NRL - commentary

It's so funny to think as good as everyone says NRL callers are, and their refs come to that, after about 4 minutes and 27n seconds in front of UK crowds and Sky TV there'd be calls from someone new.

There might even be a protest organised to  bring back the chuckle brothers!

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

Just watching the Panthers V Cowboys game, no try as the chaser makes contact with the head. The commentators just refuse to accept there was anything, saying they couldn't see it. 

It was blatant, right there in glorious HD, I don't understand what they are seeing. 

Why is there this insistence on ignoring foul play and just pretending it hasn't happened? 

Think you are being a bit selective there Dave.  Yes, the commentators thought that penalty was harsh but later in the game the officials let a hit on Clearly after he had kicked the ball go and the commentators were calling for a penalty for contact with the kickers legs.

It is not that the commentators are ignoring foul play - they were in fact calling for it when it wasn't given - just they disagreed with you on that one.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

16 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Think you are being a bit selective there Dave.  Yes, the commentators thought that penalty was harsh but later in the game the officials let a hit on Clearly after he had kicked the ball go and the commentators were calling for a penalty for contact with the kickers legs.

It is not that the commentators are ignoring foul play - they were in fact calling for it when it wasn't given - just they disagreed with you on that one.

No. They didn't think it was harsh, they said none of them saw a head shot, despite it not even being in doubt. Its clear they were busy watching the knock on and didn't even think to watch for foul play. That's not a difference of opinion, they have not seen something, or worse ignored it. 

But they didn't even go to replays after they said they were confused. When my original post started this thread, it was on the back of a pundit - may have even been Mascord - stating that commentators brushing over this kind of thing are doing the fans a disservice, and I agree. 

Edited by Dave T

2 minutes ago, Dave T said:

No. They didn't think it was harsh, they said none of them saw a head shot, despite it not even being in doubt. Its clear they were busy watching the knock on and didn't even think to watch for foul play. That's not a difference of opinion, they have not seen something, or worse ignored it. 

But they didn't even go to replays after they said they were confused. When my original post started this thread, it was on the back of a pundit - may have even been Mascord - stating that commentators brushing over this kind of thing are doing the fans a disservice, and I agree. 

What about the one where the ref let the legs tackle on Clearly after the kick go and the commentators called for a penalty? 

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

37 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

What about the one where the ref let the legs tackle on Clearly after the kick go and the commentators called for a penalty? 

I haven't seen that mate, had to go out. But that's not really relevant to the no try decision. 

Just now, Dave T said:

I haven't seen that mate, had to go out. But that's not really relevant to the no try decision. 

It is relevant.  You have said that the 'Australian' commentators are insisting on ignoring foul play.  That was a clear example of where they have said there was foul play that the referee let go.

Anyway, I think that lumping all of the Aussie commentators together is problematic in itself.  At the beginning of this thread, we saw an horrific tackle being talked down by Gus Gould and co and yet the Fox team calling the same game said it was a probable send off straight away.

In the game you cited this morning (again Fox) - there was one incident where the ref called foul play and the commentators said it wasn't (the incident you have mentioned) and another where the commentators called foul play when the ref let it go.

I think you are making a problem on commentators ignoring or playing down foul play where there isn't one.  And definitely not one outside of the idiotic commentary from Gus Gould.

6 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

It is relevant.  You have said that the 'Australian' commentators are insisting on ignoring foul play.  That was a clear example of where they have said there was foul play that the referee let go.

Anyway, I think that lumping all of the Aussie commentators together is problematic in itself.  At the beginning of this thread, we saw an horrific tackle being talked down by Gus Gould and co and yet the Fox team calling the same game said it was a probable send off straight away.

In the game you cited this morning (again Fox) - there was one incident where the ref called foul play and the commentators said it wasn't (the incident you have mentioned) and another where the commentators called foul play when the ref let it go.

I think you are making a problem on commentators ignoring or playing down foul play where there isn't one.  And definitely not one outside of the idiotic commentary from Gus Gould.

Accusing commentators of downplaying foul play doesn't mean that they never call out foul play.

Even Baz and Tez get some things correct. 

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

Accusing commentators of downplaying foul play doesn't mean that they never call out foul play.

Even Baz and Tez get some things correct. 

I watch every game of NRL on Fox each week - either through Sky or WatchNRL.  I think you are well off on this assessment of yours but obviously you are not going to change your mind so I will leave it there.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, gingerjon said:

I was watching that and the gap between what they were saying and what was on screen was so vast I wondered if there was a lag with the pictures.

I must admit that was strange . It looked pretty self evident but none of the three saw it 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DavidM said:

I must admit that was strange . It looked pretty self evident but none of the three saw it 

And this is sort of my point. It's just really poor commentary. It's like they weren't even watching it tbh. 

7 minutes ago, Dave T said:

And this is sort of my point. It's just really poor commentary. It's like they weren't even watching it tbh. 

And my point is that there has been 121 hours of NRL this year so far (excluding golden point extra time) and if you have found two incidents of commentators downplaying foul play then it isn't enough to say all Australian commentators downplay foul play.

One thing I would say - and this is a bit of a generalisation - is that match commentators tend to call up foul play more when it is a star player who is on the receiving end of questionable treatment.

42 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

And my point is that there has been 121 hours of NRL this year so far (excluding golden point extra time) and if you have found two incidents of commentators downplaying foul play then it isn't enough to say all Australian commentators downplay foul play.

I'm not sure why you are taking this one to heart. I'm not the only one who has issues with the Aussie commentary, and it's your prerogative to like them, but the 121hrs point is rather silly. I've watched 2 or 3 games with commentary as I find them difficult to listen to, they diminish my enjoyment of a game, so I generally have music on instead and watch casually.

It's also silly to try and undermine my opinion with your last line. 

You said you were happy to leave it there, but replied on my next post. Our opinions differ on this, that's cool, you like the commentary, I don't.

38 minutes ago, Damien said:

When we have Baz and Tez condoning and ignoring foul play on a weekly basis then the Aussie commentators seem positively saintly in comparison.

Funnily enough though, we don't have people queueing up to defend that pair! 😆

4 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I'm not sure why you are taking this one to heart. I'm not the only one who has issues with the Aussie commentary, and it's your prerogative to like them, but the 121hrs point is rather silly. I've watched 2 or 3 games with commentary as I find them difficult to listen to, they diminish my enjoyment of a game, so I generally have music on instead and watch casually.

It's also silly to try and undermine my opinion with your last line. 

You said you were happy to leave it there, but replied on my next post. Our opinions differ on this, that's cool, you like the commentary, I don't.

You can call my point silly as much as you like.  But until you provide any kind of statistically significant evidence that the Australian commentators ignore foul play and just pretend it hasn't happened then I will continue to call out your two examples as being statistically irrelevant.

I guess the reason why I care (and I accept that this is unique to internet forums) is that you are normally a very sensible poster and I find your insistence that two examples is some kind of proof that it is endemic is frustrating.  The Aussie commentators on the whole have been generally supportive of the crackdown on foul play - even to the point where they have criticised the lack of consistency when yellow cards have not been brandished for incidents when they may have been earlier in the season.  In other words, the exact opposite of the attitudes shown by UK commentators and analysts.

We shouldn't call two examples 'everyone' and we shouldn't lump poor commentators as 'all', especially when one of them is Gus Gould and God knows no-one would ever want to be lumped in with him. 

10 hours ago, Dunbar said:

You can call my point silly as much as you like.  But until you provide any kind of statistically significant evidence that the Australian commentators ignore foul play and just pretend it hasn't happened then I will continue to call out your two examples as being statistically irrelevant.

I guess the reason why I care (and I accept that this is unique to internet forums) is that you are normally a very sensible poster and I find your insistence that two examples is some kind of proof that it is endemic is frustrating.  The Aussie commentators on the whole have been generally supportive of the crackdown on foul play - even to the point where they have criticised the lack of consistency when yellow cards have not been brandished for incidents when they may have been earlier in the season.  In other words, the exact opposite of the attitudes shown by UK commentators and analysts.

We shouldn't call two examples 'everyone' and we shouldn't lump poor commentators as 'all', especially when one of them is Gus Gould and God knows no-one would ever want to be lumped in with him. 

The reason it's a bit silly is opinions don't need to be based on statistical evidence - it's a new threshold to discussion that yiu seem to have created because you disagree. 

And you quote 'everyone' and 'all' in your last para which I don't think are quite attributable to me, which makes the point irrelevant. 

You mention the crackdown, but when they last had their crackdown (was it last year, they all roll into one now?) there was absolutely hysteria worse than the nonsense that was spouted by ours here. 

But, as per a few posts ago, we can agree to disagree, I'm not going to go to the steps of trying to prove my opinion with statistics.