Daryl Powell : We wuz robbed!

The Wire coach claims referees have told him so...

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/18348443/warrington-referees-wrong/

Pin on They've got ATTITUDE----

• Haha 3
                                                                     Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

No complaints, we know the rules before we play. 

I would focus on why we gave a set restart on the last tackle, Hull did not look like scoring from over 10 metres from the line. 

• Like 1

If Mr Powell can publicly state that in his 30+ years as both a player and a coach he has never ever knowingly benefitted from a wrong refereeing call, would anyone believe him? I most certainly wouldn't.

As every fan knows (or should do, even the one eyed ones) these things happen and even themselves out over time, yesterday I called 3 Leigh tries that were very questionable whilst the one and only time that London got close to line I was in a good enough position of sight to believe that Bieneck put the ball down touching the line but the ref called it short.

• Like 1

I don't recall him complaining about Mr Hicks , when during the first match of the 2017 season his players twice pushed Leigh players into their own full back as he was attempting to catch a kick , resulting both times on CAS scoring try's 

He moans , everybody moans , but he moans more than most 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

No complaints, we know the rules before we play. 

I would focus on why we gave a set restart on the last tackle, Hull did not look like scoring from over 10 metres from the line. 

This. Poor game management minutes from the end cost us. These things tend to even themselves out anyway. Hopefully Warrington will get a lucky game-changing 50/50 call later in the season.

“There is perhaps no better a demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world.”   Carl Sagan

As a Warrington fan I don’t disagree with anything he has said, but I don’t think he should be saying it publicly.

It was something I didn’t like about him at Cas and frustrated he has brought it with him. Firstly I don’t think it sets a good example of a senior figure within the game criticising referees and as a coach he needs to be focused on controlling the things he and his players can control, zero excuses, we had enough in us to win the game regardless of referee decisions and that’s what he should be focusing on.

He has similar form complaining about injuries, he and his squad can only control what they can control, ref calls and injuries (to a large extent) you can’t control, moaning about it in pre / post match interviews looks like you’re looking for excuses, rather than trying to breed a culture of overcoming problems being faced.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

I don't recall him complaining about Mr Hicks , when during the first match of the 2017 season his players twice pushed Leigh players into their own full back as he was attempting to catch a kick , resulting both times on CAS scoring try's 

It's not like he holds a grudge from 5 years ago or anything embarrassing like that, for instance...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Powell behaves like a prat is hardly news.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Powell complaining publicly should not come as a surprise to anyone. 

The comments of him and other coaches this season are why I have the opinion that they should not be able to influence the rules and disciplinary. They are often more one-eyed than Mick Gledhill and it really should be kept independent. 

I'm not sure what good comes from his comments. 

Edited by Dave T
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

It's not like he holds a grudge from 5 years ago or anything embarrassing like that, for instance...

The point being , he's happy to coach his players to cheat ( dangerously ) , but moans when calls don't go his way 

• Like 1

He's not alone in this sort of "we wuz robbed" post-match  comment. In my opinion, he's a good, hard and effective "old school" manager/coach and does not need to do this sort of thing. Maybe he's thinking this sort of attention-seeking comment goes well with those who think the ref is "agin" their team and that he's standing up for his lads.  I don't think that sort of approach works any more, no matter who is saying it.  It he's not happy with the ref, he should take it up with the RFL.

• Like 2

Some y' win, some y' lose when it comes to poor refereeing decisions. If I were a coach I'd be concentrating on how we allow them to get in a situation to score in the first instance. Learn from it and move on.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, JohnM said:

He's not alone in this sort of "we wuz robbed" post-match  comment. In my opinion, he's a good, hard and effective "old school" manager/coach and does not need to do this sort of thing. Maybe he's thinking this sort of attention-seeking comment goes well with those who think the ref is "agin" their team and that he's standing up for his lads.  I don't think that sort of approach works any more, no matter who is saying it.  It he's not happy with the ref, he should take it up with the RFL.

I don't think there is much more to it than most coaches are bad losers. Legendary coaches have moaned like this, and they do this (probably worse) in other sports. 

48 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I don't think there is much more to it than most coaches are bad losers. Legendary coaches have moaned like this, and they do this (probably worse) in other sports. 

True enough. It not unique to Powell, to our sport, nor to sport in general. It might make for headlines for fans but...uh hu....I feel a Meldrew coming on! 😀 😀 😀 😀