Less than 20,000 sold for Cup Semi Triple Header it seems

17 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

They used to do it in football and RL all the time 

I know but there’s a reason they can’t do it so soon now, namely availability of grounds, arranging policing etc. the same reason why cup replays used to be 3 days later but now have to be a week and a half apart. 

1 minute ago, Eddie said:

I know but there’s a reason they can’t do it so soon now, namely availability of grounds, arranging policing etc. the same reason why cup replays used to be 3 days later but now have to be a week and a half apart. 

Why wouldn’t rugby league grounds be available on these dates?

Not sure either about the policing point tbh.

The case for triple headers at football grounds just doesn’t stack up.

6 minutes ago, Eddie said:

That's not the reason - the reason is because the FA still need to recoup their investment in Wembley. They're coming under huge pressure to revert back to neutral venues for semis. Not least of all because it's massively taken the gloss off getting to the final at Wembley. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

😂😂😂😂

Although to be fair we have bought 1/3rd of the tickets sold, so looking forward to a sea of red tomorrow 👍🏼

Well considering most of the crowd will be in red and white......Leave the colour to the Fartowners 😉

20 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

That's not the reason - the reason is because the FA still need to recoup their investment in Wembley. They're coming under huge pressure to revert back to neutral venues for semis. Not least of all because it's massively taken the gloss off getting to the final at Wembley. 

I meant cup replays, eg 3rd round when they used to play them the same midweek but due to policing issues they’re now 10 days later.  I know why the semis are at Wembley, but even if they move them to neutral venues the FA won’t be picking the venues after the quarter finals. 

Edited by Eddie

23 minutes ago, Eddie said:

A number of venues get pre-booked for semi finals and planned accordingly and then the final selection is made once the semi finalists are confirmed. This was the case literally up to 2019 so no reason why they can’t be done other than taking EFL play offs in to consideration (but they’ll probably move the final date again anyway next year 🙄)

24 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

A number of venues get pre-booked for semi finals and planned accordingly and then the final selection is made once the semi finalists are confirmed. This was the case literally up to 2019 so no reason why they can’t be done other than taking EFL play offs in to consideration (but they’ll probably move the final date again anyway next year 🙄)

Probably because they need to pay a deposit, which the RFL can’t or won’t pay, while the FA can and will. 

1 hour ago, daz39 said:

Well considering most of the crowd will be in red and white......Leave the colour to the Fartowners 😉

Both of ‘em? 😂

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

Probably because they need to pay a deposit, which the RFL can’t or won’t pay, while the FA can and will. 

I was talking about Challenge Cup semi finals. The RFL reserved venues every year up until 2019 when the first triple header was held. Even then, it was quite a late confirmation of the event. 

33 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

I was talking about Challenge Cup semi finals. The RFL reserved venues every year up until 2019 when the first triple header was held. Even then, it was quite a late confirmation of the event. 

Fair enough in that case. 

3 hours ago, Eddie said:

Which all happened before. None of that is a new phenomenon. 

On 05/05/2022 at 19:53, Dave T said:

I agree (we must stop making this a regular thing). I'm really disappointed that our attempts to grow the womens game has been purely to try and sell it to our existing crowd. It shows how useless and lacking in faith they are in the version. 

When watching on TV it is quite clear that the women's football and rugby union versions are watched by quite different crowds, yet we seem to want to just flog it as a freebie to supporters of the men's game. 

I'm looking forward to the womens and wheelchair RLWC's this year to take my 6 year old daughter to hopefully get her inspired by the women and wheelchair athletes. I may not take her to a single men's game. I don't think we recognise that these things can widen our audience and diversify the fan base of RL. 

The womens games I've attended recently have had a totally different demographic than the usual RL crowd younger, positive, enthusiastic and seemingly more 'upmarket', so why do we then freeze these people out in the hope of attracting the same people who go to magic and grand finals etc.

A total waste in trying to attract a different audience to the game.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, Eddie said:

Carrow Road can be added to that short list. 

I've mentioned this before and although like Elland road, the stadium is showing its age and some of the seats, views and legroom are poor by today's standards, but Hillsborough would be a good choice.

It's easily accessible from Sheffield city by trams which stop across the road from the ground or in the centre of Hillsborough where there are plenty of pubs, bars, shops, etc, there's also a massive park behind the ground to host fan zones etc.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, WakefieldCityLoyal said:

What’s with the moaning Elland Road’s a decent stadium.  Probably the easiest ground in the uk to get to, good atmosphere and although dated decent facilities if you’re in the east stand excellent facilities.  Rugby League fans only happy when moaning.

Easiest ground in the UK to get to?

It's not even the easiest ground in Leeds to get to!

1 hour ago, meast said:

The womens games I've attended recently have had a totally different demographic than the usual RL crowd younger, positive, enthusiastic and seemingly more 'upmarket', so why do we then freeze these people out in the hope of attracting the same people who go to magic and grand finals etc.

A total waste in trying to attract a different audience to the game.

At Batley we have a very positive, enthusiastic following too. And also plenty of females and people who are from different demographics. I am sure other teams have them also. 

Being "upmarket" doesn't make people better than others so this shouldn't be an issue. 

If Batley women's team were there I would support them. So I don't see why St Helens or Leeds fans wouldn't do the same. 

Edited by Niels
  • Like 2

I really don’t understand people’s reasoning that Elland Road is the problem here, or the fact it’s a double header. Wigan haven’t sold 1,500 tickets because of poor leg room, the ground is hard to get to (which it isn’t, it’s just over an hour drive) or the horror of it being a triple header; they’ve sold that few tickets because the majority of their fans don’t want to go to their semi final against their biggest rivals.

That to me is shocking, and highlights how Wigan are haemorrhaging support, yet will the club ever react to it. Anyone who thinks they’d have taken 7,000 to Warrington for this game is having a laugh. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Eddie said:

I really don’t understand people’s reasoning that Elland Road is the problem here, or the fact it’s a double header. Wigan haven’t sold 1,500 tickets because of poor leg room, the ground is hard to get to (which it isn’t, it’s just over an hour drive) or the horror of it being a triple header; they’ve sold that few tickets because the majority of their fans don’t want to go to their semi final against their biggest rivals.

That to me is shocking, and highlights how Wigan are haemorrhaging support, yet will the club ever react to it. Anyone who thinks they’d have taken 7,000 to Warrington for this game is having a laugh. 

The argument is that double headers/triple headers were sold as the solution to already falling attendances and that, by having double (triple) headers, there would be more of an event feel, and thus more than just the regular attendees at games would be drawn to attend.

Assuming that that remains the reasoning then all the things around stadium location, time in seat, in/out passes, pricing, entertainment become relevant which is why they've been discussed.

Which is why I think we have to accept that there is zero likelihood of enough neutrals turning up to make any notable difference to the attendance so it comes back to whether separate matches or one big bargain bucket for broadcasters is 'better'.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Anybody who thinks neutrals are a target audience for a semi final needs their heads examining , as is the idea that fans will care who wins the other game , each set of fans will watch their own game , either arriving just before and then leaving straight after 

• Like 2