try and disguise it as such is farcical.

I imagine that we thought playing a full squad twice, them the reserves gave us a better chance of winning more matches than an amalgamation of a first team and reserve team on two occasions.

Out of curiosity, as you don't think player welfare was the reason for our selection, why do think we did it?

• Like 2

Good morning, all you St Helens fans. Welcome to Wigan's World: a world where anything and everything you do is analysed and criticised purely because you are in a period of dominance in the game. You'll find that even when your team' s very recent and purely temporary dominance comes to an end, just as Wigan's long term dominance did over 20 years ago, the effect lingers on. Seek counselling. Form an SDL.  Above all, just get used to it: it's not going away.

5 hours ago, Jughead said:

They could have but didn’t. I reckon Kristian Woolf, the coaching staff and highly qualified medical staff probably know what they’re doing. 

Exactly the point a number of us have been making, but not in the sense you mean.

3 hours ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

If you’re the best side and are well ahead in the league, then you have the right to pick who you like. There used to be rules against it, and of course it distorts the competition. But why should Saints care about any of that? They had a chance to rest everyone so they took it. 

Well ahead in the league? The top three have all lost two games and drawn none

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JohnM said:

Well ahead in the league? The top three have all lost two games and drawn none

Yes but they (and we) have seen enough to be certain that they are well ahead of the other teams in the league - you only need to read Woolf’s pat on the head comments about the opposition over the last 2 weeks. Their losses were in games they didn’t care about. They have everyone’s measure. And of course last night helps further guarantee a trip to London. Why should they care for the integrity of a league they can win at their leisure? 

Edited by Exiled Wiganer
  • Like 2

Reality check, it doesn't matter one jot that Saints lose games as long as they win enough to finish in 5th place, with their best squad fit and ready they reach Old Trafford and come away with the trophy.

Albeit I am in agreement that as a fan who would have purchased a season ticket, I want to see the best player's that the visiting teams can field, I suppose that train of thought doesn't matter very much to the one eyed fans who only see their team on the field, controversially I ain't one of those in fact I don't half get some funny looks for applauding good rugby attack or defence by the opposition from those home fans around me. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

13 hours ago, Jughead said:

Much better coverage with Jenna as the lead. Hopefully the commentary isn’t its usual standard. 

I was very impressed with Jenna Brooks in her new role as presenter. She has a sharp mind.

I have a hearing problem Her diction is excellent. 

More please

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Reality check, it doesn't matter one jot that Saints lose games as long as they win enough to finish in 5th place, with their best squad fit and ready they reach Old Trafford and come away with the trophy.

That’s it in a nutshell.  I like the play offs but it does encourage weakened teams to be fielded at times.  Saints are just a bit smarter at it than others

• Like 1