Fri 29th Apr-Sun 1st May: The Betfred Championship (Non-TV) Match Thread

Discuss this weekend's Championship games here.

FRIDAY 29th APRIL
Leigh Centurions v Sheffield Eagles KO 20:00

SATURDAY 30th APRIL 
Newcastle Thunder v Halifax Panthers KO 15:00 

SUNDAY 1st MAY
Featherstone Rovers v Widnes Vikings KO 15:00
London Broncos v Dewsbury Rams KO 15:00
Whitehaven v Bradford Bulls KO 15:00
Workington Town v Batley Bulldogs KO 14:00

Going with my heart rather than my head on the London game. Also its my 50th Birthday, so I really hope the Bronocos give me a surprise birthday gift here

• Like 1

FRIDAY 29th APRIL
Leigh Centurions v Sheffield Eagles Leigh by 28

SATURDAY 30th APRIL 
Newcastle Thunder v Halifax Panthers Fax by 24

SUNDAY 1st MAY
Featherstone Rovers v Widnes Vikings Fev by 26
London Broncos v Dewsbury Rams London by 4
Whitehaven v Bradford Bulls Bulls by 16
Workington Town v Batley Bulldogs Batley by 24

The tough ones on paper to predict look like London and Haven and if London don't win they are under real pressure as you assume Dewsbury are one of their rivals for the other relegation spot. Same goes for Haven who if they can sneak a win look in decent shape to stay up. I feel Bradford should have more than enough to win this game though. Other games should go with form.

I'll repeat last week's prediction that came off!

"All home wins, with the exception of Batley away" 

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

Leigh Centurions v Sheffield Eagles

Newcastle Thunder v Halifax Panthers  
Featherstone Rovers v Widnes Vikings 
London Broncos v Dewsbury Rams
Whitehaven v Bradford Bulls
Workington Town v Batley Bulldogs 

And Hopefully 

Barrow Raiders V York knights 🤞

BarrowRaiders-Enforcer-1.png

FRIDAY 29th APRIL
Leigh Centurions 42 v 12 Sheffield Eagles 

SATURDAY 30th APRIL 
Newcastle Thunder 20 v 20 Halifax Panthers

SUNDAY 1st MAY
Featherstone Rovers 32 v 18 Widnes Vikings
London Broncos 12 v 10 Dewsbury Rams 
Whitehaven 10 v 28 Bradford Bulls
Workington Town 12 v 26 Batley Bulldogs

Edited by fevtom

7 hours ago, John Drake said:

Discuss this weekend's Championship games here.

FRIDAY 29th APRIL

SATURDAY 30th APRIL 

SUNDAY 1st MAY

Hmmm, I may have made a mistake....

Ever the optimist.😁

• Like 1

Missed tonight at Leigh v Sheffield, as I thought the scoreline reflected how I expected it to be, Fev and Leigh are seemingly so far ahead (Batley may object to that comment) of the rest of the comp that so many games are foregone conclusions for those teams, I have always been very wary of moving back to a 14 team SL but now I think that the gulf in abillity between the best 14 teams in the British game have left the rest far behind.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Missed tonight at Leigh v Sheffield, as I thought the scoreline reflected how I expected it to be, Fev and Leigh are seemingly so far ahead (Batley may object to that comment) of the rest of the comp that so many games are foregone conclusions for those teams, I have always been very wary of moving back to a 14 team SL but now I think that the gulf in abillity between the best 14 teams in the British game have left the rest far behind.

Fev just hit a little dip in form and probably should have lost to Fax as well and at this moment in time I would much rather play Fev than play Leigh but that said their squad still looks incredible. I will probably give the away game at Leigh a miss when we play them, the home game we were totally dominated even though it was not really reflected in the score and I would be surprised if we could get within 30 points of them despite me thinking we are best of the rest with Batley and York.

7 hours ago, Snowys Backside said:

Leigh rested a few and why not. Fair play to Sheffield who never gave up.

No Thackeray for Sheffield either - minor injury and definitely not worth the risk in a game with limited chance of winning. 

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

9 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Would you franchise it, though? Fev and Leigh would have to maintain that spending and more and still risk instant relegation and the kind of yoyoing that doesn't help anyone.

One of these two clubs will have spent a lot of money just to end up in the same place again, fighting with (probably) Toulouse next year. 

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

9 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Missed tonight at Leigh v Sheffield, as I thought the scoreline reflected how I expected it to be, Fev and Leigh are seemingly so far ahead (Batley may object to that comment) of the rest of the comp that so many games are foregone conclusions for those teams

I think it's still the case that the Championship does not have an even distribution of central funding so those gaps are, unless something completely unexpected happens, only going to get wider.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

17 minutes ago, tim2 said:

One of these two clubs will have spent a lot of money just to end up in the same place again, fighting with (probably) Toulouse next year. 

That's true T but you've got to understand that FEV don't rely on someone's checkbook they make plenty of their own  money and will do the same next year no matter what division the're in

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, tim2 said:

Would you franchise it, though? Fev and Leigh would have to maintain that spending and more and still risk instant relegation and the kind of yoyoing that doesn't help anyone.

No Tim I wouldn't franchise it, I still think it is important to the championship teams to have that goal of promotion to play for, obviously the increased funding for being in SL would help in player recruitment but you are correct one of Fev and Leigh are going to be very disappointed come the season's end.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

No Tim I wouldn't franchise it, I still think it is important to the championship teams to have that goal of promotion to play for, obviously the increased funding for being in SL would help in player recruitment but you are correct one of Fev and Leigh are going to be very disappointed come the season's end.

Definitely agree with this, hope it’s not Fev but as a Fev fan in recent years I’m used to disappointment 😂😂

2 hours ago, tim2 said:

No Thackeray for Sheffield either - minor injury and definitely not worth the risk in a game with limited chance of winning. 

The Eagles were well organised in defence as they usually are , they missed Thackeray going forward , and I'll expect more in attack from them next week 

14 hours ago, doc said:

Hmmm, I may have made a mistake....

Ever the optimist.😁

I wouldn’t be too surprised. We’ve been doing enough to win games without being as comfortable as most would expect us to be, like Leigh currently are, and that shows in the points difference.

The dropped point at Batley felt like it was coming for a while. We’ve picked up since then but i’m glad Leigh and York were out of the way early doors and not last month.

1 minute ago, fevtom said:

I wouldn’t be too surprised. We’ve been doing enough to win games without being as comfortable as most would expect us to be, like Leigh currently are, and that shows in the points difference.

The dropped point at Batley felt like it was coming for a while. We’ve picked up since then but i’m glad Leigh and York were out of the way early doors and not last month.

As a Leigh fan, I thought the game at Fev came to early for a team that had just been assembled together, but it is what it is, really looking forward to the next two league games, all important in getting home advantage for the final, incidentally I absolutely disagree with a Grand Final being at the home of one of the competing teams it should be at a neutral venue just as the SL Grand Final is.

28 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

As a Leigh fan, I thought the game at Fev came to early for a team that had just been assembled together, but it is what it is, really looking forward to the next two league games, all important in getting home advantage for the final, incidentally I absolutely disagree with a Grand Final being at the home of one of the competing teams it should be at a neutral venue just as the SL Grand Final is.

I agree. I prefer a final at a neutral venue but I can see the need to give the team that wins the league some kind of reward. In an ideal world, i’d like to see the league winners promoted automatically and the next four teams in a play off with the final at a neutral venue. It’ll never happen though.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Don't agree. I would actually prefer to dispose of the playoffs and Grand Final and just promote the top team. The prize of Super League sould not be decided on a one-off game. In an ideal world you'd have 2 up and down with 1 automatic and 1 via play-offs but we don't have enough money in the game to make that viable.

However, if you need the play-offs to generate some kind of end of season excitement then you should be rewarded for finishing in a higher position.

• Like 3