Fri 29th Apr-Sun 1st May: The Betfred Championship (Non-TV) Match Thread

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

As a Leigh fan, I thought the game at Fev came to early for a team that had just been assembled together, but it is what it is, really looking forward to the next two league games, all important in getting home advantage for the final, incidentally I absolutely disagree with a Grand Final being at the home of one of the competing teams it should be at a neutral venue just as the SL Grand Final is.

I'd normally agree with this, but having had to schlep to Toronto and Toulouse for the last two, I reckon we're due a turn in WF7.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, David Shepherd said:

I'd normally agree with this, but having had to schlep to Toronto and Toulouse for the last two, I reckon we're due a turn in WF7.

Is PO rd genuinely suitable to host the game Dave ? 

• Confused 1

38 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Just under 7,000 capacity isn't it ATM ? 

I'd assume a split gate 3,500 each 

Honestly don't know. I'd have thought about 9000. Depends on how many we can squeeze on the terraces.

Could easily be 15-20K up for it if we both make it. 

We might have to go posh and book Odsal

• Haha 4

4 minutes ago, David Shepherd said:

Honestly don't know. I'd have thought about 9000. Depends on how many we can squeeze on the terraces.

I was under the impression that it was around the 9000 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, David Shepherd said:

I thought it was 9 before you put the new stands up 

On 29/04/2022 at 13:18, John Drake said:

Discuss this weekend's Championship games here.

FRIDAY 29th APRIL
Leigh Centurions v Sheffield Eagles KO 20:00

SATURDAY 30th APRIL 
Newcastle Thunder v Halifax Panthers KO 15:00 

SUNDAY 1st MAY
Featherstone Rovers v Widnes Vikings KO 15:00
London Broncos v Dewsbury Rams KO 15:00
Whitehaven v Bradford Bulls KO 15:00
Workington Town v Batley Bulldogs KO 14:00

Missed doing Friday and Saturday games. You won't believe me, But I would have got the scores bang on. Honestly !

Featherstone 36-16 Widnes

London Broncos 22-16 Dewsbury

Whitehaven 18-26 Bradford

workington 12-28 Batley

7 hours ago, fevtom said:

I agree. I prefer a final at a neutral venue but I can see the need to give the team that wins the league some kind of reward. In an ideal world, i’d like to see the league winners promoted automatically and the next four teams in a play off with the final at a neutral venue. It’ll never happen though.

7 hours ago, tim2 said:

Don't agree. I would actually prefer to dispose of the playoffs and Grand Final and just promote the top team. The prize of Super League sould not be decided on a one-off game. In an ideal world you'd have 2 up and down with 1 automatic and 1 via play-offs but we don't have enough money in the game to make that viable.

However, if you need the play-offs to generate some kind of end of season excitement then you should be rewarded for finishing in a higher position.

I believe the reward for finishing top is enough with home fixtures, incidentally the format is exactly the same as the lead up to the SL Grand Final, I have yet to hear anyone say the final shouldn't be played at Old Trafford but at the home of the highest placed team in end league placings to make the final, could any of you please explain why it should be different in the Championship Grand Final?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Harry Stottle said:

I believe the reward for finishing top is enough with home fixtures, incidentally the format is exactly the same as the lead up to the SL Grand Final, I have yet to hear anyone say the final shouldn't be played at Old Trafford but at the home of the highest placed team in end league placings to make the final, could any of you please explain why it should be different in the Championship Grand Final?

Because in one case there's promotion and in the other there isn't.

If you didn't have P&R, I'd agree.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

31 minutes ago, tim2 said:

Because in one case there's promotion and in the other there isn't.

If you didn't have P&R, I'd agree.

It's a final, and it was only changed from neutral venues because of Toronto and Toulouse's involvement which came after the Wembley Wire v Catalan final with the worst returned attendance ever, The RFL run scared of having a financial disaster of playing the Championship final at a neutral venue in this country.

Edited by Harry Stottle

5 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

It's a final, and it was only changed from neutral venues because of Toronto and Toulouse's involvement which came after the Wembley Wire v Catalan final with the worst returned attendance ever, The RFL run scared of having a financial disaster of playing the Championship final at a neutral venue in this country.

It's my opinion, and I don't really care either way as the Eagles won't be in it. As I said, I'd rather promotion not be decided on a one-off game. 

• Like 1

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

41 minutes ago, tim2 said:

It's my opinion, and I don't really care either way as the Eagles won't be in it. As I said, I'd rather promotion not be decided on a one-off game. 

That’s difficult to disagree with.