Sat 7th May: Women's CCF: Leeds Rhinos v St Helens KO 12:00 (BBC Two)

Who will win?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Leeds Rhinos
    • St Helens

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/05/22 at 11:30

1 hour ago, The Rocket said:

@saints1890women

kicked off a huge day of Rugby League action as they retained the

Women's #ChallengeCup title in front of a record UK crowd of 5,888 at Elland Road this afternoon!

So nearly six thousand turned up early for the Women`s match. Very positive.

Should be the stepping stone for a standalone match with a target of 8-10k.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

22 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Should be the stepping stone for a standalone match with a target of 8-10k.

Get the stadium right it could be brilliant, don`t know a lot about your stadiums but I reckon that one at York looks the goods for a stand-alone Women`s final with a crowd of 8-10 000.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Rocket said:

Get the stadium right it could be brilliant, don`t know a lot about your stadiums but I reckon that one at York looks the goods for a stand-alone Women`s final with a crowd of 8-10 000.

I think the problem York has is that it is a little bit out of the way from much of the fanbase, and their fanbase is relatively modest itself, I'd be looking for somewhere more central.

On the stadium choice point, I was disappointed to see that St Helens ground has been awarded the Women's Grand Final, and I think Leeds have the Semi Finals. I think we should be doing a bit better than that based on the fact that both Leeds and Saints are likely to be competing in these games. I don't think we need to be quite so small time, as nice as both those grounds are. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I think the problem York has is that it is a little bit out of the way from much of the fanbase, and their fanbase is relatively modest itself, I'd be looking for somewhere more central.

On the stadium choice point, I was disappointed to see that St Helens ground has been awarded the Women's Grand Final, and I think Leeds have the Semi Finals. I think we should be doing a bit better than that based on the fact that both Leeds and Saints are likely to be competing in these games. I don't think we need to be quite so small time, as nice as both those grounds are. 

Yeah sure mate, as I said I don`t know a lot about your stadiums and if the location is a problem you`d know that better than me. But the one thing I did like about what I`ve seen of the York stadium, and why I mentioned it,  is that it is so fresh and new looking, and I think that as the Women`s League offers us an opportunity to present the game in a whole new light I think the shiny new stadium would fit right in with that narrative.

When I say new light and I`m sure you are aware of this but I mean the way the women`s game is being played, `breath of fresh air ` is an expression I`ve seen used and used myself with regard our Women`s comp. I think the same can even be said of the way the women interview, I think you`ll agree the whole thing could hopefully be a whole new way of marketing and introducing people to the sport. Something I`ll admit I never would have picked in a million years if you asked me two years ago.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

Yeah sure mate, as I said I don`t know a lot about your stadiums and if the location is a problem you`d know that better than me. But the one thing I did like about what I`ve seen of the York stadium, and why I mentioned it,  is that it is so fresh and new looking, and I think that as the Women`s League offers us an opportunity to present the game in a whole new light I think the shiny new stadium would fit right in with that narrative.

When I say new light and I`m sure you are aware of this but I mean the way the women`s game is being played, `breath of fresh air ` is an expression I`ve seen used and used myself with regard our Women`s comp. I think the same can even be said of the way the women interview, I think you`ll agree the whole thing could hopefully be a whole new way of marketing and introducing people to the sport. Something I`ll admit I never would have picked in a million years if you asked me two years ago.

Completely agree, I described it as such on the match thread at the weekend. 

I have a 5 year old daughter and keen to take her to some of these games, I'd rather they are not just used as warmup for the men. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

Warrington was suggested with York on the 4020 podcast this week. Danika Priim was on again and made lots of interesting points not just about the game on the field, but off it as well.

22 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Completely agree, I described it as such on the match thread at the weekend. 

I have a 5 year old daughter and keen to take her to some of these games, I'd rather they are not just used as warmup for the men. 

It`s an interesting point Dave, I think it depends upon how we view the women`s comp. We had the Women`s game over here on at 2p.m. Sunday, directly before the men`s game at 4p.m. both televised on FTA. I initially though the 2p.m. slot was a bit of a graveyard time slot but in the end the ratings came in very strong for a new comp. I eventually came to the conclusion that obviously people were finding it easy to come inside just two hours early for their Sunday afternoon League fix.

Having said that my initial concerns were supported by the fact that they weren`t getting great crowds which I wasn`t happy about because it`s not much fun I don`t imagine playing in front of near empty stadiums. Funny enough I posted on here somewhere how pleased I was when the ratings figures came out because at least the girls would know they had a pretty significant audience on TV.

I`m hoping as the comp matures that supporting the women`s team will become as important as supporting the men`s and those fans will make the trip a bit earlier, this rather than the girl`s game being seen as the warm-up act.

On your daughter it`s a funny thing I even discouraged my daughter from hanging around the League jocks at school because I thought they would be a bad influence with her studies. I`d take my boys to the League but not her. I let her play soccer and she was a real little tiger, in there boots and all. Now that I`ve had my eyes opened with the women`s comp and how so many of the girls come across as really polite and well-mannered I regret my decision, even if she had only gone down the path of refereeing or something else League related if she wanted to. I took her to a Group Three game last time she was home and she loved it, so it appears I hadn`t turned her off it for life.

On 08/05/2022 at 22:49, ckn said:

That’s an enormous chip on that shoulder there.

My post was a flippant post referring to the stereotype of Wigan fans being one eyed towards their own team’s forward passes. There was no sexism, I was referring to the men’s game and the game coming after this one in this thread. There was nothing but me as an established member of the forum trying to lighten the thread after some abusive posting that had spoiled a lot of the enjoyment of the game commentary here. 

If you have a problem with my moderation then feel free to raise it with John Drake. 

I`ve read your post again and still think the natural way to construe it, in the context of the thread, is that you were implying that the women had been throwing the ball forward. This wouldn`t be the first time I`ve misinterpreted a post and I`ve had plenty of my own misinterpreted.

In my defence, you`ll be well aware that some men make flippant and dismissive comments about women`s RL. In fact, yours was very similar to one I responded to on another platform.

No chip, just an overreaction. And no objection to the moderation.