Less than 20,000 sold for Cup Semi Triple Header it seems

• Scubby changed the title to Less than 20,000 sold for Cup Semi Triple Header it seems

If they don't sell 20k, serious questions need to be asked about the merits of a double header semi final. The previous crowds have been passable, but this would be way down on those. 

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

If they don't sell 20k, serious questions need to be asked about the merits of a double header semi final. The previous crowds have been passable, but this would be way down on those. 

I agree. Double headers or triple headers in this case have to be big, glitzy affairs if they are to have a place. If they do not create something bigger and better than their individual parts then I don't think they have a place.

I do acknowledge that I am perhaps more sceptical than most about their place but I am not convinced that many people actually want to sit there for 4 or 6 hours of RL. This is particularly so at an old ground like Elland Road.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Agree the venue just doesn't sell itself, and unlike Magic, or CCF, where there's always some locals taking their chance to see some top RL, I can't see many Leeds folk turning up. 

Also in the current economic climate, given that it's on terrestrial you can see why some Wigan and Saints fans might give a trip over to Leeds a miss. There will be 3 possibly 4 other derby games this season. 

KR I'm not surprised are turning out, and Hudds, well, crowds have been a challenge for a while. 

Edited by Toby Chopra
  • Like 1

Sadly the CC in  its present form is well past its sell by date and needs a total re-vamp.

Hull KR selling the most tickets doesn't surprise me at all.

I really cannot see the final at Tottenham hitting 30000 and Wembley  is now well passed its sell by date.

The novelty of the same venue every year for club finals has gone even the SL final is struggling and personally i think needs a 2 week window for the final with a change of venue every year maybe a 5 year cycle between WembleyCardiff/Edinburgh/Dublin/France would work 

Paul

Edited by ATLANTISMAN
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Sadly the CC in  its present form is well past its sell by date and needs a total re-vamp.

I really cannot see the final at Tottenham hitting 30000 and Wembley  is now well passed its sell by date.

The novelty of the same venue every year for club finals has gone even the SL, final is struggling and personally i think needs a 2 week window for the final with a change of venue every year maybe a 5 year cycle between WembleyCardiff/Edinburgh/Dublin/France would work 

Paul

I don't agree with it being in France ,money is tight enough without having to get to France. 

2 hours ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

The novelty of the same venue every year for club finals has gone even the SL final is struggling and personally i think needs a 2 week window for the final with a change of venue every year maybe a 5 year cycle between WembleyCardiff/Edinburgh/Dublin/France would work 

Paul

The SL final isn't struggling. Take away the last final involving Catalans and it's consistently in the low 60k to low 70k range.

RL must have some major issues the way that some people think the solution is always to turn things like Magic and the CC final into a traveling circus so that people can have a ###### up in a new city every year. Maybe there are more fundamental issues at place and we are just doing these things badly.

Edited by Damien
  • Like 6

8 minutes ago, Eddie said:

What about if Catalans or Toulouse get to a final? 

Well that would better for them and would make more sense. Fans don't seem too bothered about the cup final in UK so can't see them going to France.

19 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Paul

Add Newcastle and Manchester on that list.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Paul

Spurs will see a big crowd as its a new venue, saints vs KR is probably the best bet at a big crowd, wigan would also travel on mass.

• Like 1

This is not taking the mick here but Leigh should have hosted Saints vs Wigan semi or Warrington at a push. A sell out of a smaller venue makes people feel like they are missing out. Tickets being sold out before they go on general release increases future ticket sales. This was very much the case for grand finals when OT was only 65 thousand capacity.

Ellend Road is just a sad play by the Yorkshire central/biased rfl 

Hull kr vs Huddersfield at fetherstone or Cas.

Womens final at Halifax.

Edited by yipyee
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

How many neutrals would go to any semi-finals - either as a single, double or triple header at a fancy venue or not?

It’s a completely flawed concept and the ‘big’ game to concentrate and sell should be the final itself.

• Like 7

Not defending any club here but what promotion has there been for this by the RFL and the BBC? Who actually knows that this is going on outside of us lot, the people who actually follow the sport?

If you want an event, make it one. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, theswanmcr said:

How many neutrals would go to any semi-finals - either as a single, double or triple header at a fancy venue or not?

It’s a completely flawed concept and the ‘big’ game to concentrate and sell should be the final itself.

Fans of the first semi final also #### off after the first game. You are not going to hang around if you have just lost a CC semi.

• Like 6

20 minutes ago, Jughead said:

Not defending any club here but what promotion has there been for this by the RFL and the BBC? Who actually knows that this is going on outside of us lot, the people who actually follow the sport?

If you want an event, make it one. 

Little to nothing in Leeds itself, and come to think of it perhaps even less in Huddersfield too.

That said, what are they selling and who are they selling it to?

• Like 1

I’ve never understood why the RFL seem to think an event means ‘more games’. Who wants to sit thru 3 matches, surely none but the most ardent of fans?

An event is about more than the game itself. I can see some logic in the semis being a double header if it really had much more surrounding it than just the games, but I don’t know that this does. And the womens game … I guess doing that as well secures the National coverage, but does feel a bit overkill.

• Like 2

Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League

Harry Jepson Winners 2008

RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008

East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008

Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005

RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

I guess the only good thing about a double header is that it lowers the production costs in some areas for your broadcast partners.

Did seem optimistic holding it at Elland Rd though.

Personally I’d rather watch two separate semi finals in smaller but more atmospheric environments rather than rattle around a big stadium.

Obviously fair play to those making the trip.

Edited by Gerrumonside ref
  • Like 2

A senior Giants official told me even before our tickets went on sale that all the clubs and the RFL were worried that the stadium would only be half full.

If less than 20,000 have been sold the ground will probably be a 1/4 full for the 5.00 kick off.

Not really a good look for the game, I said all along there would be less than 10,000 for each game, I could be right, it's probably obvious that very few people will stay and watch 2 or even all 3 games, especially in a ground like Elland Road.

1 hour ago, Toby Chopra said:

Agree the venue just doesn't sell itself, and unlike Magic, or CCF, where there's always some locals taking their chance to see some top RL, I can't see many Leeds folk turning up. 

Also in the current economic climate, given that it's on terrestrial you can see why some Wigan and Saints fans might give a trip over to Leeds a miss. There will be 3 possibly 4 other derby games this season. 

KR I'm not surprised are turning out, and Hudds, well, crowds have been a challenge for a while. 

Our sales were not far behind Wigan's until a few days ago, we will take around 65% of our home support, can the others say that?

• Thanks 1

I'm going 1st semi final for a long time .

Will probably watch 2nd half of Saints v Wigan .

Then hopefully see a HKR win .

5/6 people going in our party , should be a good day , few beers , some rugby , good company , what's not to like .

• Like 3

With the club allocations mostly in the corners it's going to look pretty horrible on TV if that's all they've sold.

We'll be there for the Saints double header but will probably head off after that.

FWIW I think they misjudged the pricing somewhat given the whole event seems to be just aimed at existing supporters of the five clubs involved. Going off Saints ticket sales the £25 allocated sections will be pretty much sold out but there's plenty available in the £55 and £45 areas (adults AND concessions same price) which I'm assuming will be facing the TV cameras. Who is that price point aimed at? Ridiculous when there's potentially a final in London three weeks later.

If you're not going to put any effort into building around the event (and by that I mean more than just stuffing three games back to back in one stadium) and targeting people other than regular ticket holders, surely you've got to be more realistic with pricing and stadium selection? The whole approach to the cup needs a serious re-think tbh.

• Like 4

At times it seems impossible that we could once get 65,000 for these matches. Sad really. 

Edited by RL Sonja

"There has never been a Challenge Cup semifinal of 65,000 either individually or combined" - Damien