The Pacific Wall

3 hours ago, RL Sonja said:

Don’t forget the term Pacific encompasses Australia and New Zealand as well as the burgeoning talents of Samoa, Tonga, PNG and Fiji (even the Cook Islands). Hard to see the winner not coming from this batch. 

EB2F54D6-65F0-4243-A7B4-6D2B4D8366E9.jpeg

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, RL Sonja said:

I mean wall as in a force. The northern hemisphere needs to aim up or they will be creamed. 

To be honest, rather than working out how to repel them, I'm still not 100% that they will come.

Gus Gould may get an ouchie and call the whole thing off.

• Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

To be honest, rather than working out how to repel them, I'm still not 100% that they will come.

Gus Gould may get an ouchie and call the whole thing off.

Well the NRL announced today a `fly-on-the -wall `type documentary following the Kangaroos ( you know the type, changing-room access etc. following a few players personal journey, Cleary and Teddy mentioned in particular ) leading up to and throughout the WC and hopefully through to the Final.

It`ll be a funny old documentary if they don`t leave home but jokes aside a great idea and wouldn`t be a bad idea for you blokes either. 

I`m pleased also because it`s the sort of promotion when shown on telly over here that will help our chances of hosting a successful WC when it`s our turn. Aussies need to see this stuff because it will give the whole thing cred.

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

Well the NRL announced today a `fly-on-the -wall `type documentary following the Kangaroos ( you know the type, changing-room access etc. following a few players personal journey, Cleary and Teddy mentioned in particular ) leading up to and throughout the WC and hopefully through to the Final.

It`ll be a funny old documentary if they don`t leave home but jokes aside a great idea and wouldn`t be a bad idea for you blokes either. 

I`m pleased also because it`s the sort of promotion when shown on telly over here that will help our chances of hosting a successful WC when it`s our turn. Aussies need to see this stuff because it will give the whole thing cred.

That would be really god to see. I'd imagine the NRL would do something like this really well.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Damien said:

That would be really god to see. I'd imagine the NRL would do something like this really well.

An interesting Freudian slip there Damien, but yes it should be god, I mean good. It`s going to be done by Karl Stefanovic a very high profile TV personality. He wanted to do one on Origin but it was blocked by Wayne Bennett of all people, I think Billy might be more accommodating.

• Haha 1

Just now, The Rocket said:

Thanks, haven`t seen it, does it have a happy ending ?

That's the adult version.

• Haha 3

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Just now, The Rocket said:

An interesting Freudian slip there Damien, but yes it should be god, I mean good. It`s going to be done by Karl Stefanovic a very high profile TV personality. He wanted to do one on Origin but it was blocked by Wayne Bennett of all people, I think Billy might be more accommodating.

Oops.

I love watching sports documentaries and behind the scenes stuff, its something that other sports organisations like the NFL do really well. I can easily sit there and watch random NFL shows about some team or coach from the 1970s who I hadn't even heard of previously because they are so well made and engrossing.

They also offer the potential to attract a whole new audience who may not necessarily be interested in RL, all the better if you can get them on Netflix or something like that.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Damien said:

Oops.

I love watching sports documentaries and behind the scenes stuff, its something that other sports organisations like the NFL do really well. I can easily sit there and watch random NFL shows about some team or coach from the 1970s who I hadn't even heard of previously because they are so well made and engrossing.

They also offer the potential to attract a whole new audience who may not necessarily be interested in RL, all the better if you can get them on Netflix or something like that.

I know what you mean, I don`t follow NFL but I reckon I know more about Jimmy Johnson and Jerry Jones than I really should thanks to those NFL documentaries.

I don`t know if it would work but I`d like to see more slow-motion shots of those long torpedo cut-out passes that we have in League the same way they so effectively shoot those lingering shots of the NFL ball spiralling through the air. Very effective I think.

• Like 2

I was rather shocked to see Bennett with the foul language in the dressing-room with his GB players in that 'Once Were Lions' doc. Somehow I didn't think he'd be one to go down that route, haha.

1 hour ago, Damien said:

Oops.

I've linked to this several times as it's an example of the sort of thing that (rightly) trends well on the socials. You don't need to do it for every game but you could easily imagine an equivalent around a last minute score/waiting for the video ref/an agonising conversion etc.

https://www.icc-cricket.com/video/2551807

EDIT: Wrong video above. Bear with, I'll find the right one.

EDIT EDIT: Here we are:

Edited by gingerjon
  • Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

5 hours ago, The Rocket said:

Thanks, haven`t seen it, does it have a happy ending ?

I doubt it.  That costs extra (so I am led to understand) and the RFL aren't flush!

• Haha 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

5 hours ago, The Rocket said:

I know what you mean, I don`t follow NFL but I reckon I know more about Jimmy Johnson and Jerry Jones than I really should thanks to those NFL documentaries.

I don`t know if it would work but I`d like to see more slow-motion shots of those long torpedo cut-out passes that we have in League the same way they so effectively shoot those lingering shots of the NFL ball spiralling through the air. Very effective I think.

NFL films founded by Ed Sabol in the 60s has played a huge part in the growth of the NFL,it continues to produce high quality film & documentaries for the sport which often attracts viewers that probably don’t watch that much live coverage of the NFL.

Ive been a fan of the NFL since the early 80s but I did stop watching for a good few years but the excellent America’s Game films which chartered the year of successful Super Bowl winning teams rekindled my interest in the sport that I now watch regularly.

Something similar to these films charting Grand Final winning teams using some players/coaches involved would be a great watch.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

I see it has come as a revelation to Damien and gingerjon that the Pacific includes Australia and NZ. Those of us at the Magic Round this weekend will be in no doubt as teams from both countries do battle.

And I also see there are really no ideas how to combat the southern RLWC challenge after a few days of dwelling on it. 

There must be a few sections of the English set-up on here after all. 

• Haha 1

"There has never been a Challenge Cup semifinal of 65,000 either individually or combined" - Damien

I love this from Meninga:

"I'll never go and pursue players. You have got to be passionate about the green and gold. You shouldn't have to be convinced to play for a footy team.

"That's what happens at club footy, not at representative level."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 06/05/2022 at 03:15, RL Sonja said:

Don’t forget the term Pacific encompasses Australia and New Zealand as well as the burgeoning talents of Samoa, Tonga, PNG and Fiji (even the Cook Islands). Hard to see the winner not coming from this batch. 

As the only other potential winner is England really then yes, obviously, just by the numbers its more likely to see the winner coming from a group of 6 (or even 7) than it is from the lone outlier... 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, RL Sonja said:

People still argued against it. 😅 It should be England’s for the winning being at home. We’ll see. 

Did they though? I dont see anyone saying England are going to win it.. most were talking about Australia which you then brought into your "Pacific Wall" (which most people would assume for the purposes of RL does not include Aus and NZ as they are distinct from the islands) so they were with you in that the winner will not be England!

• Like 1

If you live here, which I do presently, it is pretty obvious Australia and New Zealand are part of the Pacific. Hence why SI is in the news. Apologies for any cross hemisphere confusion. 

• Haha 1

"There has never been a Challenge Cup semifinal of 65,000 either individually or combined" - Damien

3 minutes ago, RP London said:

Did they though? I dont see anyone saying England are going to win it.. most were talking about Australia which you then brought into your "Pacific Wall" (which most people would assume for the purposes of RL does not include Aus and NZ as they are distinct from the islands) so they were with you in that the winner will not be England!

I was knocked down by the elegantly argued defences of the English position.