Joe Chan signs for Melbourne

39 minutes ago, barnyia said:

If he goes to Melbourne maybe not, I don't think he has French nationality. 

But if he plays in the mid season test then he will be able to play for France his whole career? Unless he is chasing a Kiwi jersey?

1 hour ago, Scubby said:

But if he plays in the mid season test then he will be able to play for France his whole career? Unless he is chasing a Kiwi jersey?

I am back in just under 2 weeks and will ask his dad (If not him) will see him at the Warrington Wolves match.

Will post the answer:)

Paul

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Jughead said:

He’ll be eligible through residency rules but as soon as he moves to Melbourne, whether capped or not, he’ll lose that. That’s what I’ve been told anyway. 

But surely once he's been capped he's eligible, regardless of whether he's residing and playing in France or Australia. Or do France have different laws?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, StandOffHalf said:

But surely once he's been capped he's eligible, regardless of whether he's residing and playing in France or Australia. Or do France have different laws?

There`s a queue a mile long before he can play for the Kiwi`s, so hopefully he`ll stick with the French team if he wants to play international football in the meantime. And one thing for certain, being in the Melbourne system will only bring out the best in him, even having them approach you is such a vote of confidence in you anyway.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

There`s a queue a mile long before he can play for the Kiwi`s, so hopefully he`ll stick with the French team if he wants to play international football in the meantime. And one thing for certain, being in the Melbourne system will only bring out the best in him, even having them approach you is such a vote of confidence in you anyway.

Well, he hasn't played for France or declared for them at this stage, so there's a measure of conjecture around this.

It would be great to see him play for France in the mid-season test and the WC, but I suppose he mightn't want to represent them if he's heading back down under. I'm sure he has a considerable connection with France having spent time there, but it comes down to his wishes.

He's a really promising young player and it's not outside the bounds of possibility that he plays himself into Kiwi considerations over the next few seasons.

Either way, I hope he enjoys success and further development at his new club.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Alex Chan started playing at Catalans in 2006 when Joe Chan was 4 years old. Has he lived in France since then? If so he should be eligible to play for France whether he moves to live in Melbourne or not.

He coached in Australia after that at a lower level but not sure when he went back.