Sat 7th May: CCSF: Wigan Warriors v St Helens KO 14:30 (BBC One)

Who will win?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Wigan Warriors
    • St Helens

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/05/22 at 14:00

22 minutes ago, Tonka said:

I just have a funny feeling Wigan will nick this.

Yes I'm a Wigan fan.

And by funny feeling I mean I want them to win.

So I can go to Wembley.

You will be on your own - it's at TOTTENHAM.

• Like 1
  • Haha 12

We’re a work in progress and unfortunately Saints level isn’t something we’ve reached yet. If Lomax misses out I’ll go Saints by 6 and if he plays I’ll go Saints by 16. We just need to take another step forward against them and hopefully stay in an arm wrestle for longer than Good Friday. The absences of Leuluai and Powell will hurt us defensively however. 

Wigan at Elland Road

In anticipation of this Saturday’s Challenge Cup semi-final between Wigan and St Helens at Elland Road in Leeds I have had a look at the history books to check if Wigan have played at the stadium most famous for it’s football team Leeds United but which also has a strong rugby league history too.

Holbeck Rugby League club actually club built Elland Road in 1897 and played there from seven years before folding in 1904.

After the inaugural Northern Union season(1895/96 the next couple of seasons after it the Lancashire and Yorkshire divisions were separate.

When the divisions joined together Wigan were top flight and Holbeck never got promoted meaning Wigan never played them not even in the Challenge Cup.

Hunslet also ended up playing at Elland Road from 1983 until 1994 a period in which Wigan were at the absolute pinnacle of Rugby League.

Hunslet however were a yo-yo team in the 1980s and spent the occasional season in the top flight meaning Wigan got to play a few away games at Elland Road.

In the 1984-85 season Wigan beat Hunslet 48-16 at Elland Road.

Hunslet were back in the top flight in the 87/88 season and Wigan beat Hunslet 38-10.

Other Rugby League games at Elland Road include internationals, World Club Challenges and well as  the famous 1982 Challenge Cup replay between Hull and Widnes but Wigan fans also have fond memories of the ground with the club having won three of their eight John Player Special/Regal trophies there.

I would be more happy for people to correct me if there are Wigan Rugby League games at Elland Road I have missed.

May 3rd, 2022

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Nate90 said:

Wigan at Elland Road

In anticipation of this Saturday’s Challenge Cup semi-final between Wigan and St Helens at Elland Road in Leeds I have had a look at the history books to check if Wigan have played at the stadium most famous for it’s football team Leeds United but which also has a strong rugby league history too.

Holbeck Rugby League club actually club built Elland Road in 1897 and played there from seven years before folding in 1904.

After the inaugural Northern Union season(1895/96 the next couple of seasons after it the Lancashire and Yorkshire divisions were separate.

When the divisions joined together Wigan were top flight and Holbeck never got promoted meaning Wigan never played them not even in the Challenge Cup.

Hunslet also ended up playing at Elland Road from 1983 until 1994 a period in which Wigan were at the absolute pinnacle of Rugby League.

Hunslet however were a yo-yo team in the 1980s and spent the occasional season in the top flight meaning Wigan got to play a few away games at Elland Road.

Hunslet were back in the top flight in the 87/88 season and Wigan beat Hunslet 38-10.

Other Rugby League games at Elland Road include internationals, World Club Challenges and well as  the famous 1982 Challenge Cup replay between Hull and Widnes but Wigan fans also have fond memories of the ground with the club having won three of their eight John Player Special/Regal trophies there.

I would be more happy for people to correct me if there are Wigan Rugby League games at Elland Road I have missed.

May 3rd, 2022

The only major rugby league match at Elland Road I can think of that you haven't mentioned is the 1938 Championship final.

Hunslet and Leeds both made it to the final which was due to be held at Belle Vue but it became clear the capacity wouldn't be big enough for a Leeds derby final so it was moved to Elland Road. 

54,312 (a record crowd at ER and for RL in UK at the time) watched Hunslet beat Leeds 8-2.

Edited by Barley Mow
  • Like 3

Wigan at Elland Road

May 3rd, 2022

So whats your predictions then?

Wigan at Elland Road

May 3rd, 2022

I think I was at Elland Road for a CC semi between Wigan and HKR, in which West broke free to send someone (David Stephenson possibly??) over for the key score. On the way he beat the former Wigan star George Fairburn. I may be mistaken. And thanks for the history lesson - it’s fascinating to learn it was a League stadium originally. 

Edited by Exiled Wiganer
  • Like 2

Hoping for 2 cracking semi finals, I always back my own team but I don’t think the term shock should be used if Wigan do win this one. I’ve never bought into the hype of some with my team, particularly in the media, we were never going to go unbeaten for instance. I also don’t buy into this so called huge gap between Saints and the rest, although certain times it might appear that way. Wigan are far better than some made out early in the season and even now. 
I think Saints are coached brilliantly and will just have enough but Wigan are capable, with Field and French in particular, of some real exciting Rugby,  the sort that wins tight semi finals.

Whatever the result, it’s worth saying what a great job Peets and his coaching staff are doing. It’s a brilliant story, coming up through the coaching ranks at such a big and famous club. He really seems to have instilled belief in his players and got them playing exciting stuff.

At a push I am going Saints by 1 score in a nail biter. 

3 hours ago, Nate90 said:

Wigan at Elland Road

May 3rd, 2022

Wasn't there a semi final against York in 1986 or am I mistaken?

Edited by meast
  • Like 2

Looking forward to this game.  Might have rekindled my interest in going to the final had the semi draw fallen different.  Think Jai Field has made Wigan many neutrals 2nd team. 

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

1 hour ago, Wollo Wollo Wayoo said:

Looking forward to this game.  Might have rekindled my interest in going to the final had the semi draw fallen different.  Think Jai Field has made Wigan many neutrals 2nd team. 

Though I agree many neutrals will enjoy watching Field play even as a Wigan fan I think we would only be most neutral fans second team if there were only two teams in existence. On the subject of the SF I hope we can win and book our place at Tottenham but I think Saints' defence is just too well marshalled and will see them through. Saints by 10.

12 hours ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

I think I was at Elland Road for a CC semi between Wigan and HKR, in which West broke free to send someone (David Stephenson possibly??) over for the key score. On the way he beat the former Wigan star George Fairburn. I may be mistaken. And thanks for the history lesson - it’s fascinating to learn it was a League stadium originally. 

That try by Stephenson was arguably the one that set up the decade of unprecedented success that followed.

Marvellous memory.

Can only see a Saints victory this Saturday and I won't be watching as I am at Haydock races.