Match thread: 1895 Cup Final. Featherstone Rovers v Leigh. Saturday 28th May 2022.

1 hour ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

bringing back, say, Tom Holmes to be the 21st name in the squad instead of Gaz Gale. 

But it would have been much more fun if we had named another  potential number nine🤣

Give it some 83 spirit today and its in the bag but leigh are big bu.......rs so defence is vital we can match them in attack but can we defend today. Just hoping it is not a case of the ref helping one side more than the other wait did I here 6 again  ugh.... utr

Hate to say this but were 2nd best today leigh look bigger  faster and fitter than us and they will on ly get better as the season goes on you can see what full time training does for a team i'm sure big mac will see whats needed and get what he needs for the end of season run in 

• Like 4

Well that will be Big Mac in the transfer market for 5 players next week🤔

Out gunned in every department today 🤔

Well done Leigh on winning👏👏

And well done featherstone who have contributed to a great advert for championship rugby league👏👏

• Like 5

1 minute ago, coolie said:

Well that will be Big Mac in the transfer market for 5 players next week🤔

Out gunned in every department today 🤔

Well done Leigh on winning👏👏

And well done featherstone who have contributed to a great advert for championship rugby league👏👏

Best team won no dout about it.

• Like 2

Leigh far superior in every department today. A major worry for me would be Luke Briscoe, who always struggles with the high ball and just makes too many mistakes. Ferres also a penalty machine. One glimmer of hope is the likely improvement once we get Ford in the half's.

2 minutes ago, Monkeymagic22 said:

This will improve once we have Ford starting.

Do you really think so ?? Because i dont if you'd watched over the last couple of seasons i dont think he's the answer i'm sure big mac will have seen enough of leigh and us today to know whats  needed to compete he even said in is last interview that you need to be full time to play at the pace and impact of rugby at the top level

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Phil Briscoe said:

Ye best team won by a mile today. They could have scored more. Their pack completely smashed ours. Too big, strong and quick. It reminded me a bit of when we play the lower teams and our forwards make yards at will. 

It's hard to say but we will not get to SL with the team we'v got we are a top championship team but SL it up another level yes we have lost one game but you can see the difference in players leigh have to ours joey needs a kick up the ar#e or told to take a big pay cut because he's not worth what he's being payed cos he must be on a good crack

Apart from Kheirellah struggling to think of anyone who stood out

But he cant be excused - his descision at the end to knock the ball out appears to be a nightmare descision as got injured in that play and helped from the field

Just a poor performance - our numerous 34/35/36 year olds in the forward pack looked its age today against that head down, younger more mobile leigh pack, which allowed Ipape to run the game

Our ability in the backs to not take a tackle  and try and offload it resulting in numerous knock ons early in the tackle count did nkt help us build any pressure

That said i dont think we got the 50/50s - i dont mean the ref descisions,  i mean the richochets, the bounce of the ball, the loose balls in midfield, everything seemed to fall leighs way

It was not a performance that a Brian Mac team is famous for, but however poor we was we were still in the game with 10 mins to go & there are things that can be fixed up 

• Like 1

Agreed. It’s easy to go doom and gloom after one defeat but there was a pattern to the game today that a change in game plan won’t fix. Bigger, stronger forwards dominating the ruck and playing the ball much quicker. JSL got smashed about today. Bussey and Kopczak had very little impact going forward. 

not surprised fev need some young big forwards we are carrying too many oldies which will outdo most championship teams but taking anything like this team into super league will lead to a fair few trouncings. Just hope we get some new better forwards however I do feel if conner jones had played we would have done a lot better.

• Like 2

Just now, Monkeymagic22 said:

A positive is that we know what we need to do now. As opposed to finding out in the playoffs.

B Mac said before game he wanted Leigh to have strongest possible side out then we know where we're at - we now know!

• Like 1

I wasn't remotely surprised at today's performance or result. Leigh are a class above and could never understand some opinions that we were their equals. Fev are a very good championship side as proven but Leigh are much more superior. We rarely troubled their try line and did well to contain the score against us. Some of our talented players went missing today because the opposition were quicker and more talented. We've dished out some beatings and so when we get beaten you've got to take it on the nose. Well done Leigh best team by far. Up the Rovers and we go again.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, J Phil Loxton said:

I wasn't remotely surprised at today's performance or result. Leigh are a class above and could never understand some opinions that we were their equals. Fev are a very good championship side as proven but Leigh are much more superior. We rarely troubled their try line and did well to contain the score against us. Some of our talented players went missing today because the opposition were quicker and more talented. We've dished out some beatings and so when we get beaten you've got to take it on the nose. Well done Leigh best team by far. Up the Rovers and we go again.

On the chin! But well summed up.

Yeah we were second best today. They made steady metres up the middle all game, and although we defended really well at times near our line, we just had to do too much defending and from early in the second half our energy levels were down.

I actually thought that we looked quite dangerous when we threw the ball around, we scored two excellent tries and from memory we actually made more clean breaks than Leigh did.

But they won the territorial battle hands down and had far more good ball than we did, and they wore us down. Ipape was by some way the man of the match, we just didn't have enough energy to cope with him.

• Like 1