Less than 20,000 sold for Cup Semi Triple Header it seems

9 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

Decent, and good to see the second game carried over most of the audience from the first, despite a chamnel switch and teatime. Averaging 650k across 4 hours of rugby is something substantial to show broadcasters and sponsors. 

If the BBC puts the promotional effort in, I hope this puts us on track for peaks of 1.5m for the CCF, 2m for the England group games in the world cup, 2.5m for the knockouts and... if we were to make the final... 3m+, which I think would be a record for the multichannel era. 

As I’ve stated before in previous posts , they’ll be zero promotion for the CCF and RLWC, from the BBC .

Has the penny not dropped yet with people,  it’s a filler in of time for the BBC and RL fans have got to ‘ suck it up’.

6 minutes ago, soulboy said:

As I’ve stated before in previous posts , they’ll be zero promotion for the CCF and RLWC, from the BBC .

Has the penny not dropped yet with people,  it’s a filler in of time for the BBC and RL fans have got to ‘ suck it up’.

For the CCF, possibly. For the World Cup they've committed to far too many hours of coverage for it to be just filler, so they'll need it to cut through. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

Stuff like this makes me delighted and angry in equal measure.  Delighted because it shows when exposed to the product people get glued to it. 

Angry because our sport has never capitalised on the fact that this combined with a serious international tournament on FTA and we actually have an amazing product to sell. 

One SL game a week on FTA, challenge cup on Beeb and month long end of season internationals in Europe and we'd be laughing. 

I read in on an Aussie site that posts League (mostly NRL) stuff, I straight away came over to TRL forum to see whether it was up, couldn`t see it anywhere so I stuck it up here, I`m really pleased for you all, I think it`s a great result, and the women`s result I though was brilliant. Great result, there`s life in the old girl yet.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Just wait until the final now that Huddersfield are there.

Tottenham Hotspur Stadium only holds 62,850 compared to Wembley’s 90,000, it’s a far more suitable size for a Rugby League Final. With the novelty of a new stadium attracting neutral Rugby League fans I think it should be close to if not full.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Eddie said:

So you think most people at the Wigan Athletic or Hull City matches are there at the expense of eating or heating? 

No, I said the ones who don't turn up could be sat at home because they may be in a position of making the chose between heating or eating, ot may be because of one of the other reason I mentioned as well, or a completely different one, like fallen out of love with rugby league because they don't like what the game has developed into in the last 30 years.

Edited by Marauder
  • Like 1

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

10 hours ago, gingerjon said:

I'm just nicking this comment on a recent Guardian article on non league football because it echoes a point I've made and seen made elsewhere: attendances across the board are up, sometimes by absolutely staggering amounts.

"Another encouraging thing this season was a general increase in attendances, our average at Enfield Town was up 62% and we weren't alone in the Isthmian Prem with 14/22 clubs reporting increases, Worthing and Lewes having doubled their crowds. Having a quick look on Non League Matters it seems this was replicated across the country and leagues with South Shields, for example, increasing their average by nearly 500%! Could be that people started watching their local teams while elite football was behind closed doors, a growing disillusionment with money ruling at the top, or people reassessing their finances and priorities post Covid, but it's a welcome change and I hope it continues. We smashed our record with 1,948 at our play off semi and apart from the atmosphere and occasion benefitting, the income from that one game is probably equivalent to a decent run in the FA competitions and will definitely help us move forward in the summer and next season."

Can't see any drop in league attendances either TBH. Bradford City got their highest ever Division 4 attendance yesterday for example.

Tier 4?I bet when you go back to when they did play in division 3 North you'll find they got larger crowds

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

Not sure where to put this and it didnt deserve its own thread, but pleasantly surprised to hear a radio advert for final tickets on Radio X this afternoon.

Edited by Just Browny
  • Like 2

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

8 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Yes, I was going to put into my post the time, effort and money that would be required to change things around, but are the last two viable in our sport especially by the governing body I can't comment on the first one but tge few times we here anything from them doesn't give the impression that they are overworked.

I think that's where the skill comes in. Skillful leaders make good decisions and know where to invest the funds and get the best returns. Or hire the right people and age cues who know how to do this stuff. 

These things don't come cheap (or easy), but working hard to get the right customers really is what is needed. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

Not sure where to put this and it didnt deserve its own thread, but pleasantly surprised to hear a radio advert for final tickets on Radio X this afternoon.

To be fair for a second to the RFL, we do actually do advertising.

I saw some nonsense on Twitter this week where apparently a club official didn't even know the Challenge Cup was on this weekend. Now, it was shared by the bitter Bulls fan who is ful of his own self importance and has a vendetta against Martyn, and tbh it has to be complete BS. 

There has been plenty of email and social media activity about the semi finals from the RFL, and I don't believe that any digitally engaged existing fan wasn't aware of the games this week (awareness and selling are obviously different things). 

But we do use radio advertising regularly, as well as plenty of emails and social media, but I do think they target existing customers, mainly because they have the best ROI, so people can pay themselves on the back, ig oring the fact these customers were likely to go anyway. 

On the point of advertising, I would like to add I have seen a noticeable push on Sky recently, SL has been getting loads of generic advertising "Home of SL" type stuff, and their ads have also been showing nice tries from the Women's game. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Marauder said:

No, I said the ones who don't turn up could be sat at home because they may be in a position of making the chose between heating or eating, ot may be because of one of the other reason I mentioned as well, or a completely different one, like fallen out of love with rugby league because they don't like what the game has developed into in the last 30 years.

The fairly small number of people who watched the game 30 years ago but don't now are really not the people to be targeting to grow the sport.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Tottenham Hotspur Stadium only holds 62,850 compared to Wembley’s 90,000, it’s a far more suitable size for a Rugby League Final. With the novelty of a new stadium attracting neutral Rugby League fans I think it should be close to if not full.

I bought a couple more tickets last week and was pleasantly surprised at how many sections had very little availability. I think if it's not full, it'll be because there'll be some unsold tickets in the Huddersfield end.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Dave T said:

To be fair for a second to the RFL, we do actually do advertising.

I saw some nonsense on Twitter this week where apparently a club official didn't even know the Challenge Cup was on this weekend. Now, it was shared by the bitter Bulls fan who is ful of his own self importance and has a vendetta against Martyn, and tbh it has to be complete BS. 

There has been plenty of email and social media activity about the semi finals from the RFL, and I don't believe that any digitally engaged existing fan wasn't aware of the games this week (awareness and selling are obviously different things). 

But we do use radio advertising regularly, as well as plenty of emails and social media, but I do think they target existing customers, mainly because they have the best ROI, so people can pay themselves on the back, ig oring the fact these customers were likely to go anyway. 

On the point of advertising, I would like to add I have seen a noticeable push on Sky recently, SL has been getting loads of generic advertising "Home of SL" type stuff, and their ads have also been showing nice tries from the Women's game. 

I think this is where people miss the difference between "advertising" and "marketing", because they aren't the same thing. 

It leads to something of a hubris where we say "we have an incredible product, but we just don't shout about it" when the truth is probably more that "we do shout about it, but the product probably isn't appealing enough to the audiences we'd like to reach". 

I know about the Challenge Cup final - it needs no advertising to me. But do I feel that it's a "must have ticket" and that I'd be absolutely gutted if I missed it? No. And that's the real failure of marketing, not advertising. 

• Like 4

20 hours ago, soulboy said:

In fairness, it's not the BBC's job to promote the CCF or RLWC - they aren't our PR agency. 

Wigan, Huddersfield and the RFL all have media relations teams - it's up to them to make sure that they and the CC Final is regularly in the news cycle. 

• Like 1

Re- posted;

On another thread Harry Stottle has posted that Leigh have 4 games of significance left of the season,  1895 final, Fev,  Bash and GF. 4 left and it's still early May! That's the problem,  not enough meaningful games to bring in crowds. Not wishing to turn this thread into something else,  but if we had 2 down from SL , then suddenly Leeds and Wakefield and Toulouse have many more big games to play to entice the fans. One automatically up from Championship and a four team play off for the other promotion place,  as in Soccer's Championship and suddenly the season goes to the wire for most clubs. Perhaps the age old concept of fans turning up to see a good old game of RL for the sake of it despite the context are drawing to a close.

Attendances towards the end of the season for soccer for teams in play off contention have been very good. 44,000 at Sunderland the other night, another 35,000 plus expected tonight at Sheffield Wednesday. Give fans of RL matches with real meaning and they'll come back. Of course turkeys don't vote for Xmas so I don't expect 2 down from SL any time soon.

•  

4 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

Re- posted;

On another thread Harry Stottle has posted that Leigh have 4 games of significance left of the season,  1895 final, Fev,  Bash and GF. 4 left and it's still early May! That's the problem,  not enough meaningful games to bring in crowds. Not wishing to turn this thread into something else,  but if we had 2 down from SL , then suddenly Leeds and Wakefield and Toulouse have many more big games to play to entice the fans. One automatically up from Championship and a four team play off for the other promotion place,  as in Soccer's Championship and suddenly the season goes to the wire for most clubs. Perhaps the age old concept of fans turning up to see a good old game of RL for the sake of it despite the context are drawing to a close.

Attendances towards the end of the season for soccer for teams in play off contention have been very good. 44,000 at Sunderland the other night, another 35,000 plus expected tonight at Sheffield Wednesday. Give fans of RL matches with real meaning and they'll come back. Of course turkeys don't vote for Xmas so I don't expect 2 down from SL any time soon.

•  

Leigh's lack of meaningful games is a direct result of the massively unbalanced funding distribution that is unique to the Championship.

• Like 4

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

7 minutes ago, HawkMan said:

Re- posted;

•  

you then have 2 teams scrabbling to get good enough squads for the next season, and 2 massively strong sides in the championship for year.. 

I see where you are coming from on the solution but i cannot see 2 up and 2 down doing that to be honest. 

We cannot compare this to 2 previously big and well supported football clubs that are at least 1 and arguably 2 divisions lower than they should be hoping to god they get out of the division to stop the inevitable issues of 2-3 season in somewhere like league 1 that could easily lead to bankruptcy.

On 08/05/2022 at 08:24, Dave T said:

For those who went yesterday, how was the event? I assume for what is a one-day Magic weekend there was a substantial fanzone, entertainment, food and drink options etc? 

This wasn't a normal event, so I assume it wasnt treated normally? 

It was literally 2 sets of fans going in and watching their game leaving and another 2 sets of fans watching theirs and leaving, nothing at all in or around the ground to give any inkling this was supposed to be targeted as an 'event'.

1 pub across the road which was heaving, 1 bar in the stadium which wasn't and massive queues in the cramped concourse which also meant toilet access, exits etc were blocked by them.

After the game it was again a case of leave the ground and go home or to the pub across the road, if you were lucky enough to get one of the lesser spotted shuttle buses you were laughing, we went for a timetabled one which surprise surprise wasn't anywhere to be seen, tried to get taxis back into Leeds and were quoted £10-11 EACH!!!!!!!!, they'd obviously seen an opportunity hadn't they?

loads ended up waiting up to half an hour for a service bus back into Leeds or expensive taxis even when they'd paid for a shuttle service.

It certainly hasn't changed my mind about the place, it's simply awful for this kind of thing, it's a 1960's football stadium with facilities and transport options to match.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, HawkMan said:

Re- posted;

•  

Leigh have plenty of meaningful games, but their dominant position means they unlikely to lose any - a completely different issue.

If two clubs were being promoted, the four games noted would be less meaningful as Leigh would be even more likely to promoted even if they lose to Fev.

• Like 1

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

23 hours ago, Marauder said:

Tier 4?I bet when you go back to when they did play in division 3 North you'll find they got larger crowds

Kent Non League football crowds have gone though the roof this season recently, here are recent crowd figures for Steps 5/6/7 (Way above these teams Kent has the likes of Bromley/Folkestone/Tonbridge/Margate/Welling United/Maidstone United/Ebbsfleet (Gravesend and Northfleet) and a whole host of Step 5/Step 6/Step 7 clubs Whitstable/Faversham/Ramsgate/Sittingbourne etc 

Herne Bay v Ashford Town 1200 Step 5 (Average pre pandemic 450)

Chatham Town v Sheppey United 1800 Step 6 (Average pre pandemic 500)

Sheppey United Home match 1400 Step 6 (Average pre pandemic 250)

Ashford Town Home match Step 5 1400 (Average pre pandemic 400)

Larkfield v New Hythe Step 7 500 (Average pre pandemic 40)

Tunbridge Wells v Rusthall Step 6 800 (Average pre pandemic 300)

Beckenham Town v Camberley Town Step 6 800 (Average pre pandemic 200)

Paul

On 08/05/2022 at 09:41, lingaro said:

21500 when Fev and Leeds played at Elland Road in 1995.  

To be fair 23k attended Leeds v Cas at ER a few years ago.

If two of Leeds, Cas or Wakey were playing the crowd might have been touching 30k and we would be crowing from the roof tops.

• Like 3

On 08/05/2022 at 11:06, Dave T said:

Unfortunately, I fear for the RLWC this year for similar pricing reasons. The way to move to higher pricing is not to just start charging more. But I hope I'm wrong on the world cup. 

Yeah its almost as if they have decided that. To become a premium event you just need to start charging premium prices. I really can't see who is going to be paying £180, £110, £85 etc.. for a game of RL.  I certainly won't. 

I bought tickets to the NFL the biggest league in the world for £60.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Mattrhino said:

Yeah its almost as if they have decided that. To become a premium event you just need to start charging premium prices. I really can't see who is going to be paying £180, £110, £85 etc.. for a game of RL.  I certainly won't. 

I bought tickets to the NFL the biggest league in the world for £60.

Any business is on to a winner when it makes the consumer feel they are getting value for money. 

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion.