The NRL Grand Final to sell itself to the highest bidder?

3 hours ago, The Rocket said:

Seems to me someone started a rumour that there was some question whether they were going ahead, anti-League types piled in saying that were too many new stadiums.

Interesting that that is the opposition (and I have seen it), given that a key requirement, and why they will get funding, is that they cannot be for the exclusive use of rugby league.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

4 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Interesting that that is the opposition (and I have seen it), given that a key requirement, and why they will get funding, is that they cannot be for the exclusive use of rugby league.

If the main opposition is from those with an interest in a sport played on a cricket field sized oval, then the stadiums only having a 120m by 68m rectangular field effectively precludes them being used for their sport even if a stadium has to be available for other uses.

Edited by Barley Mow
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Barley Mow said:

If the main opposition is from those with an interest in a sport played on a cricket field sized oval, then the stadiums only having a 120m by 74m rectangular field effectively precludes them being used for their sport even if a stadium has to be available for other uses.

To be fair, where I can follow it, the main opposition is from people who think the NSW government shouldn’t be funding sports stadiums for clubs who should be able to access funding from elsewhere including from themselves. There is no significant AFL issue that I can see.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

4 hours ago, gingerjon said:

True, soccer and union will be able to use them but everyone knows this is primarily about Rugby League.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, The Rocket said:

True, soccer and union will be able to use them but everyone knows this is primarily about Rugby League.

Just to confirm:

The NRL has won the hotly contested fight to stage the first fixture at the new $900 million Sydney Football Stadium with a Sydney Roosters v South Sydney Rabbitohs blockbuster on September 2.

Rugby league had to knock off a rugby union bid for a Wallabies v Springboks Test match and soccer’s proposal to get first use of the venue with the Matildas against a strong international side.

We can reveal the Roosters v Rabbitohs grudge match will be played on the Friday night in round 25, with the Wallabies v South Africa clash 24 hours later on the Saturday.

That`s a League club game getting precedence over rival code internationals.

Edited by The Rocket
  • Like 4

On 28/04/2022 at 12:55, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

The Final should go to the highest bidder, revenue from the likely ticket sales will be taken into consideration alongside each bid to select the best deal for the sport. Not doing this is madness, do we want to bring money into the sport or not. The same should happen with Magic Weekend, the Challenge Cup and the Grand Final both here and down under.

Challenge Cup St.James Park please.

• Like 1

On 29/04/2022 at 11:46, The Rocket said:

Yeah mate and if the fans are happy the money will roll in.

Anyway it`s breaking on the news as I type, the GF is staying in Sydney and Brookvale and Kogarah are getting major upgrades and Penrith their new stadium.  $800m of stadium investment and as V`landy`s said on the news " we had a deal ".

Why is Kogarah getting a up grade as they don't have the fans rolling in ?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, EggFace said:

Why is Kogarah getting a up grade as they don't have the fans rolling in ?

It`s a good question mate because I thought, like a lot of people, that St. George`s long-term future was in Wollongong, but I suppose that might be 30 years off. But even then I suppose they will back some marquee matches. I honestly thought they might be better spending the money on Cronulla`s home ground, the complication there though is that is privately owned by the Sharks and a fair bit further south.

I think what it came down to in the end was the location of Kogarah, apart from the 45 000 seat SFS there`s nothing else close, plus very good public transport and that the area is also a soccer stronghold so that they they will have another guaranteed tenant with an A-League soccer team, both men`s and women`s.

As to the number of new stadiums in Sydney, I think there is a view in Govt`s now there is a lot of money to be had hosting big tournaments of all codes and the rise of women`s sport has effectively doubled this. And if you can get people to travel from overseas to attend these tournaments they might spend another week or two travelling around the country or the state.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Rocket said:

It`s a good question mate because I thought, like a lot of people, that St. George`s long-term future was in Wollongong, but I suppose that might be 30 years off. But even then I suppose they will back some marquee matches. I honestly thought they might be better spending the money on Cronulla`s home ground, the complication there though is that is privately owned by the Sharks and a fair bit further south.

I think what it came down to in the end was the location of Kogarah, apart from the 45 000 seat SFS there`s nothing else close, plus very good public transport and that the area is also a soccer stronghold so that they they will have another guaranteed tenant with an A-League soccer team, both men`s and women`s.

As to the number of new stadiums in Sydney, I think there is a view in Govt`s now there is a lot of money to be had hosting big tournaments of all codes and the rise of women`s sport has effectively doubled this. And if you can get people to travel from overseas to attend these tournaments they might spend another week or two travelling around the country or the state.

Great post as I noticed when Kogarah was updated in the late 80's the fans didn't turn up droves....maybe St.Illawarra will move full time to the Gong and maybe Soccer will be the team in Kogarah ( not that I care for the game) but Australia seems to have a habit of having more stadiums then teams sometimes ;0

• Like 1

They mightn`t have got the GF but they sure sound like they are going to put on a good show at Magic Weekend.

Press release from the NRL this morning:

Sold out Saturday for NRL Magic Round Brisbane - NRL

This year’s NRL Magic Round Brisbane, delivered by KFC, is set to be the biggest Rugby League festival ever, with the National Rugby League (NRL) today announcing that tickets for Saturday 14 May and three-day passes have already sold out.

So that`s 52 000 tickets sold on the Saturday and given there`s 30 000 interstate travellers probably at least 30 000 for the Friday and Sunday. Broncos put a good showing tonight and Friday will probably go as well.

• Like 1