Cricket question - Get your thinking caps on....

A mate of mine who is a professional coach sent me a cricketing conundrum today. It was raised by the commentary team during Yorkshire v Kent.

Would a combined Roses XI beat a combined team from the other 16 counties (ignore venue, conditions, toss)?

No overseas players allowed.

I'll post my selections later.... 

12 hours ago, Leeds Wire said:

A mate of mine who is a professional coach sent me a cricketing conundrum today. It was raised by the commentary team during Yorkshire v Kent.

Would a combined Roses XI beat a combined team from the other 16 counties (ignore venue, conditions, toss)?

No overseas players allowed.

I'll post my selections later.... 

You'd give the Roses side a very good chance.

Yorkshire's inability to bowl out a side in the second innings would probably see it be a draw though.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1. I'd have Steve Patterson is as captain. He's done a fantastic job at Yorkshire. Especially as, beforehand, he wasn't an automatic selection as a player.

2. Matt Parkinson can bowl people out in the second innings as well as anyone else in the game.

3. My Combined Roses Team:

Lythe Buttler Root Malan Brook Bairstow Livingstone Mahmood Patterson Anderson Parkinson

4. My Combined Other Counties Team:

Sibley Crawley Duckett Vince Stokes Moeen Pope Foakes Woakes C Overton Wood

5. Neither team can pick reliable openers. I think Alex Hales is the best but he's stepped away from four-day cricket. I haven't considered Adil Rashid for the same reason.

Edited by Wolford6
  • Like 1

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

Patterson is an interesting choice. I'm not sure but his form this season is worth a look. Who would he replace though?

I toyed with picking Bohannon but is he ready to take on that England attack? Maybe in red ball cricket he's a better pick than Livingstone, so I'll agree with you on that one.

It's so difficult to choose, I keep changing my mind.

Still think the Roses would win. 

Maybe a 3 match series of 4 days each, then we can pick squads? 😃

On 03/05/2022 at 07:35, Wolford6 said:

1. I'd have Steve Patterson is as captain. He's done a fantastic job at Yorkshire. Especially as, beforehand, he wasn't an automatic selection as a player.

2. Matt Parkinson can bowl people out in the second innings as well as anyone else in the game.

3. My Combined Roses Team:

Lythe Buttler Root Malan Brook Bairstow Livingstone Mahmood Patterson Anderson Parkinson

4. My Combined Other Counties Team:

Sibley Crawley Duckett Vince Stokes Moeen Pope Foakes Woakes C Overton Wood

5. Neither team can pick reliable openers. I think Alex Hales is the best but he's stepped away from four-day cricket. I haven't considered Adil Rashid for the same reason.

That’s not a bad Roses 50 over or T20 team either. 

9 hours ago, Northern Eel said:

That’s not a bad Roses 50 over or T20 team either. 

You'd definitely add Rashid to a T20 side.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

4 hours ago, DavidM said:

I’ve always wondered what a thinking cap was . Must admit I’m fascinated by where idioms and phrases people use come from 

https://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/293000.html

4 minutes ago, Leeds Wire said:

I hate you for this. I'll never be off that site now and may have to give up my job and my family to spend time on it 😰

Get on to "licking into shape" ...

On 06/05/2022 at 12:37, DavidM said:

I’ve always wondered what a thinking cap was . Must admit I’m fascinated by where idioms and phrases people use come from 

That's an interesting observation, David, and completely out of the blue...!

While Lancs (or any county for that matter) are unlikely to have all of their best 11 at the same time, I suspect if they did, it would give England a run for their money.

Jennings, Wells, Bohannon, Vilas (c), Livingstone, Buttler, Salt (wk), Mahmood, Ali, Anderson, Parkinson. Or could add Bailey for any of the seamers, if you wanted runs down the order, he averaged less than 20 last season with the ball and got some decent scores with the bat.

Suspect Yorkshire could do a similar list.