Oldham

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

Do you have a link for that?

We've discussed it on here before and I think most of the data and reports we were referring to were either small scale and/or pretty old.

Unfortunately I got it as part of the e-news service of the scientific journal 'Nature', which I get, but it was in the one I got today so is recent. It's not up on their main site.

• Like 1

On 25/04/2022 at 12:22, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

A few years ago Dewsbury installed 3x 3g pitches (a full and 2x 5-a-side size) on 'their' land to rent out and look how that's boosted them......

Do you remember a thing called Covid?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Are there any real examples of RL and soccer clubs working together harmoniously in this way?

I don't wish to be a naysayer but the sports seem to have a history of enmity that I can't fathom.

• Like 1

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

40 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

And its worked out great for us.  Hope both clubs can work together to restore both clubs success and pride before its all just swallowed by City. 

I doubt there is any chance of Oldham RLFC working with the current ownership of Oldham Athletic.  Might be a different story if Latics got a new owner/board

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

Are there any real examples of RL and soccer clubs working together harmoniously in this way?

I don't wish to be a naysayer but the sports seem to have a history of enmity that I can't fathom.

I don't want to jinx it, but the two York teams have co-habited well enough since Jon Flatman took over at the end of 2016.

12 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Might also be to do with the fact being in National League North , York city want the extra revenue stream. Might be a different story were they to get back to EFL, although that seems incredibly unlikely. 

The football club don't own the stadium, it is owned by York City Council.

3 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

That explains the lack of hostility then. Mind you, I thought council owned Hull´s stadium but that has now become dominated by the football team. 

Happy to be corrected if I'm incorrect, but I believe the council own the physical bricks and mortar and the stadium management company is owned by Hull City

Just now, wilsontown said:

It's a similar situation at York, the SMC is run by the football club. 

That being the case, do you have concerns about what might happen should the football club rise up through the leagues and regain football league status?

Genuine question

No, because I watch City and the chances of them rising up through the leagues are slim.

In seriousness, I don't have much in the way of worries on that score. Even if City make it into the football league, I don't see how they would be able to cause the Knights any significant problems even if they wanted to (and why would they?). The Knights are tenants of the council so it isn't as though City could turf them out. As far as I know there are agreements in place over how much each club gets to use the facilities (including for a limited number of non-match days).

What I'd like to see is the two clubs actually working together with joint season tickets and promotions, but as yet there's no sign of that happening. I doubt that is down to the Knights, but I don't claim to be in the know.

Edited by wilsontown
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, wilsontown said:

No, because I watch City and the chances of them rising up through the leagues are slim.

In seriousness, I don't have much in the way of worries on that score. Even if City make it into the football league, I don't see how they would be able to cause the Knights any significant problems even if they wanted to (and why would they?). The Knights are tenants of the council so it isn't as though City could turf them out. As far as I know there are agreements in place over how much each club gets to use the facilities (including for a limited number of non-match days).

What I'd like to see is the two clubs actually working together with joint season tickets and promotions, but as yet there's no sign of that happening. I doubt that is down to the Knights, but I don't claim to be in the know.

mmm feel for you - my friend has been a York City fan for over 60 years (travels to many away games too), so I have always taken an interest.  Gosh how far they have fallen and still maybe in danger to drop again.   The worst year for him was having "derby" games against Harrogate.  Never-the-less he has good memories from yesteryear.

Funny thing is my daughters partner is also a York City fan and she gets dragged along sometimes... Didn't think you could get to know many York City fans.

22 minutes ago, redjonn said:

mmm feel for you - my friend has been a York City fan for over 60 years (travels to many away games too), so I have always taken an interest.  Gosh how far they have fallen and still maybe in danger to drop again.   The worst year for him was having "derby" games against Harrogate.  Never-the-less he has good memories from yesteryear.

Funny thing is my daughters partner is also a York City fan and she gets dragged along sometimes... Didn't think you could get to know many York City fans.

And now York are two divisions below Harrogate! I do know how he feels though after a season watching Bolton play Morecambe, Accrington and Fleetwood, teams that used to regularly lose against Leigh RMI (or, in Fleetwood's case, be several division below even RMI!)

41 minutes ago, wilsontown said:

I'd say a stadium capacity of 8.5k kind of limits what a Football team can ever achieve even with a little expansion. Not so really in Rugby.

19 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

And now York are two divisions below Harrogate!

Readying themselves for Harrogate Railway, perhaps?

• Haha 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Don't joke. Even we shouldn't be incompetent enough to get relegated from National League North, though, and we'd still need a few more divisions before we'd get to the Rail...

On the stadium, 8.5k would likely be enough even if City made it to League 1, which is realistically not happening in the next few years if ever.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Damien said:

I'd say a stadium capacity of 8.5k kind of limits what a Football team can ever achieve even with a little expansion. Not so really in Rugby.

Don't necessarily disagree but it is designed in such a way that it could be expanded to 12k relatively quickly and cheaply (however unlikely it'll ever be needed)

Bournemouth did ok in the Prem with a 10k ground, mind.

4 minutes ago, Gav Wilson said:

Don't necessarily disagree but it is designed in such a way that it could be expanded to 12k relatively quickly and cheaply (however unlikely it'll ever be needed)

I was thinking that when I wrote it. I do think its fair to say it is far more of a barrier in Football but there's always the odd exception. I can't really see many parallels between Hull City getting to the Premier League in their 25k stadium and York City in theirs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Leyther_Matt said:

And now York are two divisions below Harrogate! I do know how he feels though after a season watching Bolton play Morecambe, Accrington and Fleetwood, teams that used to regularly lose against Leigh RMI (or, in Fleetwood's case, be several division below even RMI!)

at least at Morecambe you have the pie's, assuming they still make their own and for which they won the best pie competition in soccer,,,

As regards Oldham... chuckle

I like to listen to the community radio as I go up the M62 as we go within their broadcast area...

and I enjoyed the lively supporters when I watched them play at Hunslet a few seasons ago....

• Like 1

19 hours ago, meast said:

To think, around 1991-1996 both Oldham's professional clubs were in their respective top flights and pulling in around 15,000 fans between them.

How sad.

Indeed, even more so when you consider they have a very good community game presence in and around the town too.

• Like 1

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

1 hour ago, Gav Wilson said:

Bournemouth had a very wealthy backer though

3 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

So if they get to the FL look forward to league team being bullied. Is the owned that people hate at York City still in charge? If Knights can get to SL first and on TV bringing that coverage that the Football team will never get they should be safe. 

Hasn’t the owner of the football club recently change or did he just write his loans off after the sale of the old ground?

On 25/04/2022 at 15:59, gingerjon said:

What Borough do really well - and this isn't meant to lecture anyone, it's just an observation - is they have a clubhouse/bar/social club that is full *all the time*. They're one of the few football clubs I've seen who seem to act like a rugby union club with social memberships and the like.

Bit like, to connect it back to RL, how the Willows Club was back in the (before my) day at Salford.

If only the modern SRD could have such a money making community facility now. Which will lead us onto Oldham, but I can imagine Salford City council being cute and using the re building of Moor Lane to include a community space for the Kersal Moor area. You know day time cafe and children's centre, night time bar and social rooms. 

Which does bring us to the Roughyeds. I personally can only imagine Boundary Lane would host RL if the soccer club need additional revenues. However could Oldham afford to pay the £25k that FCUM were giving to Bury FC a decade ago?op

Then my thought is could, should, would the council work with the RL club and other RL clubs in the borough to "anchor" community facilities? The obvious one would be a link up with St Anne's and build a joint sports and community facility. The obvious bonus is that there is plenty of land and its within walking distance of a Metrolink stop. Then of course there is Chadderton FC beside Broadway. 

In the ideal world, "our" RFL would be prioritizing left behind heartlands, supporting the Roughyeds have their own home. Except it's "their" RFL rigging the system for the big boys and leaving the rest to fester for themselves. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, idrewthehaggis said:

If only the modern SRD could have such a money making community facility now. Which will lead us onto Oldham, but I can imagine Salford City council being cute and using the re building of Moor Lane to include a community space for the Kersal Moor area. You know day time cafe and children's centre, night time bar and social rooms. 

Which does bring us to the Roughyeds. I personally can only imagine Boundary Lane would host RL if the soccer club need additional revenues. However could Oldham afford to pay the £25k that FCUM were giving to Bury FC a decade ago?op

Then my thought is could, should, would the council work with the RL club and other RL clubs in the borough to "anchor" community facilities? The obvious one would be a link up with St Anne's and build a joint sports and community facility. The obvious bonus is that there is plenty of land and its within walking distance of a Metrolink stop. Then of course there is Chadderton FC beside Broadway. 

In the ideal world, "our" RFL would be prioritizing left behind heartlands, supporting the Roughyeds have their own home. Except it's "their" RFL rigging the system for the big boys and leaving the rest to fester for themselves. 

Do you know the irony of Oldham and the RFL is that the RFL for the first 35 years of its existence was run from Oldham by Joseph Platt, son of Oldham father of Rugby League. When he died he left a whole tranche of land and assets for community sports. He made the RFL the trustees of said assets. One of the areas he left, in trust, was exchanged for another piece of land . The original land is now a Morrisons store.  The new ground, of which the RFL are still trustees, is used by hollinwood ARFL club. Who, I believe, are not keen on any developments.

Edited by The Art of Hand and Foot
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

No owner been in for four years unless change happened just now but Abdallah didn´t buy ground so not only was he a bad owner they really had no way of generating revenue from their main stand, that´s finacially crippling for anyone and we´ve seen how it gives league clubs no chance, principle is the same everywhere. Infrastructure is the most important point. Blitz owns the main stand and unless you buy the ground you are wasting your money. That´s why blowing it up and starting at step 5 with the ground is way more important than buying a debt loaded ltd company that will probably get pumped in the national league. 

My question was about the owner of York City FC