Midland Hurricanes

ornit4ever

Does anyone know why we are playing on a Saturday when there is the challenge cup double header on television as well.

It will surely affect our attendance figures given that Mayfield are also at home.

I do hope that the football club have not refused permission for the usual Sunday fixture. 🤔

Edited by ornit4ever

RUGBY LEAGUE WITHOUT ROCHDALE HORNETS IS LIKE AN UNSHARPENED PENCIL, THERES NO POINT?

4 hours ago, ornit4ever said:

Does anyone know why we are playing on a Saturday when there is the challenge cup double header on television as well.

It will surely affect our attendance figures given that Mayfield are also at home.

I do hope that the football club have refused permission for the usual Sunday fixture. 🤔

There’s no reason to, the football club aren’t playing at home on the Sunday.

3 hours ago, Observer_here said:

It’s their stadium and pitch. They can do what they like with it

I know it means nothing these days but it's easily forgotten how they would have gone down the pan 35 years ago.....but for Hornets.

I am delighted that we now have a good team but I am not delighted to see that once again we are  restricted to one small part of the ground. This means that for 40 minutes I will be   unable to see the Hornets tries  scored . When I bought a season ticket I anticipated seeing a whole match  

That was tense, especially 1st half,  just following it on Twitter!  Obviously, Midlands made us really knuckle down for a good winning 44-24 score in the end and hopefully they can continue that form with some of our close rivals. We seem to have a some good scores disallowed?  Anyway, it was just the tough match we needed going into the next games.  Defence will need to be top form.  Well done Hornets.

• Like 1

Sloppy first half, better second half. Hurricanes are a well organised and hard working side, if a little bit one dimensional. The thing about one dimensional rugby is you don’t make many mistakes. We were trying to play off the cuff rugby and we kept making the mistakes that let them back into the game. Going 12-0 up so soon led us to think it was going to be easy. It’s only easy when you do the hard work that makes it easy. I thought the ref didn’t give us much. He disallowed a try for some reason that would have made it 24-12, they go down the field and it’s 18-18.

I liked the look of Cobi Green and Wes Rogers lad Fenton looked very promising. McNally showed his real class with the try at the end.

When we had the big guns on the pitch we looking comfortable, when they weren’t we looked edgy. We’ll have to be on top of our game next week. A repeat of this won’t do there.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Sloppy first half, better second half. Hurricanes are a well organised and hard working side, if a little bit one dimensional. The thing about one dimensional rugby is you don’t make many mistakes. We were trying to play off the cuff rugby and we kept making the mistakes that let them back into the game. Going 12-0 up so soon led us to think it was going to be easy. It’s only easy when you do the hard work that makes it easy. I thought the ref didn’t give us much. He disallowed a try for some reason that would have made it 24-12, they go down the field and it’s 18-18.

I liked the look of Cobi Green and Wes Rogers lad looked very promising. McNally showed his real class with the try at the end.

When we had the big guns on the pitch we looking comfortable, when they weren’t we looked edgy. We’ll have to be on top of our game next repeat. A repeat of this won’t do there.

Steady team Hurricanes who never went away ! Hornets did overcomplicate things but are settling down week on week. I thought the half backs Green and Sheridan on the back of a strong forwards performance, were a handful today. Its a real big test against Keighley next week but this team are certainly capable of winning it .  MacNally got the MOM and is pure class ! 

29 minutes ago, Anita Bath said:

Which team has scored 150 or more points in the last three games……yes its the Melbourne Storm ……and our own Rochdale Hornets……two peas in a pod😊

We’ve definitely got tries in our locker, the defence was less than great yesterday. We were all over the place for their second half try. We were still setting the scrum when the ref allowed it to go ahead. A quick ball to the centre and there was a gap you could have driven a bus down.

Given that Midlands' recent strong performance at NW Crusaders, losing only 18-22, our victory yesterday was very commendable.  Of course the defence can often suffer when attacking rugby is foremost, as seen by our current stats. Certainly, the first half defence yesterday caused internet anxiety!   Next week's away match at Keighley is obviousy a very different game.  With Donny (h), Swinton (a), Hunslet (a), Midlands (a) & Oldham (a) to follow - certainly not for the nervous and may well determine our season.  Our strong start should help these tough fixtures.  The Calland/Thornton coaching team are melding a good mixture of youth and experience and certainly they will be fully tested.  

1 hour ago, glemiln said:

Given that Midlands' recent strong performance at NW Crusaders, losing only 18-22, our victory yesterday was very commendable.  Of course the defence can often suffer when attacking rugby is foremost, as seen by our current stats. Certainly, the first half defence yesterday caused internet anxiety!   Next week's away match at Keighley is obviousy a very different game.  With Donny (h), Swinton (a), Hunslet (a), Midlands (a) & Oldham (a) to follow - certainly not for the nervous and may well determine our season.  Our strong start should help these tough fixtures.  The Calland/Thornton coaching team are melding a good mixture of youth and experience and certainly they will be fully tested.  

Hurricanes are a decent team. It was anybodies game for 60 minutes. Take them lightly and you’re in for a surprise. They’re well organised, run hard, keep it simple until they’re in their opponents 25, don’t make many mistakes in possession etc. it was only when they were chasing the game and had to be a bit more expansive that we picked them off. I could see them beating established teams down at their place.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Excolt 1 said:

The one exceptional result for keighley was the 30-0 hammering of Swinton. Did Swinton not turn up or are Keighley that good ? No doubt we will find out on Sunday.

I agree,I have not seen Keighley and think they may be the pick of the opposition. Just made a massive signing in Dane Chisholm from Featherstone . I also think that Swinton are in the balance and could pick up or collapse dramatically.

2 hours ago, Excolt 1 said:

The one exceptional result for keighley was the 30-0 hammering of Swinton. Did Swinton not turn up or are Keighley that good ? No doubt we will find out on Sunday.

just for some perspective, Swinton's drubbing at cougars and hurricanes running us close was the week after us & swinton slugged it out at their place...think that game took it out of both of us for the following week.

cru....Cru.....CRUSADERS!!!!!!

12 hours ago, FearNothing said:

just for some perspective, Swinton's drubbing at cougars and hurricanes running us close was the week after us & swinton slugged it out at their place...think that game took it out of both of us for the following week.

Great result again yesterday for Cru. Was expecting ( Hoping 😄 ) Donny to run you closer.  Loving what's happening at Crusaders.

• Like 1

The Hurricanes are certainly the best of the expansion clubs and they showed it. This game was definitely a frustrating one, we showed some real good stuff in attack and seemed to much for them at times. But we let some soft tries in and kept letting them back into the game. 

Next week at Keighley will be a big test one that has the potential to have a lasting impact as both teams are looking like being contenders for promotion. A win especially one with a big score would be a real statement of intent. 

Edited by The Lad
  • Like 1

Concerning that the attendance on Saturday was less than half that for the same opponents in the challenge cup back in January. We are out of winter and the team are challenging at the top of the league playing good rugby.

Any thoughts on why  attendance has fallen so much? Is it because we played Saturday? Is the restricted capacity putting people off?

Mayfield at home, Wigan v Saints semi final live on National TV followed by Huddersfield v Hull KR. Local football teams playing for the people who play or watch both codes, people are used to arranging their work/life balance around the Sunday games. Playing on Saturday afternoon never works in my experience.

The restricted capacity certainly isn’t a plus, especially if the stand is full like it was against Oldham.