Sat 7th-Sun 8th May: The Betfred League One Match Thread

2 hours ago, iamguyster said:

From what I could gather after speaking to players, is that Keighley also had a couple of dubious tries allowed.🤷

I think ultimately, WWR are trying to improve, Keighley came expecting to get 80+ on the scoreboard and found themselves frustrated that their opposition are actually giving it a go and not rolling over. 👍

We’d prefer the rolling over pls 

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, iamguyster said:

From what I could gather after speaking to players, is that Keighley also had a couple of dubious tries allowed.🤷

I think ultimately, WWR are trying to improve, Keighley came expecting to get 80+ on the scoreboard and found themselves frustrated that their opposition are actually giving it a go and not rolling over. 👍

From what I can gather,from reading your post,is that you weren't in attendance but have spoken to WWR players.

I didn't notice a scoreboard,while sitting in the main stand,discovered we led 0-2 after scoring a try and missing a conversion,and endured the 3 Stooges ' giving it a go '.

Why would any WWR players suggest Keighley were ' expecting to get 80+ '?

Perhaps they haven't listened to the head coach of Keighley Cougars recently.

Delighted WWR are not rolling over.I don't think anyone has ever,in the past 4/5 years,suggested that they have.

I hope Cornwall have competent officials for next weeks fixture.

• Like 1

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

1 hour ago, ShropshireBull said:

######. Just seen cornwall game isnt on because we need to show a blowout between Eagles and Leigh. 

Making a fist of it.

Hunslet winning 22-12 at half time

1 minute ago, Northern Eel said:

Hopefully the Eagles will take it easy and let Leigh back into the game to make it competitive. 

It's very important in Rugby League that the club who has been around longest wins.

• Haha 2

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

1 hour ago, Angelic Cynic said:

From what I can gather,from reading your post,is that you weren't in attendance but have spoken to WWR players.

I didn't notice a scoreboard,while sitting in the main stand,discovered we led 0-2 after scoring a try and missing a conversion,and endured the 3 Stooges ' giving it a go '.

Why would any WWR players suggest Keighley were ' expecting to get 80+ '?

Perhaps they haven't listened to the head coach of Keighley Cougars recently.

Delighted WWR are not rolling over.I don't think anyone has ever,in the past 4/5 years,suggested that they have.

I hope Cornwall have competent officials for next weeks fixture.

C'mon fella. No need to be salty. Your lads won and WWR looked more competitive. Isn't that what everyone wants from them? It seems like you do.

By the way, I got the impression of the 80+ from every post in this thread; someone even predicted 100. No WWR player suggested that. 

I think there's something to be said for magnanimity in victory, rather than lashing out at the ref and the score board. 🤷‍♂️

31 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

delighted to be wrong but on other thread.  

A clear division in League 1 between southern and northern teams.  Southern Conference where emerging teams have a better chance probably a long term solution. 

So Midlands within a try of Cru and Hunslet in the last couple of weeks and level with Rochdale till two thirds of the game...Beating fellow expansion teams at the same level as other  ' established ' clubs.... 

But we don't have a chance??? 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, FearNothing said:

Superb day's work from Cru, 46-0 away to Donny....cracking performance 🙂

Yes, thought we'd win but not by that! Eight tries away from home and nilling the opposition is a good day's work in anyone's book. Oldham at Zipworld next Saturday then two weeks off with the bye and Cup Final before the big one against Keighley.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

delighted to be wrong but on other thread.  

A clear division in League 1 between southern and northern teams.  Southern Conference where emerging teams have a better chance probably a long term solution. 

A southern conference Is an end in itself. It won’t help clubs become competitive which is what we need, in the absence of someone investing a ton of money in RL down south (wasn’t that a name of a podcast a few years back when we thought it was all going to be a lot brighter?)  

11 minutes ago, Rach said:

So Midlands within a try of Cru and Hunslet in the last couple of weeks and level with Rochdale till two thirds of the game...Beating fellow expansion teams at the same level as other  ' established ' clubs.... 

Midlands have been our - crusaders -  hardest game so far this season. They’re a tough organised side.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Rach said:

How do you know he wasn't including Midlands in the proposed Northern Conference?

1 hour ago, ShropshireBull said:

Now if someone is coming into these regions with intention to go through the leagues fine but if aim is to start getting more players from these southern regions in the game I dont see how getting pumped and finishing 8th at best does that. 

It's the eternal conundrum - go with more 'local' players and risk getting pumped (which seems to be what WWR and Skolars are having to do), or go with a team made up predominantly of northerners in order to be competitive at the expense of developing local talent (which seems to be what Midlands are doing). Cornwall started the season trumpeting that they were going to do the former and play loads of Cornish players, but as the weeks have gone on, they have pulled in more and more loan players in order to become more competitive, so may now be opting for the latter strategy. Neil Kelly's comments last week about the local players would seem to suggest that he thinks a lot of them aren't really up to it. I don't believe either strategy is likely to be effective at developing the game in those areas. IMO what is needed is a vibrant grass roots game in those areas with multiple community clubs underpinning the pro team and guaranteeing a stream of players. A pro club should be the icing on the cake but, in the cases of these League 1 clubs, the lack of a healthy community competition means there isn't really a cake to ice.

• Like 1

Back in the day Hemel Stags played in the NCL, and competed really well v Fev Lions, Underbank, Kippax n Bramley, which I dare say could beat most of the lower league 1 teams, but they had aussie players no visa restrictions this is what the southern teams need a helping hand, but emigration rules will not allow it.

Just got back in from Doncaster on what was a superb display from North Wales Crusaders. When there were any errors they got back as a team and defended like Trojans. Some great attacking play too.

I too was expecting a close result and was delighted to come away with 46 point, no injuries and be top of the league with 7 wins from 7 games.

Looking forward to our friends from Oldham coming to visit Eirias Park next weekend.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, iamguyster said:

C'mon fella. No need to be salty. Your lads won and WWR looked more competitive. Isn't that what everyone wants from them? It seems like you do.

By the way, I got the impression of the 80+ from every post in this thread; someone even predicted 100. No WWR player suggested that. 

I think there's something to be said for magnanimity in victory, rather than lashing out at the ref and the score board. 🤷‍♂️

League Express - ' The match was refereed by Welshman James Jones,part of a history making bunch of officials.For the first time ever in a RFL league match all 5 were from Wales,the referee,two touch judges,reserve official and interchange official."

Surprisingly,despite Keighley Cougars improving massively discipline wise,this year,and in recent games in particular, the penalty count was hugely against them.

I can just imagine if St Helens were in a game refereed by Hicks,his 2 brothers touch judges,father -in- law reserve referee and uncle interchange official.

I'll steer clear of skin pigmentation. 

Why couldn't the history making be last week at the Welsh derby?

Get me out of League 1.The Jekyll and Hyde league where anything goes, and no one cares.A League of doomed experiments.

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

18 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

Can you explain what is going on.  Pumping doncaster and 7 straight wins.  Awesome stuff. 

It seems our end of season form continues from last year..... and the new players being introduced are buying into coach Anthony Murrays game plan.

We've not looked at our best in all games but have still managed to hold out and win....but when everything clicks, its a thing of beauty.

• Like 1