Match thread: 1895 Cup Final. Featherstone Rovers v Leigh. Saturday 28th May 2022.

I saw Leigh game. You've got to give credit to Sheffield. No team is going to lie down and that will go for Dewsbury too on Sunday. Leigh are a very good side and it's hard to maintain top form in every game Batley will be wanting to do themselves a favour come Monday night too just like they did with us.

• Like 1

Yes I think we can all agree they are a good side BUT last time we played them Leilua went off after 8 minutes we played Hardcastle a centre in the second row and we were without Kheirallah Gale Jacks Kopczak Sene-Lefao and we still have to add Hepi and Ford so

BRING IT ON :kolobok_clapping:

18 minutes ago, J Phil Loxton said:

I saw Leigh game. You've got to give credit to Sheffield. No team is going to lie down and that will go for Dewsbury too on Sunday. Leigh are a very good side and it's hard to maintain top form in every game Batley will be wanting to do themselves a favour come Monday night too just like they did with us.

I agree that Sheffield had a real dig and they were unlucky with injuries too.

I do think it's hard to know what you are going to be up against from week to week in this division though especially as the season goes on and teams are having to put out players who might not be 100% fit. For instance Batley were a very different proposition in the league just a week after we beat them heavily in the Cup. Workington had a right dig at us in the league (admittedly in a mudbath) yet have looked very weak on other occasions. Widnes won their first four games, including at Halifax, put 70 past Workington, yet were dreadful at our place. The form book fluctuates massively at this level.

Batley on Monday might will be interesting. I'd expect a response from Leigh after their recent poor effort, but Batley should be well up for it.

Anyway I've wandered a bit off topic. Wonder who will sell more 1895 tickets, us or Leigh? My money's on us.

18 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Anyway I've wandered a bit off topic. Wonder who will sell more 1895 tickets, us or Leigh? My money's on us.

WHAT more than the best supported team in the  league 🤣

I wonder what's our allocation  compared to the super greed CC 

3 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

I agree that Sheffield had a real dig and they were unlucky with injuries too.

I do think it's hard to know what you are going to be up against from week to week in this division though especially as the season goes on and teams are having to put out players who might not be 100% fit. For instance Batley were a very different proposition in the league just a week after we beat them heavily in the Cup. Workington had a right dig at us in the league (admittedly in a mudbath) yet have looked very weak on other occasions. Widnes won their first four games, including at Halifax, put 70 past Workington, yet were dreadful at our place. The form book fluctuates massively at this level.

Batley on Monday might will be interesting. I'd expect a response from Leigh after their recent poor effort, but Batley should be well up for it.

I was expecting you asking "Wonder who will sell more tickets, us or Huddersfield..." 😉

• Haha 1

I'm sure I'll think of something funny to say soon.

On 11/05/2022 at 10:04, POR said:

WHAT more than the best supported team in the  league 🤣

I wonder what's our allocation  compared to the super greed CC 

On the stats up to now POR I thought the Bulls were the best supported club in the Championship with fev 3rd.

3 minutes ago, Dog forever said:

On the stats up to now POR I thought the Bulls were the best supported club in the Championship with fev 3rd.

I was talking about the alleged support they take to away games D 

Looks like Leigh are back on the horse. and that we will have to play with a lot more purpose at Spurs ,and defend better if we are to retain the cup No doubt Mac will have had a few choice words to say after Dewsbury, at training ,regarding these lapses in defence. scoring  points is OK but stopping the opposition from scoring points wins the game. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lingaro said:

Can't see how Bulls are top, least I've ever seen there for our game. 

Apparently L it's the 5k they had against fax puts them top funny thing 19 k been to odslum, 16k to LSV and 21k to the Millennium Stadium, 

Full list 

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/in-numbers-championship-teams-ranked-by-average-attendance-this-season-so-far/https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/in-numbers-championship-teams-ranked-by-average-attendance-this-season-so-far/

Unless there is a marked improvement in defence rovers will certainly lose this game and probably some other games so the ball is in rovers court step up with the poor defence or remain in the championship. Just hoping they do somehow manage to win.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, haskey said:

Looks like Leigh are back on the horse. and that we will have to play with a lot more purpose at Spurs ,and defend better if we are to retain the cup No doubt Mac will have had a few choice words to say after Dewsbury, at training ,regarding these lapses in defence. scoring  points is OK but stopping the opposition from scoring points wins the game. 

Fev v Dewsbury and Batley points conceded 44   Leigh v Dewsbury and Batley 0

1 hour ago, sentoffagain2 said:

Fev v Dewsbury and Batley points conceded 44   Leigh v Dewsbury and Batley 0

Sorry S but comparing results is pointless results are all about how the losing side played  last night Dogs looked like they were playing with a bar of soap  against us everything stuck  put it this way if they had played like that against us we would have wiped the floor with them too

1 minute ago, POR said:

Sorry S but comparing results is pointless results are all about how the losing side played  last night Dogs looked like they were playing with a bar of soap  against us everything stuck  put it this way if they had played like that against us we would have wiped the floor with them too

They did play like that against us in the Cup and we scored even more points against them than Leigh did. I agree 100% that collateral form is worth very little in rugby league.

1 hour ago, eltel said:

Unless there is a marked improvement in defence rovers will certainly lose this game and probably some other games so the ball is in rovers court step up with the poor defence or remain in the championship. Just hoping they do somehow manage to win.

I think it all depends on how much we think Fev have to come when we are faced with a proper test in a really big and meaningful game. We were more than a match for Leigh in February and I don't think that was just down to the cconditions. It's whether or not we can regain that intensity again when it's needed that is the key (and rememebr Leigh have looked lacklustre in some games too).

14 minutes ago, POR said:

Defence wins matches ours on Sunday was poor.Although the try from short kick near the line is almost impossible to defend without playing a sweeper across the goal line.

9 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

I think it all depends on how much we think Fev have to come when we are faced with a proper test in a really big and meaningful game. We were more than a match for Leigh in February and I don't think that was just down to the cconditions. It's whether or not we can regain that intensity again when it's needed that is the key (and rememebr Leigh have looked lacklustre in some games too).

Only two games matter for us to be at our best and that's the play offs .Would like us to finish top if that would give us a home tie.Mac has had plenty of experience getting teams ready for the big games and i trust him to get it right.How many of our players do you think Leigh would want from us to make their team better?I think about 5 or 6 but it's results on the field on the day that will count.One things for sure if Ford settles in i wouldn't swap them half backs positions that are vital.