The Pacific Wall

Coming to a RLWC near you. How exactly is the northern hemisphere going to repel this barrage?

Ideas welcome. 

• Haha 1

"There has never been a Challenge Cup semifinal of 65,000 either individually or combined" - Damien

The Aussie ref's will blow  the northern teams off the paddock in regard to the play the ball. I wouldn't worry too much in regard to the wall.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, frank said:

The Aussie ref's will blow  the northern teams off the paddock in regard to the play the ball. I wouldn't worry too much in regard to the wall.

It doesn't need the Aussie ref's to do that Frank, I have been watching test match rugby and other internationals involving Gt. Britain/England for over 50 years.

This is not the view of a whinging pom but an observation over all that time, when we have refs from this country officiating in GB/England games they always seem to be wanted to seen as squeaky clean and their decisions reflect that, any 50/50 calls would nearly always be awarded to the opposition, in fact I would go as far to say I would much sooner have a ref from other shores officiating England games than one of the merry whistle blowers from over here.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

It doesn't need the Aussie ref's to do that Frank, I have been watching test match rugby and other internationals involving Gt. Britain/England for over 50 years.

This is not the view of a whinging pom but an observation over all that time, when we have refs from this country officiating in GB/England games they always seem to be wanted to seen as squeaky clean and their decisions reflect that, any 50/50 calls would nearly always be awarded to the opposition, in fact I would go as far to say I would much sooner have a ref from other shores officiating England games than one of the merry whistle blowers from over here.

It's not really on the subject of the thread title but there is nothing that says small time or embarrasses me more about our sport than a test match being refereed by someone from one of the competing nations. 

• Like 5

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Ireland probably had the best chance of any of the tier 2 European nations to make it through to the Quarters so in that sense sorting a match mid-season would've been helpful - leading into the WC without playing since 2019 doesn't bode too well for team cohesion.

France need to play to their strengths and peak at the right time, they appear to be taking their preparation quite seriously between organising the match against Wales and already holding a couple of high performance meetups.

Complacency and team selection are probably the most important factors for England, falling to Samoa in the opener would be a disastrous blow to their hopes of making the Final IMO so that game will be of the utmost importance. 

Wales are really in the group of death, the Cook Islands are very underrated at this stage I feel and Tonga/PNG are established as quality sides, good that they have a match to begin building a squad mid-season but I think they will do it tough unfortunately.

Scotland should probably have a better side than 2017 and though they managed a game against Jamaica last year it would've been nice to see them turnout again mid-season this year, are a bit unlucky that Fijis depth has improved a lot in the last couple of years while Italy could field an okay side with the right committals. Historically prone to sneaking a good result against a complacent side though so I won't write them off.

Italy and Lebanon are in-practice closer to Southern Hemisphere sides than Northern, with their performance resting almost entirely on who decides to make the trip.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I m not going to underestimate us. We are decent proposition at home and have plenty of talent to draw on; but I am a bit worried about Wane’s selection policy. Pick the right team and we beat Samoa, PNG and Tonga at home to get to the Final. 

But we’ll be the only Northern Hemisphere side in the QFs.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

I m not going to underestimate us. We are decent proposition at home and have plenty of talent to draw on; but I am a bit worried about Wane’s selection policy. Pick the right team and we beat Samoa, PNG and Tonga at home to get to the Final. 

But we’ll be the only Northern Hemisphere side in the QFs.

From Group C it’ll be Ireland or Lebanon, I have no idea how strong the Lebanon team will be but surely Ireland will have a reasonable chance against them. I agree Wane as coach and his selections are a concern for me. 

1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

It's not really on the subject of the thread title but there is nothing that says small time or embarrasses me more about our sport than a test match being refereed by someone from one of the competing nations. 

Cricket does it now. No big deal. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

From Group C it’ll be Ireland or Lebanon, I have no idea how strong the Lebanon team will be but surely Ireland will have a reasonable chance against them. I agree Wane as coach and his selections are a concern for me. 

Ireland should be able to beat Lebanon if they put a full strength team out, including people like Luke Keary.

6 minutes ago, ghost crayfish said:

Cricket does it now. No big deal. 

The ICC has endorsed the proposal of its cricket committee that test umpires and match referees return to being neutral post travel restrictions due to the pandemic.

• Like 3

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

45 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

Pretty much what I reckon . I’ve tipped us on home soil to get to the final . The NRL is a far superior completion with amazing players and 2 of the greatest sides , but it’s 17 on 17 and we can get 17 out there on home soil in weather and conditions we’re used to to aim up . Fitness is a factor to as we can’t absorb injuries with equal replacements like the sides there can 

8 hours ago, RL Sonja said:

Coming to a RLWC near you. How exactly is the northern hemisphere going to repel this barrage?

Ideas welcome. 

Didn’t realise the Pacific Island nations bringing big units to a RL World Cup is a new phenomenon.

As I posted on another thread, having size is just one part of the equation. 

When you look at the Dally M leaderboard though Round 8 (so the most influential players in the competition) almost all of them are spine/creative players so halves or full backs and almost all of them are Aussies.

You need game management and creativity as well as size.

3 hours ago, UTK said:

Ireland probably had the best chance of any of the tier 2 European nations to make it through to the Quarters so in that sense sorting a match mid-season would've been helpful - leading into the WC without playing since 2019 doesn't bode too well for team cohesion.

France need to play to their strengths and peak at the right time, they appear to be taking their preparation quite seriously between organising the match against Wales and already holding a couple of high performance meetups.

Complacency and team selection are probably the most important factors for England, falling to Samoa in the opener would be a disastrous blow to their hopes of making the Final IMO so that game will be of the utmost importance. 

Wales are really in the group of death, the Cook Islands are very underrated at this stage I feel and Tonga/PNG are established as quality sides, good that they have a match to begin building a squad mid-season but I think they will do it tough unfortunately.

Scotland should probably have a better side than 2017 and though they managed a game against Jamaica last year it would've been nice to see them turnout again mid-season this year, are a bit unlucky that Fijis depth has improved a lot in the last couple of years while Italy could field an okay side with the right committals. Historically prone to sneaking a good result against a complacent side though so I won't write them off.

Italy and Lebanon are in-practice closer to Southern Hemisphere sides than Northern, with their performance resting almost entirely on who decides to make the trip.

Ireland still have no idea who’s going to be playing for them, and that may also be the case with Scotland, Italy, Lebanon and certainly some of the pacific islands - I can’t imagine that in any other sport. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Ireland still have no idea who’s going to be playing for them, and that may also be the case with Scotland, Italy, Lebanon and certainly some of the pacific islands - I can’t imagine that in any other sport. 

Given the new nation-switching rules the Island sides will be overwhelmingly locked in following the mid-season tests, Lebanon/Italy etc won't til just before the WC I'd imagine. 

I'm assuming more nations will organise warm-up games but if they don't we could have 6 nations playing 0 matches in the 12 months prior to the cup which isn't good enough.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

When you look at the Dally M leaderboard though Round 8 (so the most influential players in the competition) almost all of them are spine/creative players so halves or full backs and almost all of them are Aussies.

Which Aus has in abundance, and the forwards they have to select from are not to shabby either.

Have Aus announced a train on squad yet, or does that come after the origin series?

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

Which Aus has in abundance, and the forwards they have to select from are not to shabby either.

Have Aus announced a train on squad yet, or does that come after the origin series?

They will wait for Tonga to announce their squad and take whoever is left.

• Haha 3

11 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Sound like me reffing my kids team 20 years ago , to appear unbiased I was probably biased against , which is why I was accused of being an anchor 😉 by my own players and parents including the wife 

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Dunbar said:

I mean wall as in a force. The northern hemisphere needs to aim up or they will be creamed. 

"There has never been a Challenge Cup semifinal of 65,000 either individually or combined" - Damien

14 hours ago, Davo5 said:

Didn’t realise the Pacific Island nations bringing big units to a RL World Cup is a new phenomenon.

I meant wall as in a force; not "big units". I'm looking forward to the aftermath here. 

Don’t forget the term Pacific encompasses Australia and New Zealand as well as the burgeoning talents of Samoa, Tonga, PNG and Fiji (even the Cook Islands). Hard to see the winner not coming from this batch. 

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, UTK said:

Thanks. Hard to disagree with much of that. England are going to have to play better than the sum of their parts and Wane doesn’t breed much confidence in this regard.