The Pacific Wall

1 minute ago, RL Sonja said:

I was knocked down by the elegantly argued defences of the English position. 

What do you mean there?

no one is saying England will win, most people are quite realistic in our chances, people were discussing whether the pacific teams will be as strong as you were making out so you changed who you meant and brought the 2 strongest nations in the world into the mix making the argument quite different..

and now you seem to be making no sense whatsoever.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I just answered your second point. Memo to the northern hemisphere - the Pacific includes the dominant two political countries in it.

You missed the irony of the rest.  

"There has never been a Challenge Cup semifinal of 65,000 either individually or combined" - Damien

1 minute ago, RL Sonja said:

I just answered your second point. Memo to the northern hemisphere - the Pacific includes the dominant two political countries in it.

I think you need a lie down.

12 minutes ago, RL Sonja said:

I think the US is the dominant political country in the Pacific. What are their chances of winning?

• Haha 1

People called Romans they go the house

51 minutes ago, RL Sonja said:

England hasn't got a chance with that attitude. 

As none of us on this forum are going to be playing I dont think our "attitude" or belief in the team is going to make the blindest bit of a difference to our chances... 

They will still get our full on support on the terraces.. just on a forum where there is discussion, we are a little more realistic.

34 minutes ago, RL Sonja said:

Belief means atmosphere. It will all be needed. 

As I said.. there will be no lack of atmosphere or belief in the grounds.. but that is very different to a discussion on a message board about the realistic merits and possibilities of us winning. That is evident in the UK every weekend across the country in almost every sport. Down the pub we'll bemoan the lack of quality in the teams we support, come the weekend and watching and the atmosphere in UK sporting stadiums is unrivalled. 

It really doesn't take a genius to understand that.

On 05/05/2022 at 09:37, GeordieSaint said:

I m not going to underestimate us. We are decent proposition at home and have plenty of talent to draw on; but I am a bit worried about Wane’s selection policy. Pick the right team and we beat Samoa, PNG and Tonga at home to get to the Final. 

But we’ll be the only Northern Hemisphere side in the QFs.

Yeah, I think people underestimate the power of home advantage. Bar Australia there are question marks about how well the rest will travel. We have seen how poor Samoa have been in the past and the likes of PNG are a different team without home advantage. Even NZ can be very much up and down. So much can happen when a team travels and it doesn't take much for it all to go pear shaped.

2 hours ago, Damien said:

Yeah, I think people underestimate the power of home advantage. Bar Australia there are question marks about how well the rest will travel. We have seen how poor Samoa have been in the past and the likes of PNG are a different team without home advantage. Even NZ can be very much up and down. So much can happen when a team travels and it doesn't take much for it all to go pear shaped.

An optimist!

"There has never been a Challenge Cup semifinal of 65,000 either individually or combined" - Damien