Blake Ferguson

5 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Yes , but 2 of the biggest and best 

Leigh East haven’t been anywhere near one of the best for several years now & even Miners have been struggling for the last few,although I did always enjoy visiting both,top clubs & good RL people.

6 hours ago, Davo5 said:

Leigh East haven’t been anywhere near one of the best for several years now & even Miners have been struggling for the last few,although I did always enjoy visiting both,top clubs & good RL people.

Quantify ' Best ' IYO ?

On 09/05/2022 at 12:35, Davo5 said:

Not at the their best and still producing this many signed up young players for Wigan, Saints & Warrington, imagine how many they would be producing if they were at their best.

54 minutes ago, binosh said:

Not at the their best and still producing this many signed up young players for Wigan, Saints & Warrington, imagine how many they would be producing if they were at their best.

Imagine if the local club's owner outbid Wigan, Saints and Warrington for these players and invested in the future? These kids aren't even getting that much to start with at the top clubs.

1 hour ago, Scubby said:

Imagine if the local club's owner outbid Wigan, Saints and Warrington for these players and invested in the future? These kids aren't even getting that much to start with at the top clubs.

And did what with them start a choir?

I noticed in the IMG thread you’re first comment was to mention decking, what’s your issue with Mr Beaumont, he’s permanently on your mind have you got a secret man crush?

Edited by binosh
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, binosh said:

And did what with them start a choir?

I noticed in the IMG thread you’re first comment was to you mention decking, what’s your issue with Mr Beaumont, he’s permanently on your mind have you got a secret man crush?

It is just a morbid fascination watching a guy spend millions hand to mouth year to year when he literally has a production line of young talent on his doorstep feeding his competitors. Eight years of ownership and counting and 2,100 at the last home game - so yep you gotta love the guy!

He will be pretty excited walking out at Wembley for a competition he sponsors I'm sure 😄 A bit like Denis Waterman RIP - star in it, write the theme tune, sing the theme tune. 

Edited by Scubby

49 minutes ago, Scubby said:

It is just a morbid fascination watching a guy spend millions hand to mouth year to year when he literally has a production line of young talent on his doorstep feeding his competitors. Eight years of ownership and counting and 2,100 at the last home game - so yep you gotta love the guy!

He will be pretty excited walking out at Wembley for a competition he sponsors I'm sure 😄 A bit like Denis Waterman RIP - star in it, write the theme tune, sing the theme tune. 

Yes there is a little irony about the 1895 Final, and of the crowd situation it's not at all good, but I think the team that has been assembled could have the adverse effect in the attendances in that it is too good for a lot of the opposition and many games are expected to be easy wins, would you pay to watch that each home game obviously at Leigh a good number of people are picking the matches they wish to attend and in addition the number of times Leigh have been on the box has in my opinion had a detrimental effect.

Mr Beaumont is putting a team together to challenge for the right to be promoted but has it as turned out - and with due respect to the other teams - only the home and away, bash and the GF game with Fev are creating any interest as far as the league goes.

If Leigh don't get promoted will Mr B. tell the Leigh public to do one in that he has provided as best he can but they are not reciprocating by attending, I wouldn't blame him if he did but as a fan that is the last thing that I would want to happen.

For Leigh or Fev I can't see it will be anything but the same next season for the team that stays in the Championship in that the only challenge will be from the team that gets relegated.

Edited by Harry Stottle
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Scubby said:

That's a good point Scubby, if the RFL allowed more club's to run academies then the cost to employ the lads could very well increase as there would be more places for them to go to a higher bidder.

3 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Yes there is a little irony about the 1895 Final, and of the crowd situation it's not at all good, but I think the team that has been assembled could have the adverse effect in the attendances in that it is too good for a lot of the opposition and many games are expected to be easy wins, would you pay to watch that each home game obviously at Leigh a good number of people are picking the matches they wish to attend and in addition the number of times Leigh have been on the box has in my opinion had a detrimental effect.

Mr Beaumont is putting a team together to challenge for the right to be promoted but has it as turned out - and with due respect to the other teams - only the home and away, bash and the GF game with Fev are creating any interest as far as the league goes.

If Leigh don't get promoted will Mr B. tell the Leigh public to do one in that he has provided as best he can but they are not reciprocating by attending, I wouldn't blame him if he did but as a fan that is the last thing that I would want to happen.

For Leigh or Fev I can't see it will be anything but the same next season for the team that stays in the Championship in that the only challenge will be from the team that gets relegated.

I agree Harry, I suppose I am playing devil's advocate a little in insinuating an alternative universe where the owner spent years investing in centres of excellence (even based around the community clubs). Perhaps made a priority to replicate the success of other clubs that have invested in the best home grown talent available - and for the long term. 

The alternative is the highs and lows that have followed. His gamble may pay off (and they have a really good shot) but if not it is a long way down to pick up and go again.

Just now, Harry Stottle said:

That's a good point Scubby, if the RFL allowed more club's to run academies then the cost to employ the lads could very well increase as there would be more places for them to go to a higher bidder.

He is a successful business man. He could bypass academies if he really wanted to and keep them with community clubs or loan them to League 1 clubs or send some of them on secondment to Australia until they are first team ready. He has chosen not to and has piled all his cash in a #### or bust strategy. If it comes off I will be the first to congratulate him - but it is a hard habit to break and then start going straight afterwards.

18 minutes ago, Scubby said:

He is a successful business man. He could bypass academies if he really wanted to and keep them with community clubs or loan them to League 1 clubs or send some of them on secondment to Australia until they are first team ready. He has chosen not to and has piled all his cash in a #### or bust strategy. If it comes off I will be the first to congratulate him - but it is a hard habit to break and then start going straight afterwards.

He's just doing what Rugby League ''owners'' have done (and consistently failed at) down the ages.

He's inflating his already bloated ego with his #### or bust strategy and the results are, at best, lack lustre.

Your idea, of investing for the long term is the last thing on his mind.

I can see him arguing that ''by the time that policy comes to fruition, I'll be dead anyway!''

28 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Irony indeed 'Arry. His ego boosting efforts are obviously not producing the backing (in Leigh) he thinks he deserves.

Perhaps he'd be better supported if he did invest in the community game.

Increasing participation numbers in the community might well improve his supporter base and attendances at Leigh's games. Creating a local development scheme might help him to grow the club steadily for years into the future and the community might be more willing to get behind him as a true benefactor. 

But it's his money, so he can do whatever wants with it.

With regard to your fans 'Arry, if they won't come and watch ''their team'' when they're winning then perhaps you need some new ones.

However, just assuming that their reason for staying away, is that the opposition are inferior could be a loyal fans cognitive bias and ignoring the other elephant in the room.

That it's Del Boy (and his strategy) they don't like. 

Edited by fighting irish
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, fighting irish said:

He's just doing what Rugby League ''owners'' have done (and consistently failed at) down the ages.

He's inflating his already bloated ego with his #### or bust strategy and the results are, at best, lack lustre.

Your idea, of investing for the long term is the last thing on his mind.

I can see him arguing that ''by the time that policy comes to fruition, I'll be dead anyway!''

Irony indeed 'Arry. His ego boosting efforts are obviously not producing the backing (in Leigh) he thinks he deserves.

Perhaps he'd be better supported if he did invest in the community game.

Increasing participation numbers in the community might well improve his supporter base and attendances at Leigh's games. Creating a local development scheme might help him to grow the club steadily for years into the future and the community might be more willing to get behind him as a true benefactor. 

But it's his money, so he can do whatever wants with it.

With regard to your fans 'Arry, if they won't come and watch ''their team'' when they're winning then perhaps you need some new ones.

However, just assuming that their reason for staying away, is that the opposition are inferior could be a loyal fans cognitive bias and ignoring the other elephant in the room.

That it's Del Boy (and his strategy) they don't like. 

He does some work with the community teams Irish, but asking him to do something which other clubs in the area are and will benefit from even further from in producing more kids suitable for academies is a forlorn ask, I would suggest that had the RFL granted him his wish when he applied for an academy licence that he would have had the foresight to work with what would eventually prove to be a production line for his club.

As for your last statement, I think the majority of Leigh fans with all his distractions realise that his heart is firmly at Leigh Centurions.

• Like 1

On 08/05/2022 at 07:46, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Chris Hill turns 35 this year, is he the last Super League player Leigh produced 

Joe Bullock and Chris Hankinson about 10 years ago before they were both ‘loaned’ to Barrow, also Frankie Halton now at HKR

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

Joe Bullock and Chris Hankinson about 10 years ago before they were both ‘loaned’ to Barrow, also Frankie Halton now at HKR

So hardly a hotbed of talent then?  Plus no train station and 2,100 fans…..what a real bonus for super league they’ll be.

• Confused 1

31 minutes ago, Dallas Mead said:

So hardly a hotbed of talent then?  Plus no train station and 2,100 fans…..what a real bonus for super league they’ll be.

Am aye bovvered, who ever it is us or Fev there are lots who will have a good moan, and you know what none of the fans of either club will be bovvered, in fact if it's us I will take great pleasure in it getting up people's noses who are bovvered.🤭

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dallas Mead said:

No need to be so upset sunshine, just enjoy our wonderful game of RL and what it might bring. 😎

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Dallas Mead said:

The question was who has come through the Academy that was disbanded due to no fixtures then no licence granted.

makinson and Burgess played for Leigh’s scholarship, neither from Leigh. O’Neill who had a great game for Wigan at the weekend is a Leyther, as is Wingfield at Saints and Tommys lad is probably 50/50😉all from top of head

10 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

The question was who has come through the Academy that was disbanded due to no fixtures then no licence granted.

makinson and Burgess played for Leigh’s scholarship, neither from Leigh. O’Neill who had a great game for Wigan at the weekend is a Leyther, as is Wingfield at Saints and Tommys lad is probably 50/50😉all from top of head

Plenty of players then, just need some fans 👍

19 hours ago, Scubby said:

Please explain your or bust strategy as I really dont think you are that thick?