Wigan 1,750

Saints 3,400

Huddersfield 1,800

As for percentage of average home crowd these figures equate to:

Hull KR 68.44%

Huddersfield 34.54%

St Helens 24.80%

Wigan 16.17%

Shocking from Wigan, biggest club in RL imo along with Leeds,their fans have had that much success over the years it's taken for granted.

2 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

It is, but that is the nature of the competition at the moment it seems sadly.

Yup. When teams like Wire get 2.5k at home in the cup, we'd love to achieve a level of respectability. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

You can't be serious. Fair enough Elland Road has its problems for this event but to counter that with "whatabout Hillsborough?" is genuinely laughable. We get it, you don't like LUFC...

Hillsborough is easily accessible by trams from the city centre, from Meadowhall, from all points across the wider Sheffield area, Elland Road isn't as easily accessible.

Hillsborough is within walking distance of  plenty of pubs, bars, restaurants, shops, etc, Elland Road isn't.

Hillsborough has a big park next door to it so things could be arranged to have fans involved in something other than sat on an uncomfortable, cramped plastic seat, of which Hillsborough,.like Elland Road also has plenty.

The grounds themselves are very much similar, but there's plenty scope for things to do outside the ground at Hillsborough, unlike say, Elland Road or Anfield.

22 minutes ago, Fevrover said:

Not actually good ?! Are you joking?

You can be happy with fewer fans turning up for a cup semi final than a league game if you want

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

31 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I suspect the poster is a Wednesday fan, it is the only rational reasoning I can guess. Most non LUFC Yorkshire football club fans have serious anti Leeds blindspots. Fair enough, but that doesn't make any other ground of their choice particularly better...

It's not about the ground, it's about the location and the scope to make an event more palatable.

25 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

You can be happy with fewer fans turning up for a cup semi final than a league game if you want

League games are more popular than cup games (the final and some lopsided games like Saints away at Whitehaven aside for example). 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Probably most have season tickets so already games are paid for. Extra cost for semi finals to a lot of fans who MAY be struggling with the well published cost of living rises. I think it's an excellent support from HKR.

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

The posts from John Davidson who started this a few days ago are certainly more positive now. 

It doesn't cancel out any of the discussion so far, but it would look respectable. It's just a shame that our aim is respectability. 

This event peaks early in the second half of the first men's game when you have fans for the first game there and fans pouring in for the second and taking a nosy at semi final 1. That will give us an indication of what the day achieved in terms of attendance etc. 

• Like 3

The cup has been kicked around like an old boot over that last decades, moving dates and of course covid. Crowds at the final are on the decline sadly.

This can be reversed, but just closing your eyes and hoping doing the same thing as before (and keeping your fingers crossed about which teams make the final) is probably not going to cut it.

2 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

It is, but that is the nature of the competition at the moment it seems sadly.

When you think about it the challenge cup has become a second class citizen, the RFL/SLE have been blowing smoke up Sky Sports ring for the last twenty odd years and basically made the cup a side show for  not reaching the final.any supporter of the clubs

• Thanks 1

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

4 minutes ago, Marauder said:

When you think about it the challenge cup has become a second class citizen, the RFL/SLE have been blowing smoke up Sky Sports ring for the last twenty odd years and basically made the cup a side show for  not reaching the final.any supporter of the clubs

I don't think that is the main reason tbh. Most Cups in every sport have declined and have been doing so for well before Sky came along. Back to the 70s the parity between League and Cup had already started to fade. 

Sky accelerated the shift that had already taken place, but it would have been folly to do anything otherwise. Cups just aren't as popular anymore, and one off purchases runs contrary to the Season ticket culture that is knocking on for over half a century old now - only the final itself holds the prestige to attract the majority of fans.

The change from Wembley and its rebuild also had a major impact. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Scubby said:

The cup has been kicked around like an old boot over that last decades, moving dates and of course covid. Crowds at the final are on the decline sadly.

This can be reversed, but just closing your eyes and hoping doing the same thing as before (and keeping your fingers crossed about which teams make the final) is probably not going to cut it.

I think they have tried different things but have skirted around the core problem. When the cup was founded, knockout open cups were the most popular games for spectators to go to - that just isn't the case anymore. The basic founding principle doesn't exist, and it has been looking for a cause beyond the final and a trip to Wembley ever since. 

Even the final itself isn't as special. I say this typing from a pub in London that the capital just isn't that rare attraction anymore which northerners need to attach a cup final on to be able to go to. 

Arguably the Challenge Cup needs reinventing for the modern world to regain its prominence. I know how I think I would do it, and there are other options too.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dave T said:

As much as people try and dismiss it, we see it in black and white that stadium choice affects numbers. That's why its a discussion. 

And it's one factor of many. Yes in isolation it may not seem that much but if you find many other things about the event not to your liking then an unappealing venue can easily swing it. Certainly for neutrals.

I'm sure many of those complaining about the stadium, and rightly so in my opinion, would still go if it was England v Australia in World Cup final. However this is not one of those must see events, as much as we'd like that to be the case.

Another factor that has so far gone unsaid but appears quite logical is that both Elland Road and Spurs were supposed to host Ashes Test matches in 2020 that were ultimately cancelled.

I suspect it is no coincidence that they were chosen for the cup considering.

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Arguably the Challenge Cup needs reinventing for the modern world to regain its prominence. I know how I think I would do it, and there are other options too.

I’d be up for hearing your suggestions.

55 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Packing them in for the first match of the triple header ...

The BBC promote Women’s Rah Rah really well , unlike Women’s RL where they don’t two hoots .

Whats galling is that it’s a terrific match and totally eclipses any Women’s RU game.

1 hour ago, Tommygilf said:

I don't think that is the main reason tbh. Most Cups in every sport have declined and have been doing so for well before Sky came along. Back to the 70s the parity between League and Cup had already started to fade. 

Sky accelerated the shift that had already taken place, but it would have been folly to do anything otherwise. Cups just aren't as popular anymore, and one off purchases runs contrary to the Season ticket culture that is knocking on for over half a century old now - only the final itself holds the prestige to attract the majority of fans.

The change from Wembley and its rebuild also had a major impact. 

Maybe the decline of the FA cup has had a subconscious effect on the challenge cup in people’s minds. Because whereas the FA cup paled into insignificance due to champions league money the challenge cup hasn’t been replaced with anything else; it’s still the second best club competition to win in northern hemisphere rugby league, and the third best in the world. 

38 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Maybe the decline of the FA cup has had a subconscious effect on the challenge cup in people’s minds.

Yep, the FA cup in such decline that Liverpool and Manchester City semi at Wembley for two northern teams, when there was railway engineering works and no direct trains, drew a paltry attendance of er...80,000..oh sorry should have thought a bit more before posting. 

So football is so dominant that RL fans think, if football fans don't go to their semis ,( even though they do) , then we won't go!! Eddie you are a wonderful comedian  take it up professionally. 

Edited by HawkMan

10 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

Yep, the FA cup in such decline that Liverpool and Manchester City semi at Wembley for two northern teams, when there was railway engineering works and no direct trains, drew a paltry attendance of er...80,000..oh sorry should have thought a bit more before posting. 

So football is so dominant that RL fans think, if football fans don't go to their semis ,( even though they do) , then we won't go!! Eddie you are a wonderful comedian  take it up professionally. 

You don’t think the significance of the FA cup has hugely declined then pal? Well ok, if you’re a teenager and don’t know anything about football history. 

• Confused 1

In my opinion, this illustrates the effect that free to air game coverage has on levels of paying spectators. More people will see thee games but not necessarily in person.

I have to add that I do like Elland Road. Mainly because they have named a stand after me.

Edited by JohnM
Predictive text!!!
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Eddie said:

You don’t think the significance of the FA cup has hugely declined then pal? Well ok, if you’re a teenager and don’t know anything about football history. 

No I'm 61, I didn't say it hasn't lessened in importance , but at least supporters can still get off their backsides to get to a semi final hundreds of miles away, even when both clubs have bigger targets.

Edited by HawkMan

18 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Another reason why these triple and double headers need to go is that Huddersfield FC are at home for final game of season. So zero chance of any casual fans from Huddersfield. 

The Huddersfield Town game has finished. It’s over 2 and a half hours until the Giants game starts. Surely that is do-able?

• Like 3