Combined Nations All-Stars 29 man squad named

23 hours ago, Damien said:

Another compelling argument. Judging by plenty of posts and threads on this topic many seem to agree with me and not you. 

11 hours ago, Damien said:

I have already said his age has nothing to do with it. If people were influenced by his age then the same people wouldn't be championing Roby for hooker.

Describing him as past it, you are clearly referring to his age 

20 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Hall has been a great player and was world class at one stage. He is still playing at a decent level now but any pace he had is completely shot. There was a chase back in R1 against Wigan where he literally curved the other way because he was getting burned.

His frame is too big now and he is too slow for international RL. He will be targeted and that would be sad for a great player.  

• Like 1

On 22/04/2022 at 22:52, StandOffHalf said:

I agree on Makinson. Johnstone though - as much as I am a big fan of his speed and tries - is totally unproven at international level. He also can be defensively suspect. Hall brings years of experience and of doing well on the international stage.

All I'm saying is that that built-up muscle memory counts for quite a lot in the heat of a close-fought test match.

I'm not saying I'd pick him as first choice winger; I just think he's still in the picture.

I’ve seen oil tankers turn quicker than Hall does these days,he WAS a fantastic winger for a long time but his time at international level should be over.

• Like 2

On 22/04/2022 at 16:32, Whippet13 said:

Source club player number limits combined across both squads, as per last year (5?).

That's why this squad is light on Wigan / St Helens / Warrington selections. 

On 22/04/2022 at 16:35, graveyard johnny said:

makes no sense 

No wonder they are practically giving tickets away, if the actual best "foriegn" born player's in SL were to be selected and not restricted it would create a lot more interest, could it be that this policy is to protect one of the teams and even things up?

1 hour ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

How many tries did he score in his 2yrs at the Roosters playing against a lot of the same players he would be facing in the WC ?

3 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

No wonder they are practically giving tickets away, if the actual best "foriegn" born player's in SL were to be selected and not restricted it would create a lot more interest, could it be that this policy is to protect one of the teams and even things up?

I could understand a player per club restriction in the All Star squad but including players in the England squad also is ridiculous.

Im also hoping Wane had some input in Connor & Johnstone’s inclusion for the All Stars.

• Like 1

On 22/04/2022 at 21:36, Damien said:

Hall and McGilvary are both way past it and have been for some time. Neither should have been picked in 2019 for GB, never mind be picked now.

Aye, that was Wane Bennett but you have to consider it from Bennets perspective, when you are 70 odd years old 30 something is relatively quite young😉

8 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

I could understand a player per club restriction in the All Star squad but including players in the England squad also is ridiculous.

Im also hoping Wane had some input in Connor & Johnstone’s inclusion for the All Stars.

Is the intention of this game an opposed training run or a real test of the player's that are available to Wane excluding the NRL based players. The selection that Wane will put on the field can only be evaluated properly if the opposition is as strong as it possibly could be from the overseas lads in this country and that can only be acheived without club restrictions.

Did Wane not refuse a game against France (which I agree with) in preference to the All Stars because it would not offer him the quality of opposition to see where is players are at in terms of suitability for the forthcoming WC.

If the RFL are going to do this game in preperation for the World Cup do it properly or don't do it all.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Is the intention of this game an opposed training run or a real test of the player's that are available to Wane excluding the NRL based players. The selection that Wane will put on the field can only be evaluated properly if the opposition is as strong as it possibly could be from the overseas lads in this country and that can only be acheived without club restrictions.

Did Wane not refuse a game against France (which I agree with) in preference to the All Stars because it would not offer him the quality of opposition to see where is players are at in terms of suitability for the forthcoming WC.

If the RFL are going to do this game in preperation for the World Cup do it properly or don't do it all.

You’d still get a top quality All Stars team if players were allowed to be selected from ALL the clubs despite a 2 player restriction,this isn’t a test team so I can settle for the restriction as long as it’ applies to all the clubs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Davo5 said:

How many tries did he score in his 2yrs at the Roosters playing against a lot of the same players he would be facing in the WC ?

Bit of a fellacious talking-point. He had horrid luck, was sometimes picked on the right wing, and just didn't seem to be on the end of their plays.

He didn't come up empty because he was outclassed or playing against superior players. Things just didn't fall his way.

1 hour ago, Davo5 said:

Totally agree.

England selections shouldn't affect numbers per club for the All Stars. I'd be perfectly fine though with a lower limit of, say, three players per club for the All Stars. More clubs represented the better, as far as I'm concerned.

Edited by StandOffHalf

59 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

You’d still get a top quality All Stars team if players were allowed to be selected from ALL the clubs despite a 2 player restriction,this isn’t a test team so I can settle for the restriction as long as it’ applies to all the clubs.

Absolutely. A limit of two or three players per club for the All Stars would still throw up a forbidding team, and would have the benefit of as many clubs being represented in the game as possible.

In fact, if it was framed and presented in the right way, it could lead to further interest, engagement, and debate.

Whoever makes the England squad should be a separate matter though. I feel quite strongly about that and think the absence of any St. Helens players from the All Stars preliminary squad devalues the concept.

5 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Well no. It obviously means past his best. Which Hall, and McGilvary, obviously are.

Sometimes it's better to stop digging than trying to troll with strawman arguments that have no basis. You've now been told three times age isn't a factor. It's really odd to try and twist things and ignore what you are being told.

Again if I was bothered about age then I wouldn't want Roby in the England squad. However I do. That kind of shows you are talking nonsense.

Edited by Damien
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, Damien said:

Well no. It obviously means past his best. Which Hall, and McGilvary, obviously are.

Sometimes it's better to stop digging than trying to troll with strawman arguments that have no basis. You've now been told three times age isn't a factor. It's really odd to try and twist things and ignore what you are being told.

Again if itI was bothered about age then I wouldn't want Roby in the England squad. However I do. That kind of shows you are talking nonsense.

Do you want to force him to play against his will

https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-league/58652341.amp 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Do you want to force him to play against his will

https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-league/58652341.amp 

Oh the confused emojis start because your strawman fails, again.

Now its move the goalposts time. No I don't want him chosen against his will. That wasn't the point though. I would like a 36 year old Roby picked because he is playing well and is good enough. However not a 34 year old Ryan Hall who isn't. Obviously you knew that. 

As I said when your trolling fails it's better to just give it up.

Edited by Damien

1 minute ago, Damien said:

Oh the confused emojis start because your strawman fails, again.

Now its move the goalposts time. No I don't want him chosen against his will. That wasn't the point though. I would like a 36 year old Roby picked because he is playing well and is good enough. However not a 34 year old Ryan Hall who isn't. Obviously you knew that. 

As I said when your trolling fails it's better to just give it up.

You are talking nonsense again, which 4 wingers would you like in the England training squad ahead of Hall and McGilvary 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

You are talking nonsense again, which 4 wingers would you like in the England training squad ahead of Hall and McGilvary 

Makinson,Johnstone,Young,Ashton then you can add Farnworth who can cover both wing & centre if needed.

• 1 month later...

https://www.rugby-league.com/article/60268/shaun-wane-names-england-squad-to-take-on-combined-nations-all-stars

Wane has now named his 20-man squad for this match.

Matty Ashton (Warrington Wolves), Joe Batchelor (St Helens), John Bateman (Wigan Warriors), Mike Cooper (Warrington Wolves), Liam Farrell (Wigan Warriors), Ryan Hall (Hull KR), Matty Lees (St Helens), Michael McIlorum, Mike McMeeken (both Catalans Dragons), Paul McShane (Castleford Tigers), Tommy Makinson (St Helens), Mikolaj Oledzki (Leeds Rhinos), Joe Philbin, Stefan Ratchford (both Warrington Wolves), Sam Tomkins (Catalans Dragons, Captain), Alex Walmsley (St Helens), Jake Wardle (Huddersfield Giants), Kallum Watkins (Salford Red Devils), Jack Welsby (St Helens), George Williams (Warrington Wolves)

7 minutes ago, UTK said:

https://www.rugby-league.com/article/60268/shaun-wane-names-england-squad-to-take-on-combined-nations-all-stars

Wane has now named his 20-man squad for this match.

Matty Ashton (Warrington Wolves), Joe Batchelor (St Helens), John Bateman (Wigan Warriors), Mike Cooper (Warrington Wolves), Liam Farrell (Wigan Warriors), Ryan Hall (Hull KR), Matty Lees (St Helens), Michael McIlorum, Mike McMeeken (both Catalans Dragons), Paul McShane (Castleford Tigers), Tommy Makinson (St Helens), Mikolaj Oledzki (Leeds Rhinos), Joe Philbin, Stefan Ratchford (both Warrington Wolves), Sam Tomkins (Catalans Dragons, Captain), Alex Walmsley (St Helens), Jake Wardle (Huddersfield Giants), Kallum Watkins (Salford Red Devils), Jack Welsby (St Helens), George Williams (Warrington Wolves)

No Liam Marshall?

Gotta admit I'm struggling to work out the backline here.

Assuming Tomkins fullback, Makinson wing and Williams Halfback are all locked in.

Then I guess Hall/Ashton for another wing, Welsby/Wardle/Watkins for the centres, Ratchford/Welsby for the 6?