Sun 8th May: 1895 SF: Leigh Centurions v Sheffield Eagles KO 16:00

Who will win?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Leigh Centurions
    • Sheffield Eagles

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/05/22 at 15:30

First of all, we'll done Sheffield. I thought they were outstanding. Scoreline no justice and beaten simply from Conditioning and FT rugby. They were superb and even though my side lost me a considerable amount of money on a 4 way acca, I don't care. First half Leigh were arrogant and disrespectful and got what they deserved. Up the guts rugby won the game which would any championship game in Leighs scenario and it won't be good enough to beat Fev. 

But, its a Major final and the nerves have gone. I'm hoping for a great game between two great teams because it would not surprise me if this surpasses the CC final itself. Il be in Turkey and gutted I can't be there but good luck to both sides 👍

• Like 5

36 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

Entertaining game, Sheffield had a chance, but Leigh found some quality when they needed it.

First Ourleague game I've watched in a while, have they upped their coverage quality, I thought it was pretty decent. 

I mentioned on the Barrow/Fev game thread that the production work on that one was very poor ie far too many long-range shots when they should have zoomed in, at times you couldn't really tell what had happened. The Leigh/Sheffield game was far better in that respect. The commentary and analysis was fine for both games.

• Like 1

I enjoyed the game and the coverage, even despite some biased commentary

I expected more from Leigh, to be honest. Yes, Sheffield gave it a great dig, but if Leigh have any designs on getting out of the Champ they've got to be putting away Sheffield more definitively than that.

I don't know if its the Adrian Lam effect, but just as Wigan looked blunt in attack last season, Leigh looked a bit toothless in attack. They've got some great players, for sure - but nothing seemed cohesive or organised. In the end, they got over the top of Sheffield simply by being fitter and bigger.

At the moment (and I do realise there's a long way to go) you'd have to have Featherstone ahead in the promotion stakes.

I think Sheffield are better than people give them credit for. When they played at Fev in the league, Fev eventually won by 44-18, but early in the second half they got close.

I think with all their home games to come, they will get into the playoff's and on todays display are not easily ruled out.

I guess Leigh may have had an off day, but maybe part of that was down to how well Sheffield played.

• Like 4

Well done Sheffield , you came with a plan and executed it perfectly , could easily have got you the win , not for the first time against us in important games , watching ' live ' the ref had us completely baffled by some of his decisions , hence the booing at HT , lost count of the number of resets we were given , some where it was a clear penalty 

But we won in the end , so it's off down to the ' big smoke ' to take on Fev , I'd have them as favourites 

15 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Well done Sheffield , you came with a plan and executed it perfectly , could easily have got you the win , not for the first time against us in important games , watching ' live ' the ref had us completely baffled by some of his decisions , hence the booing at HT , lost count of the number of resets we were given , some where it was a clear penalty 

But we won in the end , so it's off down to the ' big smoke ' to take on Fev , I'd have them as favourites 

If we play like that Steve, we will get mullered, But, the game plan v Fev I'm sure will be completely different and hopefully includes knocking Busseys block off in the first 5 mins ( legally) 😂 😳

12 hours ago, paulwalker71 said:

I enjoyed the game and the coverage, even despite some biased commentary

I expected more from Leigh, to be honest. Yes, Sheffield gave it a great dig, but if Leigh have any designs on getting out of the Champ they've got to be putting away Sheffield more definitively than that.

I don't know if its the Adrian Lam effect, but just as Wigan looked blunt in attack last season, Leigh looked a bit toothless in attack. They've got some great players, for sure - but nothing seemed cohesive or organised. In the end, they got over the top of Sheffield simply by being fitter and bigger.

At the moment (and I do realise there's a long way to go) you'd have to have Featherstone ahead in the promotion stakes.

Pretty much sums it up Paul, as I have been pointing out all season Leigh desperately need two halfbacks to guide them around, our kicking game is absolutely bobbins but people will get carried away with one from Mellor that worked to Macdonald, speaking of Mellor he was the play maker at Widnes for many years is it any wonder they were very indifferent on the offence and he 8s doing the same with Leigh, and Reynolds is simply not good enough, Leigh are/have employed lads all over the park who can do a job on attack why stick with insufficient playmakers?

Back to the game Nothing but admiration for Sheffield, Aston worked out if they get into the face of Leigh - something that has rarely happened by the other teams - it will shock them which worked, if Sheffield could have kept up the same in the second half they win, unfortunately for them and fortunately for Leigh they couldn't.

This game will do Leigh far far more good than blowing Sheffield away and the player's reading how good they are, it should have brought some realisation to them and Lam that a lot of work needs to be done. Hopefully Batley harden them up a bit more next Monday.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Pretty much sums it up Paul, as I have been pointing out all season Leigh desperately need two halfbacks to guide them around, our kicking game is absolutely bobbins but people will get carried away with one from Mellor that worked to Macdonald, speaking of Mellor he was the play maker at Widnes for many years is it any wonder they were very indifferent on the offence and he 8s doing the same with Leigh, and Reynolds is simply not good enough, Leigh are/have employed lads all over the park who can do a job on attack why stick with insufficient playmakers?

Back to the game Nothing but admiration for Sheffield, Aston worked out if they get into the face of Leigh - something that has rarely happened by the other teams - it will shock them which worked, if Sheffield could have kept up the same in the second half they win, unfortunately for them and fortunately for Leigh they couldn't.

This game will do Leigh far far more good than blowing Sheffield away and the player's reading how good they are, it should have brought some realisation to them and Lam that a lot of work needs to be done. Hopefully Batley harden them up a bit more next Monday.

Ahh, good old Batley at the Mount, my favourite little ground but hated playing up that Hill! 

It's got a loss written all over it, but as you state Harry, with Sheffield putting in the Shift and the arrogance being kicked out of the system, the result may well now be different. 

It has to be to stand any chance of maintaining the pressure on Fev in both League and Cup. 

2 minutes ago, Snowys Backside said:

Ahh, good old Batley at the Mount, my favourite little ground but hated playing up that Hill! 

It's got a loss written all over it, but as you state Harry, with Sheffield putting in the Shift and the arrogance being kicked out of the system, the result may well now be different. 

It has to be to stand any chance of maintaining the pressure on Fev in both League and Cup. 

Yes Snowy we have 4 games of consequence left in the season being the Cup Final, home to Fev 13th June, the Bash and if they don't stumble and fall over as they looked well capable of doing yesterday and with due respect to other Championship teams the most important of them all the GF, attitudes of individuals can change but the skill levels will stay the same and the two positions and player's I mentioned in my previous post need replacing if Leigh are going to acheive what they are aiming for, your opinion please.

28 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Yes Snowy we have 4 games of consequence left in the season being the Cup Final, home to Fev 13th June, the Bash and if they don't stumble and fall over as they looked well capable of doing yesterday and with due respect to other Championship teams the most important of them all the GF, attitudes of individuals can change but the skill levels will stay the same and the two positions and player's I mentioned in my previous post need replacing if Leigh are going to acheive what they are aiming for, your opinion please.

I agree we need an elusive 6. Not sure if Hingano was injured yesterday but there are better options than Reynolds. I'd even try Ipape or Aekins there if need be. 

Laboured. Brierley would have had a field day behind this pack. 

Mellor is fine. He organises well and runs when need be. 

18 minutes ago, Snowys Backside said:

I agree we need an elusive 6. Not sure if Hingano was injured yesterday but there are better options than Reynolds. I'd even try Ipape or Aekins there if need be. 

Is Aekins familiar with the No 6 role it could be worth a try, Brand did well at full back when put there last season when Ryan was injured and he is seemingly a better player this season than when he took the Fullback spot last year.

Playing behind this pack yes Ryan would excel.

But sorry I can not agree with you regards Joe Mellor, he looks like he doesn't know what he is doing with the ball in hand half the time he very often runs round in circles how on earth are his teammates expected to know what he is doing, and his kicking game has a lot to be desired it, like I eluded to he was the main playmaker at Widnes for a number of years and with the best will in the world you can't say they were a well organised team offensively. Mr Lam should be be telling his son to get his harse over here, pronto.

40 minutes ago, Snowys Backside said:

As a Featherstone fan, it seems to me that Reynolds is a liability.  He's creating very little and is a bit hot-headed.  I'm sure Leigh would be a better team with Ipape at 6, so I'm hoping Reynolds keeps getting the nod!!

• Like 1

Having three subs out with head injuries in the last 30 minutes took its toll.  It didn't leave us with a lot of rotation options.  But, in truth, we weren't so good with the ball in the second half.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

2 minutes ago, Griff said:

Having three subs out with head injuries in the last 30 minutes took its toll.  It didn't leave us with a lot of rotation options.  But, in truth, we weren't so good with the ball in the second half.

Never seen players take so long to leave the field so your guys got a bit of a breather.  Astons tactics never change

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Here we go again .....

Just now, DemonUK said:

Never seen players take so long to leave the field so your guys got a bit of a breather.  Astons tactics never change

Blame Leigh's doctor.  He was in charge.

2 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Is Aekins familiar with the No 6 role it could be worth a try, Brand did well at full back when put there last season when Ryan was injured and he is seemingly a better player this season than when he took the Fullback spot last year.

But sorry I can not agree with you regards Joe Mellor, he looks like he doesn't know what he is doing with the ball in hand half the time he very often runs round in circles how on earth are his teammates expected to know what he is doing, and his kicking game has a lot to be desired it, like I eluded to he was the main playmaker at Widnes for a number of years and with the best will in the world you can't say they were a well organised team offensively. Mr Lam should be be telling his son to get his harse over here, pronto.

If that’s the plan regarding Lams son then happy days but Reynolds leaves a lot to be desired. 

Move one out first and see what happens, not both. 

Brand to FB and Aekins at 6 I like because Aekins is very quick and can create. That gives the big bent nose fella the freedom to run amok and score a pon full because our right edge defensively is weak and lacks quality. 

42 minutes ago, DemonUK said:

Thought it was only a ground of your own you didn't have 😉

Home team provides the doctor.  Leigh were at home, I believe.

9 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Would you have Brierley back again ?. Looked like his old self against Wigan recently. Tim Street was a guest at this match(thread) btw. Saw on Twitter.

40 minutes ago, Cw25 said:

Would you have Brierley back again ?. Looked like his old self against Wigan recently. Tim Street was a guest at this match(thread) btw. Saw on Twitter.

Timmy looked fit and good on Him. He was a good trainer to be fair and had a great engine. Always had time for the younger lads when I was at the club (and loved swinging a fewarms come game time) 😂

Would thrive v Fev as he'd stop Bussys sh**housery with one clip round the lug holes. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Snowys Backside said:

Timmy looked fit and good on Him. He was a good trainer to be fair and had a great engine. Always had time for the younger lads when I was at the club (and loved swinging a fewarms come game time) 😂

Would thrive v Fev as he'd stop Bussys sh**housery with one clip round the lug holes. 

LOL. I know your guys found Bussey unstoppable at POR in February but he's been pretty muchh a model citizen since he rejoined Fev.

4 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

LOL. I know your guys found Bussey unstoppable at POR in February but he's been pretty muchh a model citizen since he rejoined Fev.

I talk about Bussey because I know he's a good un, but once a Sh**house, always a Sh**house. 

He's had a great season so far but I hope he doesn't have that brain fart in the GF, because he will have at least 1 this season. Fev don't deserve that, but he has that in his locker I'm afraid 😨