Sat 7th May: CCSF: Wigan Warriors v St Helens KO 14:30 (BBC One)

Who will win?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Wigan Warriors
    • St Helens

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/05/22 at 14:00

Result - Wigan 20:18 St Helens

And still another terrestrial-televised match to go this afternoon.

We are spoilt rotten sometimes.

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Just now, Roy Haggerty said:

Hurrell’s occasional offensive success just doesn’t compensate for his error rate and poor defence tbh. It’s why even a poor Leeds side let him go I guess.  

Yep, saints can usually compensate for them but not today.

That was a cracking game of rugby. Just couldn't take your eye off it for fear of missing something!

• Like 3

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Wigan win ! Big lead then hit back with the interception . Gallant show from Saints considering injuries and limitations in the halves , just came up short after playing catch up . Big effort from Welsby in a losing side , he’s got something a bit special about him and should be in the WC squad 

• Like 3

Harry Smith MotM.

I think I might have given it to Marshall, and not just for the two tries. He worked his socks off.

• Like 4

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 minutes ago, Waynebennettswinger said:

Great semi final. That is what Rugby League is all about. Well done Wigan 

What he said 

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Superb game. I really did not see that coming. It looked a very repeatable performance as well. Well well ahead of schedule, and huge credit to Matty Peet - what an inspired and brave decision to appoint him. Speed was the difference. 

• Like 4

Just now, Exiled Wiganer said:

Superb game. I really did not see that coming. It looked a very repeatable performance as well. Well well ahead of schedule, and huge credit to Matty Peet - what an inspired and brave decision to appoint him. Speed was the difference. 

Goal kicking played its part aswell, wigan need to sort that

• Like 1

Okay, see you on the next thread!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Great game, congrats to Wigan. Small margins win games Wigan threw a couple of sloppy passes first half which they still managed to score from. Saints throw one late on and again Wigan turn it into points. Disappointed as a Saints fan but great game to watch and love the way Mat Peet speaks👏👏

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

Despite people moaning about the crowd, the atmosphere sounded electric

Yep, the fans certainly made themselves heard. Came across well. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Harry Smith MotM.

I think I might have given it to Marshall, and not just for the two tries. He worked his socks off.

I think Smith deserved it for an excellent kicking game, it is such an important part of the modern game.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

You can’t have a start like that and expect to win any game and Saints have themselves too much to do and probably selected the wrong team, with Davies playing in the halves. 

Saints were too disjointed in the first half and their starting forwards were abysmal. The addition of LMS, Paasi and Sironen turned the game in their favour. 

5 minutes ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

Got to say as a Saints fan that I have been guilty of calling Wigan as a one man/two man team, French and Field obviously, but a great performance in a great game across the park. 

Wigan don’t seem to lose anything from O’Neill coming in for Powell.

The Matty Peet story is a great one, to lead out your side in a Challenge Cup Final as a homegrown coach is just amazing. Seems a nice humble guy too.

• Like 11

17 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I think Smith deserved it for an excellent kicking game, it is such an important part of the modern game.

Harry's in-play kicking was very good. His place-kicking was worrying, though. Hardaker seemed more successful off the tee, albeit still not great by the standards of other teams, but that ship's sailed now.

Edited by Futtocks
  • Like 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Awesome from Saints to come back and really look in control. Wigan were on the ropes and the mistake that allowed Marshall to pick up and race clear looked to be the only way Wigan were going to get something.

Strange game, but really enjoyable as a neutral. Saints will feel very down after coming back to look odds on as the second half went on.

I think Welsby really stood up today and showed why he's ready to step up to the international scene.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, StandOffHalf said:

Awesome from Saints to come back and really look in control. Wigan were on the ropes and the mistake that allowed Marshall to pick up and race clear looked to be the only way Wigan were going to get something.

Strange game, but really enjoyable as a neutral. Saints will feel very down after coming back to look odds on as the second half went on.

I think Welsby really stood up today and showed why he's ready to step up to the international scene.

I agree, there was no need for St Helens to force the passes once in front. I think they went for the kill but without regard for Wigan's speed on the counter.

I would have kept a full back also once in front, even in possession, just for this eventuality.

• Like 2

Didn’t think they much of Smith, myself. I can’t remember too many dangerous kicks from him bar the early Simm drop. I thought Cust run the show with his running game and anything good from Wigan come through him. 

• Haha 1