The NRL Grand Final to sell itself to the highest bidder?

How to make friends and influence people….

“I have been working with Peter [V’landys], and I understand his issues. But let’s be fair dinkum here, the grand final is not going to Queensland. No one wants the grand final in Queensland,” he said, adding that Queensland was “second rate” to NSW.

Two sub eighty thousand crowds (not including the Covid years) in something like 25 years would surely mean the finances would have to be very, very good to play it in a 52,000 Suncorp. 

I imagine if they did do this and played finals in Brisbane, they’d have to give Magic Weekend to NSW as you could have an origin game, Magic Weekend and a Grand Final in Brisbane in one year. 

3 hours ago, Eddie said:

“I have been working with Peter [V’landys], and I understand his issues. But let’s be fair dinkum here, the grand final is not going to Queensland. No one wants the grand final in Queensland,” he said, adding that Queensland was “second rate” to NSW.

Don`t be put off by that mate, NSW Premier Perrottet and V`landy`s are tight, that`s just political theatre. Perrottet is a mad West Tigers` supporter, he was tweeting about Jai Arrow`s missed shot at field goal the other day in Souths` loss to the Tigers.

Him saying the " second rate " remark about Queensland will be some not so subtle SOO dig, Perrottet has an interest in SOO being a success as well, it`s good for the economy.

4 hours ago, The Future is League said:

It appears they want to play the bulk of the games in Sydney and Brisbane, and then have a couple up for grabs in other states.

I think this is a not only a revenue raising measure, which would be a big part of it, but also laying the groundwork with eyes to establishing  teams in other areas. We`ve got Indigenous Round, Magic Weekend, hopefully Test matches, club games being spread around and perhaps a GF once, maybe twice a decade in a Perth or N.Z.

Hopefully on the back of that we might to see a bit of interest in setting up a franchise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, JM2010 said:

What about the MCG?

People think some Rugby League fans in the UK are insular but the reaction in NSW and Queensland if this happened would be on a different level. It'd be funny just for that alone.

They'd still probably sell it out too.

4 hours ago, M j M said:

People think some Rugby League fans in the UK are insular but the reaction in NSW and Queensland if this happened would be on a different level. It'd be funny just for that alone.

They'd still probably sell it out too.

Tbf the M62 to London isn’t as far as Sydney to Melbourne. 

19 minutes ago, Eddie said:

We're going to really need to know about the MCG's coach parking arrangements before deciding if the comparison is fair.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

16 hours ago, Eddie said:

He is the NSW premier though - that's how they talk in Oz.

• Like 1

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

2 hours ago, Eddie said:

Culturally it is much greater.

HTH

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

16 hours ago, Jughead said:

Two sub eighty thousand crowds (not including the Covid years) in something like 25 years would surely mean the finances would have to be very, very good to play it in a 52,000 Suncorp. 

I imagine if they did do this and played finals in Brisbane, they’d have to give Magic Weekend to NSW as you could have an origin game, Magic Weekend and a Grand Final in Brisbane in one year. 

The Final should go to the highest bidder, revenue from the likely ticket sales will be taken into consideration alongside each bid to select the best deal for the sport. Not doing this is madness, do we want to bring money into the sport or not. The same should happen with Magic Weekend, the Challenge Cup and the Grand Final both here and down under.

• Confused 1

9 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

The Final should go to the highest bidder, revenue from the likely ticket sales will be taken into consideration alongside each bid to select the best deal for the sport. Not doing this is madness, do we want to bring money into the sport or not. The same should happen with Magic Weekend, the Challenge Cup and the Grand Final both here and down under.

If we took our games to the highest bidder they’d end up at Thatto Heath. 

21 hours ago, JM2010 said:

What about the MCG?

Huge stadium,totally unsuitable for watching RL,but I’m sure V,Landys isn’t bothered by the spectators match day experience as long as the dollars are rolling in.

16 hours ago, Davo5 said:

Huge stadium,totally unsuitable for watching RL,but I’m sure V,Landys isn’t bothered by the spectators match day experience as long as the dollars are rolling in.

Peter V'landys is an  account by profession and with all accountants its all about the money, but also he played our game as a schoolboy and is a genuine fan of our game

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

Peter V'landys is an  account by profession and with all accountants its all about the money, but also he played our game as a schoolboy and is a genuine fan of our game

Yeah mate and if the fans are happy the money will roll in.

Anyway it`s breaking on the news as I type, the GF is staying in Sydney and Brookvale and Kogarah are getting major upgrades and Penrith their new stadium.  $800m of stadium investment and as V`landy`s said on the news " we had a deal ".

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Future is League said:

The only thing he’s bothered about is making money period,that’s why he’s talking about selling the NRL’s showpiece off to the highest bidder & isn’t bothered about the location.

39 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

Yeah mate and if the fans are happy the money will roll in.

Anyway it`s breaking on the news as I type, the GF is staying in Sydney and Brookvale and Kogarah are getting major upgrades and Penrith their new stadium.  $800m of stadium investment and as V`landy`s said on the news " we had a deal ".

Wasn’t those suburban stadium upgrades announced last year ?

1 minute ago, Davo5 said:

Wasn’t those suburban stadium upgrades announced last year ?

Seems to me someone started a rumour that there was some question whether they were going ahead, anti-League types piled in saying that were too many new stadiums.

Personally I think the whole thing was a bit of theatre, not quite sure what they were trying to distract us from, but anyway the whole thing was cleared up today. 

Probably just an opportunity for the Gov`t to re-announce them and V`landy`s playing along for the free publicity because it was big news over here. I was watching the midday news today and it was third or fourth story in, have to admit I was surprised.

Anyway looks like we`re getting them and I think they are essential, it`s hard enough getting people to the footy over here, what with big TV`s and all that, so you got to really make it an experience. Hopefully lead in to more memberships as well, something we`ve never performed well in.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Davo5 said:

The only thing he’s bothered about is making money period,that’s why he’s talking about selling the NRL’s showpiece off to the highest bidder & isn’t bothered about the location.

I wish we had people involved here interested in making money and not just boosting their own interests. 

• Like 1