Sat 7th May: Women's CCF: Leeds Rhinos v St Helens KO 12:00 (BBC Two)

Who will win?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Leeds Rhinos
    • St Helens

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/05/22 at 11:30

That was a nice interview with Zoe Hornby, player of the match.

She said she was really pleased with being player of the match and getting her try which is nice honesty.

• Like 2

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

3 minutes ago, Fevrover said:

What is the score thank you.

Final score - Leeds 8:18 St Helens

• Thanks 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

See you on the Wigan/Saints thread!

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 minute ago, Dunbar said:

That was a nice interview with Zoe Hornby, player of the match.

She said she was really pleased with being player of the match and getting her try which is nice honesty.

She did deserve the award. Cracking performance in both attack and defence. 

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

4 minutes ago, dkw said:

That's probably right, so are none of them even semi pro?

Think there's payment for those that make the world cup squad but don't think any of the club players are paid. I don't know this for certain though

• Like 1

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

Leeds will be back, they still have a couple of strike players to come into that side.

For Saints, Jodie C stepped up when it mattered.

Vicky Whitfield off the bench was great and Paige Travis again very good.

Everything under the sun is in tune

But the sun is eclipsed by the moon

3 minutes ago, Jughead said:

The final deserves to be Wembley or at least it’s own standalone event. The last two finals have been very good to watch, by all accounts. 

It will get there, there’s probably a lot of people watched that live that haven’t seen womens game before and it will attract new followers.

Great game and aren't the ladies coming across brilliantly in their comments and interviews.

• Like 8

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.

3 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

It will get there, there’s probably a lot of people watched that live that haven’t seen womens game before and it will attract new followers.

I got a few at work to watch it. They just wouldn't have if it were on paid-for telly. A game of this quality on free-to-air is always a bonus.

A good result I think as some are staying on to watch the other games. I did have to tell them that in the men's game, despite what Wigan think, you aren't allowed to throw the ball forward 😉

• Like 4

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

That game was great and I do want to add that the BBC coverage was superb. The female punditry team looked and sounded brilliant and it was presented as a modern progressive sport, the commentary was great and the enthusiasm was spot on. 

I loved that to be honest, and I feel sorry for anyone unable to enjoy it for what it is. 

• Like 9

6 minutes ago, jacksy said:

Great game and aren't the ladies coming across brilliantly in their comments and interviews.

Like a breath of fresh air to be honest. 

Definitely going to be taking in some of the Women's World Cup later this year. 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, jacksy said:

I wonder if they've had any media training, because there did seem to be a sort of party line about inspiring future players etc. 

That's by no means a dig at them by the way, i think it would be impressive if they have been given some training.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Like a breath of fresh air to be honest. 

Definitely going to be taking in some of the Women's World Cup later this year. 

The Southern Hemisphere women are on another level. Will be really difficult for the English girls to match them but looking forward to it

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I loved that to be honest, and I feel sorry for anyone unable to enjoy it for what it is. 

I think that is a very generous attitude.  One I would like to emulate but struggle to.

When we watch the early rounds of the Challenge Cup we don't slate the game because it is not as high a quality as the pro game.  Or when we watch the Championship we don't slag it off because it is not the quality of Super League.

And this attitude is exactly what we see when people start putting the Women's game down... in any sport.

You just have to look at that game to see that it is enjoyable for what it is and there is zero reason to make comparisons to other versions of the game.

The more people we see playing and supporting our game the better.

Well done Saints and thanks to both teams for a cracking game.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

3 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

The Southern Hemisphere women are on another level. Will be really difficult for the English girls to match them but looking forward to it

The game on the whole is definitely a higher standard.  We have quality individuals but it is a massive task in front of them come the Autumn.  But I am sure they know that and I am sure they will give it their all.

12 minutes ago, dkw said:

I wonder if they've had any media training, because there did seem to be a sort of party line about inspiring future players etc. 

The women, when interviewed, always seem to more naturally get in the lines about RL as a community with the women's game alongside PDRL etc.

• Like 3

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

On 07/05/2022 at 13:47, Jughead said:

The final deserves to be Wembley or at least it’s own standalone event. The last two finals have been very good to watch, by all accounts. 

I thought it was a great game and being live on bbc will help to grow the Women’s game.  It got me thinking I’m presuming Sky have the rights for the Women’s Super League and they pay next to nothing for them? We should be aiming to get Women’s Super League on either the BBC or Channel 4, even if it’s just the Grand Final to begin with.

I agree it should be a standalone event. 

On 07/05/2022 at 13:58, ckn said:

I did have to tell them that in the men's game, despite what Wigan think, you aren't allowed to throw the ball forward 😉

I saw one dreadful phantom forward pass call against Leeds. Don`t recall any obvious forward passes missed. So what is the basis of the above hilarious comment? Imagine it made by a blokey idiot down the pub to the great amusement of his blokey mates.

Had this been part of a post from the member banned earlier in the thread, doubtless it would have been deemed further evidence of crass sexism. But because it comes from a moderator, it`s perfectly fine.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, unapologetic pedant said:

I saw one dreadful phantom forward pass call against Leeds. Don`t recall any obvious forward passes missed. So what is the basis of the above hilarious comment? Imagine it made by a blokey idiot down the pub to the great amusement of his blokey mates.

Had this been part of a post from the member banned earlier in the thread, doubtless it would have been deemed further evidence of crass sexism. But because it comes from a moderator, it`s perfectly fine.

That’s an enormous chip on that shoulder there.

My post was a flippant post referring to the stereotype of Wigan fans being one eyed towards their own team’s forward passes. There was no sexism, I was referring to the men’s game and the game coming after this one in this thread. There was nothing but me as an established member of the forum trying to lighten the thread after some abusive posting that had spoiled a lot of the enjoyment of the game commentary here. 

If you have a problem with my moderation then feel free to raise it with John Drake. 

• Like 4

18 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

I thought it was a great game and being live on bbc will help to grow the Women’s game.  It got me thinking I’m presuming Sky have the rights for the Women’s Super League and they pay next to nothing for them? We should be aiming to get Women’s Super League on either the BBC or Channel 4, even if it’s just the Grand Final to begin with.

This is a good post.

21 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Well, we've got a double header men's/women's St Helens v Leeds coming up on Sky so that is a start.

Last season, the WSL was on Our League with fifteen minute highlights package on Sky, wasn't it?

We have to be aiming higher than that. The BBC don't put club women's RU on main but it's on the BBC Sport website a lot - that has to be a minimum goal for us too, and we should hope to exceed it.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

@saints1890women

kicked off a huge day of Rugby League action as they retained the

Women's #ChallengeCup title in front of a record UK crowd of 5,888 at Elland Road this afternoon!

So nearly six thousand turned up early for the Women`s match. Very positive.