Less than 20,000 sold for Cup Semi Triple Header it seems

35 minutes ago, Damien said:

Whether that is right or wrong blaming fans for saying their view is wrong isn't the way to get more people to attend. All of the fans who have stated various reasons why attending this isn't for them cannot be wrong. Even if they were then you still need to take their views on board as they are the customer. Its not like the RFL have got this right or this discussion wouldn't be taking place and we'd be on course for a sellout or even just a 30k crowd.

You have to give fans what they want and you have to give them a reason why they want to attend. This is even more so when the said matches are all on TV and you can watch them from the comfort of your living room for no money. Saying they are wrong or peddling myths does not get anyone else to go.

I'm not blaming anyone for anything? I'm disputing the stadium choice being a key contributing factor as to why this attendance might not be great. 

You say give fans what they want...well what is they want and was there a stadium available that can accommodate that? Again, to me it comes back to we don't have enough people that are actually wanting to attendance this game and there's plenty of strong valid reasons why that may be - i'm not even doubting that for a few it might be the stadium. But I can't get onboard with the idea that ER and Anfield as stadiums are keeping people away in their droves. 

1 hour ago, DimmestStar said:
6K STRONG💪 6,000 KR supporters will be at Elland Road for our Semi-Final this Saturday. The BEST fans 🙌 #UpTheRobins 🔴⚪️

Actually the true figure is more like 7,000 because a lot of Rovers fans purchased off the RFL.

Yup, our 4 bought off the RFL because of their ridiculous policy of not enabling you to choose your seats, only the block, via the clubs.

Our sport at times thinks it’s still the 1980’s, treating loyal fans like cattle not customers. I’d heard all the horror stories of people buying pre-orders and then ending up in cr@ppy seats, so dodged it…. when you think the place won’t even be half-full is even more ridiculous 

• Like 2

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

10 minutes ago, Damien said:

I just saw this on Twitter, its pretty hard to disagree:

The Champions League final will start about four hours after our game finishes. I don’t think that’s a legitimate gripe at all.

• Like 9

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

26 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

The Champions League final will start about four hours after our game finishes. I don’t think that’s a legitimate gripe at all.

Yes, it's absolute BS - moaning for moaning's sake.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Yes, it's absolute BS - moaning for moaning's sake.

Can be blame the crowd on Britain's Got Talent being on?

Either people want to go or they don't, and if they don't, they'll make up any reason to do so.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

I understand that but I certainly dont think its helpful to go against it on the same day. It may be later but northern fans wouldn't be back for it and it could certainly be the difference between a neutral fan attending or not. Plenty of RL fans are also Football fans.

It is also not helpful from a media coverage point of view. When the sport struggles for column inches and tv coverage as it is scheduling clashes with huge events do not help.

As I said I can see your point of view but in my opinion its just a needless scheduling clash.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Damien said:

I understand that but I certainly dont think its helpful to go against it on the same day. It may be later but northern fans wouldn't be back for it and it could certainly be the difference between a neutral fan attending or not. Plenty of RL fans are also Football fans.

It is also not helpful from a media coverage point of view. When the sport struggles for column inches and tv coverage as it is scheduling clashes with huge events do not help.

As I said I can see your point of view but in my opinion its just a needless scheduling clash.

The Champions league final could have been an all Spanish game. Do schedulers have a crystal ball?

13 minutes ago, RigbyLuger said:

Shouldn't the pro game take precedent over amateur/junior fixtures? Can't imagine the FA or RFU worrying about attendances because some pub games are on or 5th XVs.

The FA and RFU have little trouble selling events and attracting fans. They also don't look to constantly sell to the same limited pool of people.

RL on the other hand does. For a triple header where you are looking to attract neutrals making it hard for amateur players and fans to attend instantly takes away a good portion of that target market. 

8 minutes ago, Damien said:

We wouldn't get those column inches anyway. There's always going to be something on. Blame the RFL for many things, but not trying to put together a schedule of events in a year after major restrictions, a World Cup of your own moved, and the FIFA one when it's never been before.

I'd accept the Champions League criticism if people made it at the time, rather than when Liverpool got there.

Also, if we are waiting for a 'clear' weekend, we'll be waiting a while. Weekend before Challenge Cup Final? Last weekend of PremierLeague season. Weekend before that? FA Cup Final. First weekend of June? Queen's Jubilee.

Easy to criticise timings. Hard to find an alternative.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Damien said:

I think the CL is a minor distraction in the scheme of things. I know I’m not in the mainstream on this but I don’t think it’s event TV in the same way as, say, England internationals are.

I do think we have issues with scheduling and could do a lot of things around that better but this isn’t one of those time (just IMO).

• Like 3

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

6 hours ago, HawkMan said:

Rugby League fans do have trouble with events held at Football stadiums that hitherto have caused no problems for hundreds of thousands of others over the years. But it's not our  fault. Before making pronouncements about whether White Hart Lane or Anfield is world class, those people claiming that they are should ask if it can hold a RL event.

Rugby League is the true world class game and a stadium should be able to hold a RL event to gain world class status. The Jungle can hold a satisfactory RL event, Anfield Elland Rd and probably WHL cannot. Therefore The Jungle is world class and Anfield WHL Elland Rd aren't. QED! 😆🤪

Correct , because you can choose to stand up at the Jungle , an option not offered at WHL or Anfield 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, daz39 said:

But the 38,000 you mention are Leeds united fans going to Leeds united's ground to watch Leeds united play, they will do this blindly as most fans of any team does, the ground will have very little impact on them attending, this is a totally different scenario, we are trying to get neutral rugby league fans to go to a place they know is not comfortable or enjoyable and to sit through 3 games of Rugby not involving their team, the venue is absolutely a massive factor for them.

Semi finals are not games to attract neutral fans in any sport 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

I think the CL is a minor distraction in the scheme of things. I know I’m not in the mainstream on this but I don’t think it’s event TV in the same way as, say, England internationals are.

I do think we have issues with scheduling and could do a lot of things around that better but this isn’t one of those time (just IMO).

Since it went off FTA it has declined imo, as has the rest of the Champions League.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DimmestStar said:
6K STRONG💪 6,000 KR supporters will be at Elland Road for our Semi-Final this Saturday. The BEST fans 🙌 #UpTheRobins 🔴⚪️

Actually the true figure is more like 7,000 because a lot of Rovers fans purchased off the RFL.

Excellent numbers  but how do you know who people that bought from the RFL support? do you have to disclose your allegiance?

3 hours ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

I'm not blaming anyone for anything? I'm disputing the stadium choice being a key contributing factor as to why this attendance might not be great. 

You say give fans what they want...well what is they want and was there a stadium available that can accommodate that? Again, to me it comes back to we don't have enough people that are actually wanting to attendance this game and there's plenty of strong valid reasons why that may be - i'm not even doubting that for a few it might be the stadium. But I can't get onboard with the idea that ER and Anfield as stadiums are keeping people away in their droves. 

Why don't you think where we stage the game is a major factor in attendances? It would (to me) feel like an absolutely crucial factor.