What you enjoy the most about Rugby League?

16 hours ago, Dunbar said:

As someone who played in the forwards and absolutely loved 80 minutes of giving and (unfortunately) receiving big hits it is the physical nature of the game I enjoy the most.

I can enjoy slight of hand skill and a spectacular try but if it hasn't been earned by getting on top of the opposition physically it doesn't feel the same.  It is why I have never really enjoyed the 7's or 9's version of the game... although I absolutely recognise it has a place in showcasing our sport.

I had a mate at school, we couldn`t have come from more different families, he had a drunken stepfather and a sister who moved out of home suspiciously young, but we were real tight.

I remember during a game of League at school once he yelled out for all and sundry, " Hurrah ! Rocket`s finally made a tackle ". #####.

I went and saw him a couple of years ago, we sat as his kitchen table and I told him about that day, he laughed and said, " Rocket, I just used to love tackling, just loved it ". I suppose maybe that was I was an outside back and he was a forward.

• Like 3

The big events. I love a final, in recent years we’ve been blessed with cup finals that have been close but also seen underdogs win and Grand Finals that have been equally close or had some interesting stories around them (Cas, Salford and Catalans getting to a final) and the day itself is always good fun. Finals days are like a who’s who of rugby league shirts, they’re the two best attended events of the year and we have some great players and moments in them. 

Having stadium closures made me realise it is going to the match that makes the sport.

I like that you get to know the people in your 'spec'. People from all backgrounds who you may never normally meet.

I recall a few years, an elderly fan took ill (suspected heart attack) a few rows in front of me. One of the people who sits near me got up from his seat and performed CPR until paramedics arrived.

Turns out he was a Consultant at the local hospital. And nobody around us knew that until that night.

People are what make this sport. The fans, players, referees, volunteers. Wouldn't be the same, or here at all, without any of them.

• Like 2

Players who actually have a link with their home town clubs giving 100% and giving/taking a battering week after week and all for less than a weeks wage for a footballer 

Also the fact that even the top stars are approachable, will chat with fans and are often seen around town doing the same things as the rest of us

• Like 3

The fact the sport and it's people are still accessible to the fans and not in some self important bubble like other sports.

As an example today at the Giants v Wigan reserves game at a fairly small local rugby ground, Ian Watson, Leroy Cudjoe, Greg Brown, Jake Wardle, Jerry McGilvary, Sean O'Loughlin, Matt Peet, Lee Briers and a couple of other of Wigan's players and coaching team turned up and stood and mingled and chatted to the fans with none of them acting more important, this is something i would hate Rugby League to lose as it shows the game and it's top people are still on a level with reality.

• Like 5

Lots of things, but it’s unmatched for excitement when your team makes a break, whether it’s a prop steamrollering through or a winger searing down the wing, the structure of rugby league means that there’s a good chance a score is on.  Love it.

Many years ago when I first watched it, within the first few minutes of the video which Dave Silcock had kindly loaned me I saw something which helped me finally understand the true reason why the rouge was introduced into Canadian rugby football sometime in the late 1800s: a line drop-out after the attacking team attempted to score a touchdown from a kick.  The more I watched, the more I knew that RL is the game I was looking for way back in my teens when (due to the reference to the Canadian championship of rugby football on the Grey Cup) I went looking for information about rugby in the local library but could only find information about the inferior form of rugby, i.e. Union.  RL truly is the most Canadian game which Canadians don't know about.

I was also impressed by the same things which other members have described: the skill, resilience and toughness of the players, and also by the fact that because penalties are always costly they really have to keep their cool at all times.  In other sports players get away with infractions at times, but in RL there's really no room for that.

• Like 2

If I was RU supporter, watching RL repeatedly shoot itself in the foot. 

I'm not so I like the openness of the game which lends itself to being very watchable live or on media. 

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

I think for one thing you won't find a better all round athlete anywhere than in professional rugby league. Show me any other sport (perhaps ice hockey I suppose) with that same blend of skill, speed, strength, toughness and stamina. 

I also think it's a game that lends itself to great drama. The momentum swings, teams soaking up pressure set after set barely clinging on, the great tries, the last minute try savers. A good game of rugby league trumps any other sport imo. But even a fairly poor one always has some enjoyable moments.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, MZH said:

I think for one thing you won't find a better all round athlete anywhere than in professional rugby league. Show me any other sport (perhaps ice hockey I suppose) with that same blend of skill, speed, strength, toughness and stamina. 

I also think it's a game that lends itself to great drama. The momentum swings, teams soaking up pressure set after set barely clinging on, the great tries, the last minute try savers. A good game of rugby league trumps any other sport imo. But even a fairly poor one always has some enjoyable moments.

And not only that but the range of skills within that. 

A lot of other sports showcase skills but the range of skills exhibited is restricted.

Name me a sport that involves this range of skills; use of hands and feet ( the passing and the kicking games and the variety of passes and kicks within that ); physical contact ( the tackle ); running ( both short and long distances ). 

Agree with the above. So much variety in a match and every tackle matters. Some sports you can go and make a cup of tea and not miss much (or with the other code even go to the supermarket to buy the tea, boil the kettle and then make some tea without missing anything interesting) but a good, well matched game of RL demands constant attention.

Edited by Rawschach

I really love the camaraderie of the RL message boards. Especially the wide range of opinions and the worldly knowledge of the members.😐

it's a right laugh...

• Like 1

I’m finding it hard to be positive to be honest from where I’m sitting in London but….ultimately it’s an amazing, exciting, sport. 

4 minutes ago, EssexRL said:

I’m finding it hard to be positive to be honest from where I’m sitting in London but….ultimately it’s an amazing, exciting, sport. 

If I lived in London I'd be depressed as well 😀

• Haha 1