NRL - commentary

I like it when two comms can see something completely differently and each say their piece before moving on. Interesting to hear how Slater and Gould are going as a partnership. Thanks for those comments, Rocket.

Up here in the past, Stevo used to be one for doubling down and insisting that the replay showed what he said had happened, even when the evidence sometimes told rather a different story.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

As I say, I haven't heard a lot of Slater as we don't get 9 here but I find Cronk insightful and thoughtful when I hear his analysis.   Seems that Smith is the odd one out from the Melbourne three.

It did cross my mind that some of these ex-players find it hard to take the whole thing seriously, including themselves in playing this role of the pundit. And that`s o.k because I think it reflects a certain amount of modesty, something I`ve always liked about League..

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Dave T said:

But in terms of Aussie coverage, it doesn't work to my tastes, in the main for the reasons I have already highlighted, but I'm not a fan of the jokey banter style that is prevalent in coverage I've seen. Even back in the RLWC a decade ago when Andrew Voss did the Premier coverage, I found it tiresome all the talk about local food and takeaways. It was praised a lot at the time imho because of the hatred for Eddie and Stevo. 

Spot on. If Voss was on every week here, he'd be more than tiresome. For a "world feed" talk of pies and pigeons was very low rent.

On 30/04/2022 at 19:21, Dave T said:

For me this is a shocker, and I'm baffled by the commentary which hears them all go over the top to play this down. 

This is why I struggle to watch a lot of the Aussie stuff, I find them worse than Baz and Tez. 

Who are the pundits? 

Four game ban for this tackle. 

• Like 1

I think Voss is superb. Some of his lines are very funny and he does a good job calling the game.  Cooper Cronk is great at explaining the game in a technical way - I watched a match where he called a try 3 plays before it was scored and explained what the attacking team were looking to do. So much better than 'quality play' 'get stuck in' etc 

The limitations of some of the commentators and pundits on the Superleague coverage do probably make the NRL stuff seem generally better (Gould is rubbish for example) but there are some very good ones on the NRL. 

• Like 5

I think the NRL commentary is very good . I’m a big Voss fan , he can see outside the NRL bubble as well . Cooper Cronk is superb , as is Mick Ennis . Greg Alexander is good , and Blocker is a bit old school but he’s good to listen to . I like having just two commentators and a sideline commentator , often Jake Duke who seems to be everywhere . I could really really do without the endless trailing of Matty Johns programmes - how many has he got ? - and how it’s unmissable with Gordy and Fletch and Johnny and Stevey and Davey and more people with nicknames . I watch NRL 360 although I dislike Kent who can’t be argued with , is always right , will shout you down and doesn’t seem very nice at all .  Comparing in general to what we get and you see how Sky give us complete and total tripe . O’Connor saw a great play the other day and could still only manage ‘ I think  he’s a quality player ‘ 

Edited by DavidM
  • Like 6

I agree that Voss is an excellent commentator: he's knowledgeable, often witty and a huge enthusiast for the world game! Dave Ginnane has an old school voice for commentating, like right out of the 50s, and is entertaining. Matt Russell and Warren Smith are more 'regular' callers, and altogether the mix of the four works really well. 

Of the colour commentators, Michael Ennis is very good, whilst Shane Flanagan, whilst being incredibly clued-up, quite dull, a bit like Corey Parker.

Greg Alexander is quality and King Benji looks to be a great addition.

For me, the commentary is a big let down of SoO and the GF.

• Like 3

I'm 100% with the two posts above.  Yes, there may be a few duds but on the whole the Fox teams are very good.

As for Vossy.  I listen to him every week and I always enjoy his commentary. 

Edit.  The 3 posts above

Edited by Dunbar

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

3 hours ago, DavidM said:

Matty Johns programmes - how many has he got ? - and how it’s unmissable with Gordy and Fletch and Johnny and Stevey and Davey and more people with nicknames . I watch NRL 360 although I dislike Kent who can’t be argued with , is always right , will shout you down and doesn’t seem very nice at all .

I actually enjoy the Matty John's show. Yeah, plenty of brain-candy stuff, but when serious they do know their stuff. And it can be very funny as they do appear to have a genuine rapport with many current players.

Kent is a tool. He made only a solitary NRL appearance and, imo, has been embittered by the fact. 

I do like Andrew Voss for the fact that he seems to value the worldwide game. But I do note that the praise for him includes that he is funny. That isn't a trait im interested in in a commentator. 

15 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I do like Andrew Voss for the fact that he seems to value the worldwide game. But I do note that the praise for him includes that he is funny. That isn't a trait im interested in in a commentator. 

Each to their own.  I don't think there is any part of life that can't be enhanced by a witty and well observed remark.

• Like 3

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

26 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I'm guessing posters mean 'witty observations' rather than full on stand-up comic. 

I like it that RL commentary is more cricket than soccer. Cricket is more stories and anecdotes, mixed with the action. Whilst soccer is so serious and so far up its own a-hole! 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Number 16 said:

I'm guessing posters mean 'witty observations' rather than full on stand-up comic. 

I like it that RL commentary is more cricket than soccer. Cricket is more stories and anecdotes, mixed with the action. Whilst soccer is so serious and so far up its own a-hole! 

Yeah, I accept its personal opinion, but I think a lead commentators role is relatively serious, with some of the pundits adding a little more personality. 

The problem with having 'being funny' as a part of the role is we end up with some of Stevo at his worst, and Tez and Baz, and Eddie Hemmings could be an issue with Stevo at times. 

I do generally like the NRL commentators and pundits. There's the odd exception to that but on the whole I find they communicate and call the game well.

The jokey banter doesn't really bother me as it seems more natural and less cringey and less forced than what we see from some in the UK, who in my opinion suffer from trying to copy the NRL pundits rather than just doing their own thing. It's all personal preference though.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dave T said:

The problem with having 'being funny' as a part of the role is we end up with some of Stevo at his worst, and Tez and Baz, and Eddie Hemmings could be an issue with Stevo at times. 

Go to a comedy show and you have so-so stand-ups, then you have stand-ups, as in side-splitting comics. Same with RL commentators: in Australia there are plenty of media opportunities for players, both during and after their careers. In England significantly less so. Options are more limited to UK broadcasters, hence Baz, Tez, JJB, Stevo etc

6 minutes ago, Number 16 said:

Go to a comedy show and you have so-so stand-ups, then you have stand-ups, as in side-splitting comics. Same with RL commentators: in Australia there are plenty of media opportunities for players, both during and after their careers. In England significantly less so. Options are more limited to UK broadcasters, hence Baz, Tez, JJB, Stevo etc

Whilst I agree with the sentiment of your post I do think the last sentance is wrong.

This season has shown far wider variety of RL pundits than I have ever known and many of the newer ones have come across fantastically well in my opinion. The trouble is the people you cite still get the most airtime when there are far better alternatives. 

14 minutes ago, Number 16 said:

The options are not more limited to broadcasters, they provide the opportunities to players and ex-players. 

As Damien highlights, we have seen broadcasters take a different approach over the last couple of years and we have seen some excellent people come through. 

Actually I agree! I was more thinking of the traditional broadcasters, the BBC and Sky. 

The newer channels and streams have unearthed some gems.

But, regarding my point about opportunity, it's simply because there are more voices needed. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, DavidM said:

I think the NRL commentary is very good . I’m a big Voss fan , he can see outside the NRL bubble as well . Cooper Cronk is superb , as is Mick Ennis . Greg Alexander is good , and Blocker is a bit old school but he’s good to listen to . I like having just two commentators and a sideline commentator , often Jake Duke who seems to be everywhere . I could really really do without the endless trailing of Matty Johns programmes - how many has he got ? - and how it’s unmissable with Gordy and Fletch and Johnny and Stevey and Davey and more people with nicknames . I watch NRL 360 although I dislike Kent who can’t be argued with , is always right , will shout you down and doesn’t seem very nice at all .  Comparing in general to what we get and you see how Sky give us complete and total tripe . O’Connor saw a great play the other day and could still only manage ‘ I think  he’s a quality player ‘ 

The Matty Johns show is the NRL equivalent to Mrs Brown's Boys.Matty loves the smutty stuff.The only good thing l remember on it was when a mobile phone went off in the studio and some wag shouted 'Its for you Fletch,it's the 1970's wanting their jokes back"

• Haha 1

I can speak Esperanto like a native.

On 01/05/2022 at 04:21, Dave T said:

For me this is a shocker, and I'm baffled by the commentary which hears them all go over the top to play this down. 

This is why I struggle to watch a lot of the Aussie stuff, I find them worse than Baz and Tez. 

Who are the pundits? 

On NRL 360 last night a clip was shown of an incident back in 1992 when Brad Fittler, playing for Penrith, was spear tackled headfirst into the ground during a match against Brisbane. Gould was then the Penrith coach. After the match the following comments were made on the tackle.

Gould.  The offence is the worst act of foul play imaginable.

Fittler. Most of the players agree it is time for some of the dangerous tackles to be cleared up.

The hypocrisy is there for all to see as Fittler agreed with Gould's comments on the video shown.

On Gould I have made my opinion of him well known on this forum. Summed up by a comment to Greg Alexander that the best decision ever made by the board since I became a member back in 2000 was to sack him.

• Like 2

On 02/05/2022 at 16:50, Number 16 said:

I actually enjoy the Matty John's show. Yeah, plenty of brain-candy stuff, but when serious they do know their stuff. And it can be very funny as they do appear to have a genuine rapport with many current players.

I don't often watch it but I saw some of it this morning after the Broncos game.  They did a piece on Nathan Hindmarsh and how he mastered the art of 3rd man in tackle.  I was laughing out loud, it was very funny.

Edited by Dunbar

• 3 weeks later...

Just watching the Panthers V Cowboys game, no try as the chaser makes contact with the head. The commentators just refuse to accept there was anything, saying they couldn't see it. 

It was blatant, right there in glorious HD, I don't understand what they are seeing. 

Why is there this insistence on ignoring foul play and just pretending it hasn't happened? 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Just watching the Panthers V Cowboys game, no try as the chaser makes contact with the head. The commentators just refuse to accept there was anything, saying they couldn't see it. 

It was blatant, right there in glorious HD, I don't understand what they are seeing. 

Why is there this insistence on ignoring foul play and just pretending it hasn't happened? 

I was watching that and the gap between what they were saying and what was on screen was so vast I wondered if there was a lag with the pictures.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

13 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

I was watching that and the gap between what they were saying and what was on screen was so vast I wondered if there was a lag with the pictures.

I must admit, when I first saw it, I was a bit distracted and thought they were reviewing it for foul play with a view to binning a player...