Match thread: 1895 Cup Semi-final. Barrow v Featherstone Rovers. Sunday 8th May 2022.

Nine and a half out of ten so far in the league, top of the table.

Time for a quick break.

The semi-final of the 1895 Cup, away to Barrow.

Never an easy place to get a win, and we shouldn't pay too much attention to our big win over a weakened side three weeks ago.

At stake is a place in the final at NWHL, a stadium I'm looking forward to visiting.

Squad news:

We had seven players out on loan last week. Ford and Hepi due to arrive this week, but it's hard to see Ford in particular going straight into the XVII. Hardcastle and Gill out injured.

So, the same squad of 20 as v Widnes? Jacks came off as a precautionary measure, and Gale hurt his hand. Hopefully they'll be ok.

Certainly agree that this is likely to have a very different feel to the league game three weeks ago. Bradford were on a 5-day turnaround that day whereas we had had a weekend off.

Of course, they played last night in what looked another bruising game, and their coach Paul Crarey suggested afterwards that both his starting back rowers would miss the game through injury. They had a couple of useful-looking loanees playing against York, I don't know if they'll be available against us. Barrow played a lot better than the final score suggested last night, York defended really well on their goal line against repeated attacks.

Hopefully we will still have a bit in hand though. Hepi took full part in training on Friday evening so might come into contention. Otherwise wouldn't expect too many changes unless maybe Cuthbo is fit again.

1 hour ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Of course, they played last night in what looked another bruising game, and their coach Paul Crarey suggested afterwards that both his starting back rowers would miss the game through injury. They had a couple of useful-looking loanees playing against York, I don't know if they'll be available against us.

Warched carey's post match says langtree  and stack definitely out

The LOANEE'S who played against york  well that's could be interesting 

Jack Wells short term loan from salford first went  barrow when that finished short term loan widnes when that finished  back to barrow that deal finishes this week so after widnes thumping where Jack plays on sunday is anyone's guess

Sam Eseh short term loan from wakey that deal finishes this week and after Jack Crofts deal with barrow finished wakey  sent him to thunder so where Sam plays on sunday is anyone's guess

If I remember rightly from last year Mikey Lewis was allowed to play in the final because he had played in an earlier round , so if the 2 mentioned players have played for barrow in any round they could possibly play . If not they should be ineligible to play . 

6 hours ago, marklaspalmas said:

Nine and a half out of ten so far in the league, top of the table.

Time for a quick break.

The semi-final of the 1895 Cup, away to Barrow.

Never an easy place to get a win, and we shouldn't pay too much attention to our big win over a weakened side three weeks ago.

At stake is a place in the final at NWHL, a stadium I'm looking forward to visiting.

Squad news:

We had seven players out on loan last week. Ford and Hepi due to arrive this week, but it's hard to see Ford in particular going straight into the XVII. Hardcastle and Gill out injured.

So, the same squad of 20 as v Widnes? Jacks came off as a precautionary measure, and Gale hurt his hand. Hopefully they'll be ok.

Gaz will be out for a while he’s broken his hand so could be pickersgill on the wing or hall on the wing with Hellewell  to centre.

38 minutes ago, Gareth hock said:

Gaz will be out for a while he’s broken his hand so could be pickersgill on the wing or hall on the wing with Hellewell  to centre.

Sorry to hear that. That's a blow for the lad. I hope he's back soon.

Hall to wing is a likely scenario. Pickersgill's form warrants a place in the XVII but Kheirallah is outstanding and I'm not sure I see Brandon as a winger.

Long shot......  recall for Doyle? He likes a Cup final, does Jake.

• Sad 1

32 minutes ago, Reddwarf said:

If I remember rightly from last year Mikey Lewis was allowed to play in the final because he had played in an earlier round , so if the 2 mentioned players have played for barrow in any round they could possibly play . If not they should be ineligible to play . 

Mikey lewis was allowed to come back to york on a 1 match loan and play in the final because he had played for them in the seml final

As the competition stands the semi's are the first  round so nobody;s  played in it yet  don't know how it works for loanee's but  hepi had to sign on at least a week before the semi to play

Any news on Jacks I know he went off last week but seemed to be precautionary. 
Is Ford here yet heard Vickers on the radio and he suggested middle of this week and would he have to play this week to be eligible for the final?

16 minutes ago, Cardypaul said:

Any news on Jacks I know he went off last week but seemed to be precautionary. 
Is Ford here yet heard Vickers on the radio and he suggested middle of this week and would he have to play this week to be eligible for the final?

NO he would't C he's been signed on long enough to qualify remember last year Doyle Sweeting Spence and Summers making his debut all played in the final

• Like 1

I think as Pickersgill came off the bench in the last 2 games to give Mark a rest, with the games won was a good move by Mac, to me move Hall to the wing and keep Picks on the bench. If Jacks is Ok , and it seems so that is a positive.

Barrow overdid the one man stuff near the York line,why keep trying when they were clearly not going to score that way.To pave the way to do something different against us Sunday.Expect a couple of tilts at the line but i think Barrow will kick more close to the line or maybe off load.We will win and the score does not matter in cup games 1 is enough.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, elppaxr2i said:

Jacks got a dead leg according to vickers in that interview, said it was nothing serious - being 42-0 up at half time obviously helped with personnel descisions 

Watching rovers TV looks like he got it early on  when he got tackled after a kick that made widnes drop out  After first try  physio came on and put some tape on his right thigh but looked OH he just ran off after 

One thing that I don't think any of us mentioned in the Widnes game thread but our end-of-set kicking game was much better than it had been at Bradford. In the first half we forced a couple of goal-line drop-outs plus had a couple more kicks which saw them start their sets well inside their 5m area, and we scored three tries on the last tackle from kicks. Jacks in particular seemed to be dropping the ball on a sixpence in that first half, hopefully more of the same on Sunday.

Just now, sentoffagain2 said:

Recently we have been tackled on the last more especially to turn the ball over inside our opponents 15m area.This gives us time too set our defence and less risk of a break following a poor kick.

There are those amongst us who have been advocating for this to be used much more for ages now.

Turning the ball over a metre or two from the line makes it bloody hard to get out.... 

• Like 4

We ran the ball repeatedly on the last tackle under Webster and scored a bucketload of tries from that tactic.

We've continued to do it this year to a degree, sometimes leading to our back rows or centres kicking the ball when it became apparent there wasn't an overlap. I agree that running it on the last is often a good percentage play.

We've also done lots of the chips to the corner when we are 20-40m out with the aim of pinning them down, these kicks have worked well at times and ended up with GLDOs or opposition sets starting near the corner flag which is a tough place to start a yardage set, on the other hand you have to be careful to weight the kick correctly and not to give away penalties through tackling in the air.

The old-fashioned up-and-under has fallen out of fashion, as to a degree has the grubber kick, the combination of a 20m restart and 7-tackle set being a massive disincentive for the latter.