“It’s been a struggle” - Trying to grow Rugby League in the US

Maybe if you all tried to build the sport rather than fighting against each other, it would be a bit easier… cc Greece. 

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

"There has never been a Challenge Cup semifinal of 65,000 either individually or combined" - Damien

I hope the Aussies create some kind of Development arm over there, the potential is truly enormous.

They could certainly do with some help. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RL Sonja said:

Maybe if you all tried to build the sport rather than fighting against each other, it would be a bit easier… cc Greece. 

Completely agree regarding the US but the Greece situation was very different and was due to a corrupt government minister who has been replaced which is allowing the game to grow.

• Like 3

Er ....... We have to accept two things:  we have a set most parochial opinions and outlook and probably the most financially limited sport. These are in direct contradiction to the quality of the game itself.

U S money will be aware of this and reject it as lacking vision and ambition.

The idea is that the Aussies can match this and provide a saleable product to the Americans says tons about the diggers view of themselves.

If it can't be seen as a money making activity in direct competition in an overloaded market it's a dead end street.

Then there's what a disaster a vibrant and marketed USRL  would have here, if they need to gain a playing strength to begin their competition.

Edited by Oxford

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

The problem for RL is it's arriving rather late. Soccer was late too and despite its global footprint has spent decades playing catchup and trying to win over fans. It's done it on a rather grand scale but Soccer had the profile to do that. 

If there was any hope for RL, it would need to do it on a smaller scale initially at least. Target areas like Utah and Florida, get a comp going in each area. Build clusters like that and then assess if and when they could move onto a regional conference league once a solid base has been established in various centres. 

• Like 1

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

45 minutes ago, RayCee said:

The problem for RL is it's arriving rather late. Soccer was late too and despite its global footprint has spent decades playing catchup and trying to win over fans

The push for over rated soccer has been hugely helped by having more cameo and walk on parts in films than Alfred Hitchcock, the entire MGM studio extras and the entire Sioux Nation combined.

So do you reckon TGG will get a comparable leg-up?

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

I think the Pacific push in the World Cup will surprise many.

You can expect PNG, Samoa and Tonga to all produce their best sides ever. For PNG, Olam and Coates could do anything. Samoa and Tonga have a vast number of quality players to pick from. 

Then of course you have the Kangaroos and the Kiwis. 

Watch out northern hemisphere I fear. 

• Like 1

"There has never been a Challenge Cup semifinal of 65,000 either individually or combined" - Damien

On 02/05/2022 at 05:10, Mumby Magic said:

When I started watching the game RL in the 80sthere were 5 or 6 Countries. The fact we are discussing USA in RL terms of any sense is a plus.

We were discussing USA in RL terms in the 80s (state of origin, Milwaukee).

• Like 1

Unlike Baseball and Ice Hockey there are no proper semi pro leagues for American Football and sadly all the players who make it in the NCAA and the massive crowds they have only a small few make it to the NFL which for the USA size 32 teams is and USA does have a Rugby Union history yet Gridiron is more like Rugby League.....I just scratch my ######.

On 01/05/2022 at 18:20, Whippet13 said:

Completely agree regarding the US but the Greece situation was very different and was due to a corrupt government minister who has been replaced which is allowing the game to grow.

I agree it was different in that respect but the principle of a splintered game holds universally. It hardly encourages new interest if the administration of a sport is completely fractured.

9 hours ago, Anita Bath said:

Those who dont make it to NFL have opportunities in the Canadian Football League. Its a longer field and they have an extra man and as my canadian friends delight in saying, they have bigger balls in Canada!

I think they're the same size now - something about importing all our quarterbacks had them preferring the slimmer ball...

As much as Big Picture likes to (edit)defacate on it, the CFL is the most successful league that's entirely within Canada. No longer the only one though with CPL and CEBL around.  But those Torontonians aren't happy unless they're playing in someone else's league.

Edited by TheReaper
Apparently you Brits don't allow potty mouth
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, TheReaper said:

I think they're the same size now - something about importing all our quarterbacks had them preferring the slimmer ball...

As much as Big Picture likes to (edit)defacate on it, the CFL is the most successful league that's entirely within Canada. No longer the only one though with CPL and CEBL around.  But those Torontonians aren't happy unless they're playing in someone else's league.

Oskee wee wee!

On 04/05/2022 at 00:14, EggFace said:

Unlike Baseball and Ice Hockey there are no proper semi pro leagues for American Football and sadly all the players who make it in the NCAA and the massive crowds they have only a small few make it to the NFL which for the USA size 32 teams is and USA does have a Rugby Union history yet Gridiron is more like Rugby League.....I just scratch my ######.

Next year the XFL will re launch with "The Rock's" sizeable wallet behind it... 

The thing is is that the appetite to watch contact sport across the country is provided for with the college teams, which are huge. I would say rather than worrying about the playing pool its about the spectators that you need through the door that you need to worry about. I dont think americans will give a toss where the players are from so it could be a bunch of imports in their team colours but its the fact that they are happy to watch College Football for their contact sport fix and how do you pull them away from that.. solve that problem and America is your oyster, but I dont think it is a problem very easily solved.

4 hours ago, RP London said:

I dont think americans will give a toss where the players are from so it could be a bunch of imports in their team colours but its the fact that they are happy to watch College Football for their contact sport fix and how do you pull them away from that.. solve that problem and America is your oyster, but I dont think it is a problem very easily solved.

The "problem" is thinking you need to take away from something else, instead of being in addition to what someone always has. 

I've said it before here and I'll say it again. You don't win someone over by saying "That thing you like? It sucks, stop it, this thing is better". You need to say "If you like this, I think you'll like this too".

Most "mainstream" sports fans (meaning the big 4 NA sports) are just that - sports fans. They cheer for all the big league teams in their city, and cheer for the next closest city, or one they have some connection to, if their own city doesn't have a team.

Edited by TheReaper
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, Anita Bath said:

Oskee wee wee!

Oskee Waa Waa!

5 hours ago, Cameron Highlander said:

Go Argoooooooos....

No one blows like the Arrrgoooos 😉

Jk, as much as we love to hate you guys, we need you guys alive and doing well so we actually have a rivalry.

Gonna be weird to see Banks in double blue this year 😞 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TheReaper said:

Oskee Waa Waa!

No one blows like the Arrrgoooos 😉

Jk, as much as we love to hate you guys, we need you guys alive and doing well so we actually have a rivalry.

Gonna be weird to see Banks in double blue this year 😞 

Banks will be subjected to the same lifelong hatred as previous traitors like Michael O’Shame and Morreale from fans in the hammer.

Bring on Labour Day.