Combined Nations All-Stars 29 man squad named

I’ve no problems with Johnstone or Connor being selected, I welcome it actually and think it adds an interesting dynamic to an otherwise disinteresting exhibition game (IMO), but putting Scotland/Germany and Trinidad next to their names when neither has played or seemed to declare any interest in playing for those nations is a bit of a stretch from The RFL. 

If English players are picked, so be it. It’s an interesting story how Tom Johnstone would be going up against Tommy Makinson and Ryan Hall with the World Cup less than six months away. 

47 minutes ago, Old Frightful said:

"Meanwhile, Jake Connor, who played in the inaugural All Stars fixture last summer, will once again represent his family’s Trinidadian heritage."

WTF?!?!

Did he buy a Billy Ocean record at some time in his life?

His Grandfather is Trinidadian.

Edited by meast
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, Jughead said:

I’ve no problems with Johnstone or Connor being selected, I welcome it actually and think it adds an interesting dynamic to an otherwise disinteresting exhibition game (IMO), but putting Scotland/Germany and Trinidad next to their names when neither has played or seemed to declare any interest in playing for those nations is a bit of a stretch from The RFL. 

If English players are picked, so be it. It’s an interesting story how Tom Johnstone would be going up against Tommy Makinson and Ryan Hall with the World Cup less than six months away. 

At least Johnstone was born in Germany, not going 2 generations back to shoehorn him in.

I'd still have Hall very much in the frame for England, and I think his form over the last month has been really good. Sure, he's not as fast, but he still scores tries, is dependable, and really strong in carrying the ball out. Pretty much the same goes for Jermaine McGillvary. As long as they are fit, I'd have them both in the squad.

Johnstone should be pumped and raring to go in this game, as he tries to convince Wane that he's durable and safe enough. As should Connor!

Looking forward to seeing how they both go, but it does look a little strange to see Trinidad and Scotland/Germany next to their names. Nothing wrong with putting England there!

32 minutes ago, DavidM said:

IMO Hall has had his time at that level and it’s time to move on . 

Don't you think though that his carrying of the ball out from his end is important and impressive and something that you wouldn't get from a lot of English wingers?

I can see that both lads on the wing from 2017 are slowing down but I still think their power and composure would add to England in a big, tight game.

I dunno... Maybe I'm a bit misty-eyed... Either way, I hope Johnstone has a stormer and does what he can to open Wane's eyes.

6 hours ago, UTK said:

Picking Garcia when France and Wales are meant to be playing on that same weekend is rather disrespectful to the actual international game to say the least.

Not unsurprising however.

I get that he isnt picking Saints overseas players because there will be 6/7 players in the England squad. I just don’t understand why he is then picking Catalan overseas players when they will be providing more players to the French national team. It just seems disrespectful as if they are treating a genuine international without any respect. Made even worse by also picking a player who will likely be the French captain. 

Edited by bobbruce
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, StandOffHalf said:

Don't you think though that his carrying of the ball out from his end is important and impressive and something that you wouldn't get from a lot of English wingers?

Pace… we need lots of it. Hall has none. Neither does McGilvary. Our opponents will have tonnes of it. You need pace to finish in the fine margins of top level sport. 

(The likes of Makinson and Johnstone are much better options)

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

Pace… we need lots of it. Hall has none. Neither does McGilvary. Our opponents will have tonnes of it. You need pace to finish in the fine margins of top level sport. 

England may not even make the semis if this type of approach continues. Samoa and Tonga are going to be pumped with top talent. Agree totally, we need this side brimming with all the pace and skill we can find.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

Hall and McGilvary are both way past it and have been for some time. Neither should have been picked in 2019 for GB, never mind be picked now.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, bobbruce said:

I get that he isnt picking Saints overseas players because there will be 6/7 players in the England squad. I just don’t understand why he is then picking Catalan overseas players when they will be providing more players to the French national team. It just seems disrespectful as if they are treating a genuine international without any respect. Made even worse by also picking a player who will likely be the French captain. 

Very good point I hadn't even factored in that impact on Catalans, will be the same issue across the league for Welsh reps from different SL sides not being considered part of the representative burden.

Double standards between an exhibition game and an actual international match really is an unacceptable stance.

39 minutes ago, Scubby said:

England may not even make the semis if this type of approach continues. Samoa and Tonga are going to be pumped with top talent. Agree totally, we need this side brimming with all the pace and skill we can find.

I hope im wrong but i dont think we will.

Wane so far has been underwhelming. When he should of been inspiring.

Edited by jacksy

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.

4 hours ago, GeordieSaint said:

I agree on Makinson. Johnstone though - as much as I am a big fan of his speed and tries - is totally unproven at international level. He also can be defensively suspect. Hall brings years of experience and of doing well on the international stage.

All I'm saying is that that built-up muscle memory counts for quite a lot in the heat of a close-fought test match.

I'm not saying I'd pick him as first choice winger; I just think he's still in the picture.

Edited by StandOffHalf
  • Sad 1

Never knew Jake Connor was of Trinidadian heritage. Someone should write a calypso about him.

’Connor, lovely Connor,

The full back with de tricks,

Him wan’ play for Inglan,

But Shaun Wane him did not pick,

So him play for de All Stars,

Cos him get on people’s wick’

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

Never knew Jake Connor was of Trinidadian heritage. Someone should write a calypso about him.

’Connor, lovely Connor,

The full back with de tricks,

Him wan’ play for Inglan,

But Shaun Wane him did not pick,

So him play for de All Stars,

Cos him get on people’s wick’

How old is Billy Ocean? Singer's age and real name revealed as he performs  medley on Strictly - Chronicle Live

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

15 hours ago, meast said:

His Grandfather is Trinidadian.

Billy Ocean's?...I think we could have guessed that.

Seriously though, I wonder if Connor's Grandad was one of the Windrush people?, he certainly will have been about the right age I would have thought.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

1 hour ago, Damien said:

Another compelling argument. Judging by plenty of posts and threads on this topic many seem to agree with me and not you. 

If Ryan Hall was 19 and scoring try’s and making metres like he is doing there’d be plenty crying out for him to be in the England squad, he’s still a top winger, just because he’s at the back end of his career shouldn’t stop him being selected, if he’s the best available option. Wane has him in the training squad and rightly so.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

If Ryan Hall was 19 and scoring try’s and making metres like he is doing there’d be plenty crying out for him to be in the England squad, he’s still a top winger, just because he’s at the back end of his career shouldn’t stop him being selected, if he’s the best available option. Wane has him in the training squad and rightly so.

Age is nothing to do with it. He is no longer England's best winger and is not the best available option.

He has completely lost his pace and has the turning circle of a tank, a captured Russian tank being towed by a Ukrainian tractor at that.

The Southern hemisphere nations would have a field day with Hall and McGilvary on the wings.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Damien said:

Age is nothing to do with it. He is no longer England's best winger and is not the best available option.

He has completely lost his pace and has the turning circle of a tank, a captured Russian tank being towed by a Ukrainian tractor at that.

The Southern hemisphere nations would have a field day with Hall and McGilvary on the wings.

I never said he’s England’s best winger, Makinson is, but Wane is right to include Hall in the England squad, he’s there on merit. He scored his 8th try of the season today, had already made over 1200 meters before playing today, is solid in defence and is as good as anyone under the high ball. People are writing him off simply because of his age.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

I never said he’s England’s best winger, Makinson is, but Wane is right to include Hall in the England squad, he’s there on merit. He scored his 8th try of the season today, had already made over 1200 meters before playing today, is solid in defence and is as good as anyone under the high ball. People are writing him off simply because of his age.

I never said you did.

I have already said his age has nothing to do with it. If people were influenced by his age then the same people wouldn't be championing Roby for hooker.