10-team Leagues

Just now, David Dockhouse Host said:

My actual words out of context.

If Leigh or York or (insert champ or L1 club) had 20 years of uninterrupted Super League funding instead of Salford (or insert name of mid/lower table SL club) what difference would there be? 

On the surface Salford look better than Leigh as they are a league above but what is the actual difference? 

If York had 20 years of SL funding could they have grown more than Salford, Wakefield etc. Etc?

Nonsense, unanswerable questions.

If, to use your target, Wakefield, were better, someone else would still be in their place.

The game is a hierarchy. All sport is.

Of course, "the game" should be better as a whole - but not a single top club is interested in facilitating that.

They are, by nature, protectionist.

Solving the games problems starts with reforming the governance of the game.

Good luck with that!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, dboy said:

And while I'm at it...

Degsy ands Carter (my club's CEO), go on about how the French teams bring nothing to the game.

I'm sure they mean they aren't bringing an income stream to SL in the way they should.

But they bring a media presence that club's like Salford don't.

FFS, Coronation Street, the UKs #1 soap, is set in a fictional Salford suburb, and we can't even get a mention on there!

Instead they choose to big-up a fictional non-league soccer club!! Weatherfield bloody County!

I should point at that when RL did have a feature of note on Corry - it was a fictional WAKEFIELD player".

Go on Duggie Ferguson!!!

I guess it depends on how you measure value.

Playing staff, stadium, potential, community clubs, TV exposure, gates etc. Etc. 

Each club will expect the RFL and rugby community to apply the measure that meets their own needs, so Leigh want a different measure than Toulouse

5 minutes ago, dboy said:

It really isn't mentioned "quite a bit", but yes, there was ONCE a RLW mention.

I don't know whether we blame the people running our game, or the blindness of the producers/writers of the programme for the ignorance of the games working class community roots, but the game's absence is shocking.

They can't even be bothered to take the ###### out of RL!

Are you an avid fan watching it all the time then?

Its not something I particularly care about and I'm not going to waste time arguing about it but based on what I have seen to say we cant even get a mention on there is nonsense. You even disproved it yourself in this post. We have got mentions plenty of times and as I say a current person is a RL player, I'm not sure what else you expect from a soap.

Edited by Damien

10 minutes ago, jamescolin said:

Go  back to one league that we used to have. Yorkshire clubs play each other and L:ancashire plus Cumberland play each other. Teams outside the two  to be equally distributed. Then the Yorkshire and Lancashier clubs play four teams from other county. Teams they play depending on their league position in previous engagement. Funds to be equally distrbuted between all teams that participatre. No promotion or relegation. Top 8 play off and Lancashire and Yorkshire cup competition. .All clubs in RL knock out competition. 

What do we do when the broadcast money for the elite competition, which funds the entire sport, disappears?

At best broadcasters would only take in games between the very top teams, and even then I suspect those teams will either insist on the lions share of funding, or breakaway entirely.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, dboy said:

Nonsense, unanswerable questions.

If, to use your target, Wakefield, were better, someone else would still be in their place.

The game is a hierarchy. All sport is.

Of course, "the game" should be better as a whole - but not a single top club is interested in facilitating that.

They are, by nature, protectionist.

Solving the games problems starts with reforming the governance of the game.

Good luck with that!

I don't believe it is nonsense but I obviously cannot convince you otherwise 

'If they were better they would be there' that's my whole point, they may have been had they got 20 years of SL funding

2 minutes ago, David Dockhouse Host said:

I guess it depends on how you measure value.

Playing staff, stadium, potential, community clubs, TV exposure, gates etc. Etc. 

Each club will expect the RFL and rugby community to apply the measure that meets their own needs, so Leigh want a different measure than Toulouse

Carter (and it's directly from his own mouth), says they do not bring money into the comp.

It costs UK clubs money having French teams in (and Toronto).

It's about cash.

1 minute ago, David Dockhouse Host said:

I don't believe it is nonsense but I obviously cannot convince you otherwise 

'If they were better they would be there' that's my whole point, they may have been had they got 20 years of SL funding

Your argument falls down at "if".

Who knows.

What would the game look like IF Wigan weren't allowed to pay Radlinski's wife £250k to wash the pots?

If's but's, and maybe's. 

Have you seen "Sliding Doors"? I think you'd like it.

19 minutes ago, dboy said:

And while I'm at it...

Degsy ands Carter (my club's CEO), go on about how the French teams bring nothing to the game.

I'm sure they mean they aren't bringing an income stream to SL in the way they should.

But they bring a media presence that club's like Salford don't.

FFS, Coronation Street, the UKs #1 soap, is set in a fictional Salford suburb, and we can't even get a mention on there!

Instead they choose to big-up a fictional non-league soccer club!! Weatherfield bloody County!

I should point at that when RL did have a feature of note on Corry - it was a fictional WAKEFIELD player".

Go on Duggie Ferguson!!!

11 minutes ago, dboy said:

It really isn't mentioned "quite a bit", but yes, there was ONCE a RLWC mention.

I don't know whether we blame the people running our game, or the blindness of the producers/writers of the programme for the ignorance of the games working class community roots, but the game's absence is shocking.

They can't even be bothered to take the ###### out of RL!

Said no-one ever, and especially not me.

Grow up.

You’ve literally said above that “the games absence is shocking” and “we can’t even get a mention on there” about Coronation Street. 

Just now, dboy said:

Carter (and it's directly from his own mouth), says they do not bring money into the comp.

It costs UK clubs money having French teams in (and Toronto).

It's about cash.

Which is kind of the problem really. 

An elite league should see any new team as an opportunity to grow (the NRL for all its flaws does see this even in a limited way). Unfortunately there are a number of clubs who cannot operate at that elite level and hang on desperately as best they can. There is also the point that the RFL and its members are de facto custodians of Northern Hemisphere RL, yet only want to be so when it suits them (unilaterally bring back GB and forget Ireland for example).

It is a result of a licensing period which was fundamentally flawed as well as an attitude problem more broadly that has several outlets.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Damien said:

Are you an avid fan watching it all the time then?

Its not something I particularly care about and I'm not going to waste time arguing about it but based on what I have seen to say we cant even get a mention on there is nonsense. You even disproved it yourself in this post. We have got mentions plenty of times and as I say a current person is a RL player, I'm not sure what else you expect from a soap.

Duggie left the Street in 2002.

RL hasn't been mentioned since, apart from a "product placement" mention for the RLWC.

The point was certain CEOs say the French clubs bring no value (they mean money), but I suggest they bring more media presence than some heartland clubs.

3 minutes ago, Jughead said:

You’ve literally said above that “the games absence is shocking” and “we can’t even get a mention on there” about Coronation Street. 

You said that I said...

"The way to solve the games problems is to get it mentioned on Coronation Street."

Where did I say that?

6 minutes ago, dboy said:

Your argument falls down at "if".

Who knows.

What would the game look like IF Wigan weren't allowed to pay Radlinski's wife £250k to wash the pots?

If's but's, and maybe's. 

Have you seen "Sliding Doors"? I think you'd like it.

Using 'if' is perfectly reasonable when making a point. 

The only difference between those clubs is the central funding, everything beneath that is due to that funding. 

Not sure your speculative point about Radlinski is a suitable comparison? 

3 minutes ago, dboy said:

You said that I said...

"The way to solve the games problems is to get it mentioned on Coronation Street."

Where did I say that?

In the previous post I quoted. 

In a discussion about framing the future and the games problems, you’re bringing  up Jim McDonald and Ken Barlow as a resolution. It’s comical. 

4 minutes ago, Mumby Magic said:

Christ how many times can this non-topical, not going to happen subject be discussed.

Tbf it keeps coming up in some form or another. I suspect that is because 20 teams will be enough to secure a majority in the newly aligned RFL and Super League.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Mumby Magic said:

Christ how many times can this non-topical, not going to happen subject be discussed.

If we don't discuss this, what will we discuss?

It's not like there is anything of not happening in the game in the next few days.

At least if there is, it hasn't been promoted by either the governing body (or a northern kitchen-sink soap).

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Storyline proposal:

Ken - "Hey Gary Windass, where are you going?"

Gary - "Just gonna bury another dead body, dodge a tram crash, push a wife-beater off a roof - then I'm off to Elland Road to watch the rugby".

Ken - "Prefer Sale me, Rah, rah Gary. Rah, rah."

Gary - " off ya posh !".

7 minutes ago, Jughead said:

In the previous post I quoted. 

In a discussion about framing the future and the games problems, you’re bringing  up Jim McDonald and Ken Barlow as a resolution. It’s comical. 

No. I didn't.

3 minutes ago, dboy said:

If we don't discuss this, what will we discuss?

It's not like there is anything of not happening in the game in the next few days.

At least if there is, it hasn't been promoted by either the governing body (or a northern kitchen-sink soap).

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Storyline proposal:

Ken - "Hey Gary Windass, where are you going?"

Gary - "Just gonna bury another dead body, dodge a tram crash, push a wife-beater off a roof - then I'm off to Elland Road to watch the rugby".

Ken - "Prefer Sale me, Rah, rah Gary. Rah, rah."

Gary - " off ya posh !".

To answer first question Toronto? 😄😄

• Haha 1

Like poor jokes? Thejoketeller@mullymessiah

11 minutes ago, Mumby Magic said:

Whenever three or more Rugby League fans meet, they have to discuss the game and what changes need to be made. 

Thems the rules! 😁

• Like 1

No. I didn't.

Course you didn’t. You just rambled on about a soap bizarrely on a thread about what the game does in the future, I get it. 

You should watch Emmerdale. Martin Offiah got an appearance in about 1994 and Sam Dingle decked Adam Fogerty. 

4 minutes ago, Jughead said:

Course you didn’t. You just rambled on about a soap bizarrely on a thread about what the game does in the future, I get it. 

You should watch Emmerdale. Martin Offiah got an appearance in about 1994 and Sam Dingle decked Adam Fogerty. 

You literally said I posted words I never said, on a theme I never intimated!

It takes quite a leap to take what I ACTUALLY posted and interpret it how you did.

• Confused 1