Sat 7th May: CCSF: Wigan Warriors v St Helens KO 14:30 (BBC One)

Who will win?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Wigan Warriors
    • St Helens

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/05/22 at 14:00

To have any chance,our middle forwards will have to dramatically raise their game and put in a sustained level of performance I haven’t seen from a Wigan pack in a few years and of which I don’t think this present squad has in them.

• Like 1

Both sides missing key pivots. Dodd and probably Lomax for us and Leuluai and Powell for Wigan.

As a result, I'm expecting a low scoring match. If Saints are to win, it will all be about defence.

We've won 11 of the last 13 against Wigan, so every reason to be confident. But, reckon this will be very close and could go either way.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chris22 said:

Both sides missing key pivots. Dodd and probably Lomax for us and Leuluai and Powell for Wigan.

As a result, I'm expecting a low scoring match. If Saints are to win, it will all be about defence.

We've won 11 of the last 13 against Wigan, so every reason to be confident. But, reckon this will be very close and could go either way.

Indeed, this “rivalry” has been a one way street for a long time. It will almost certainly be 14 from 16 by the end of the season. There is nothing fundamentally to suggest any change in the balance of power in the next year or so, but I believe Peet realises the gulf between the 2 sides. 

It is also annoying that we have to play you at Magic - we often play Wire which would have been a far more competitive and enjoyable match. 

Really looking forward to this one, should provide a good curtain raiser to the main event of the Yorkshire clubs' participation in the triple header.

Saints will obviously start as favourites but Wigan's mindset could help even it up a little. Hell, if the Pies score first then who knows?

Saints 22 Pies 16.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

It feels like we're in better form now then going in to Good Friday. It helps that the backline will have Marshall back in, two natural centres and Bevan French is looking sharper by the week, so hopefully we'll be better with the ball. We need to manage Paasi from the bench far better then we did on Good Friday. He crucified us and his first spell was the real match winner. Again on that front it'll help having Kaide Ellis back. We managed to go toe to toe with the Saints pack for half an hour but the bench impact from Saints hurt us. We should have three props in Byrne, Havard and Mago to come on and a lot will rest on how they go. I feel like theres a lack of aggressive intent in defence from Mago and Havard at times but Byrne is throwing himself about and he could be key for us. 

It's still tough to look past Saints but I'm confident we can at least make the game interesting. 

• Like 1

Strong squad named by Saints. Dodd and Hopoate missing, late fitness tests for Lomax and Grace, but otherwise full strength.

Big game to bring Grace into with so little game time this year. Hopefully with Lomax we've learned our lesson from risking Percival against Warrington the other year only to see him go off injured.

Can't wait!

• Like 1

The big one here is if Lomax passes his fitness test.  Without both of Dodd and Lomax I think Saints come back to pack a little.  Still probably favourites but it would make it a lot more interesting. 

• Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Would it really be a shock if Wigan win?

Saints playing a dangerous game resting players leading up to it and I would not be too surprised if Wigan turn them over. 

Pitt it isn’t the final but good luck to both teams. Wigan by 7

On 03/05/2022 at 18:06, Tonka said:

I just have a funny feeling Wigan will nick this.

Yes I'm a Wigan fan.

And by funny feeling I mean I want them to win.

So I can go to Wembley.

You'll be on your own at Wembley🤪

• Haha 1

Saints will win, but I'm hoping Wigan improve upon the Good Friday performance and make it more competitive. I've read a lot about Saints having players missing but it won't make much of a difference. Their pack is still by far the strongest in the competition and it's the pack that will win them the game. Wigan won't be able to do too much penned in our own half, which is often what happens when the Saints pack is anywhere near it's best. In fact in years gone by Saints have had pretty ordinary halves, or sometimes no recognised halves at all, and still been strong because of their pack. Ultimately we can't match them down the middle where it matters unless they are well off their game, and I can't see that being the case in a knockout game.

Having said that, if there are a few absences for Saints, or players carrying knocks, it may be worth an extra try or two for Wigan or a try or two less for Saints, but if it's close Saints will still have the edge.

Like most Wigan fans, I just want to see continued improvement over the course of the season and beyond and some signs that we might be able to close the gap to Saints in the next 2 to 3 years.

4 hours ago, Snowys Backside said:

Pity it isn’t the final but good luck to both teams. Wigan by 7

In a way it really is I suppose?

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

It's arguably the local derby in Rugby League, maybe more venom in the Hull clash but this is the stoush with silverware. so even if St Helens are the better and more consistent side on paper you can tear that up immediately. Wigan defiantely have a punchers chance here and a lot will depend on either Wigan getting ahead early or the game remainig within one score going into the final 20 mins.

Compelling viewing this afternoon.

• Like 1

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

That was a good feature on Jack Welsby.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

My Dad has just text me to say that the BBC coverage for the womens game and now the start of this game, with a feature on Jack Welsby, is far better than anything Sky could do. I look forward to watching it later. 

Right, settled down in Sports bar Rethymno Crete with a cold beer, all set for a big game in THE derby game.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Interesting Wigan line up with a military connection, does anyone know where they signed Field Marshall Bibby from?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
                                                                     Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

4 minutes ago, Jughead said:

My Dad has just text me to say that the BBC coverage for the womens game and now the start of this game, with a feature on Jack Welsby, is far better than anything Sky could do. I look forward to watching it later. 

Was a nice piece on Welsby

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

A Star Wars stormtrooper with a Warriors badge. Proof, on-screen, that Wigan are the Evil Empire! :kolobok_biggrin:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Despite what Jamie JB says, I think it is a massive risk playing Lomax with a torn bicep when he is alongside a very experienced half back partner.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris