Match thread: 1895 Cup Final. Featherstone Rovers v Leigh. Saturday 28th May 2022.

Ive said it before that the Overseas quota for the Championship==== STINKS. When SL can only have a limited number As you say they will still need to recruit . I dont know how long these Aussies have signed for  but even so some will have to go to be under the quota.

I've seen posts on social media criticising loads of individual players, but surely the difference between the two teams yesterday came down to overall line speed? They were consistently five or six yards beyond the play-the-ball when making first contact with our defenders, and given that sort of head of steam, they ended up making 10m+ with regularity, and over 50m per set, repeatedly in the second half.

By contrast we were frequently only a yard or two over the gain line when first contact was made, and thus easier to stop in our tracks.

When you think about it, there weren't that many of their players who were outstanding individually apart obviously from Ipape who was superb (Reynolds and Asiata were pretty good too). McDonald made some good tackles but didn't have much impact in attack, Ferguson knocked on with his first touch and apart from his try which was straightforward enough didn't really stand out, Mellor was pretty quiet, Sidlow had a very moderate game. But nobody on the Leigh side is bagging them, because they won.

It's hard to say how much being full-time vs part-time is making the difference, but the yardage numbers were fairly even in the 1st half yet Leigh ran away with them in the 2nd half.

We were clearly second best to them as a team yesterday, and for me it's that line speed that's the key to being able to challenge them.

Edited by The Phantom Horseman
  • Like 6

56 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

This is just clueless.

1) The stuff about "Lam's ideology" is absolute garbage. They have a near-bottomless pit of money and are throwing it at whoever they can. They haven't signed Blake Ferguson because he "fits with Lam's ideology" - he spent several weeks in prison because of cocaine possession charges earlier this year, and was regarded as untouchable by NRL clubs because of his character. They've signed him because he's still a massively talented player.

2) Kheirallah was arguably the best players on the field on either team yesterday apart from Ipape, and although most of us thought Pickersgill had gone well for us, you'd be hard pressed to argue that Kheirallah isn't a much better player.

There's no difference between Ferguson replacing Keanan Brand, who has been very good all year, and Kheirallah replacing Pickersgill, except Leigh won yesterday. That's it. Leigh have replaced Nisbet/Dixon with Inu, they've replaced Jacob Jones with Kai O'Donnell, because they're better players. By Coolie logic that should have "only created division within the team" but it doesn't work like that.

And btw your comments about "Leigh are building a team", that may be so but 10 of their 17 yesterday are overseas players with another two or three in their squad so they'll face just as much of a rebuild if they get to SL as Fev would.

Just say

"thank you" 

For taking your mind away from yesterday's disasterous result🤔

Therapy costs a fortune these days 

😉😉😉😉😉😉😉😉💋💋

In the second half the ref kept blowing up for us being offside.But on the day Leigh were 10-12 points better.Thought we kept their centres quiet.Bussey may pick up a few matches.Although it was accidental his arm was in a bad position round the neck area.We will know more about players determination and character after our game at Leigh.Provided they win the next two.

2nd half

Wildie penalty for not square. He was in the correct position

Off side decision after scrum push. The ball had not even been played. 

Briscoe taken out by Inu in the air. No attempt to get the ball. Just fouled Briscoe, ignored the a six again while still driving for the line on last tackle. Led to a try. 

Jessie knocked on but he didn't. Took the ball cleanly. 

Leigh knock on hall in touch no advantage Leigh get the ball back. 

10 minutes ago, lingaro said:

2nd half

Wildie penalty for not square. He was in the correct position

Off side decision after scrum push. The ball had not even been played. 

Briscoe taken out by Inu in the air. No attempt to get the ball. Just fouled Briscoe, ignored the a six again while still driving for the line on last tackle. Led to a try. 

Jessie knocked on but he didn't. Took the ball cleanly. 

Leigh knock on hall in touch no advantage Leigh get the ball back. 

I think a couple of these might have gone our way on another day but we're kidding ourselves if we think the ref was the difference between the two teams.

BTW the offside decision after the scrum push was the touch judge's decision (I think the ref didn't hear him at first) and related to the scrum not the play-the-ball, hence the signal of a differential penalty. I think the player penalised was Morgan Smith.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

I've seen posts on social media criticising loads of individual players, but surely the difference between the two teams yesterday came down to overall line speed? They were consistently five or six yards beyond the play-the-ball when making first contact with our defenders, and gievn that sort of head of steam, they ended up making 10m+ with regularity, and over 50m per set, repeatedly in the second half.

By contrast we were frequently only a yard or two over the gain line when first contact was made, and thus easier to stop in our tracks.

When you think about it, there weren't that many of their players who were outstanding individually apart obviously from Ipape who was superb (Reynolds and Asiata were pretty good too). McDonald made some good tackles but didn't have much impact in attack, Ferguson knocked on with his first touch and apart from his try which was straightforward enough didn't really stand out, Mellor was pretty quiet, Sidlow had a very moderate game. But nobody on the Leigh side is bagging them, because they won.

It's hard to say how much being full-time vs part-time is making the difference, but the yardage numbers were fairly even in the 1st half yet Leigh ran away with them in the 2nd half.

We were clearly second best to them as a team yesterday, and for me it's that line speed that's the key to being able to challenge them.

TPH this is a well thoughout response. I'll just add when struggling to defend under such pressure penalties are easily given away as we saw yesterday. When Ford came on we did see some gaps out wide, which for whatever reason players chose to take the wrong option, instead of retaining possession as we had enough time to get back into the game. But sometimes you've got to put your hand up and admit you were beaten by a better team. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, coolie said:

You've already had a massive turn around of players🤔

And if you get into SL you'll need another turn around of players 🤔 

Featherstone are doing it wrong 

Leigh are building a team

Featherstone are trying to buy one

One of your stand out players took me 60 minutes to realise he was on the field, Davis week in week out runs his heart out every game.. Not yesterday along with a few more, Ferris is done, a lot of featherstone players hid in the shadows yesterday🤔

Maybe they realise "do we want super league?" 

Because a lot of them on yesterday's show will be out of a job and moved on. 

It's not the end of the world losing 1 game.. Just a lesson of where you need to be and in the big picture might do you the world of good 

We shall see 🤔

#bluewall.. Unfortunately made of tissue paper yesterday 🤔

You mention Davis, playing wide is his position but yesterday when he came on he was acting half-back which negated his aggression both with the ball and defensively. Lad got caught out a few times as Leigh targeted him in an offside position getting back into line. Some of your other comments are just ridiculous. No player hid in the shadows. I think with Leighs dominance in both attack and defence, some players were just running on empty which of course led to penalties and at times playing panic rugby. As for changing the team if we get in SL, of course some players will move on and new ones will have to be found with the skill-set to play at SL level, irrespective of where in the world they play Rugby League.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Can only think of one person on this thread who needs something to distract himself from a string of disastrous results...

And another coming on tuesday

Keep smiling mate😀😀

It's only a game ❤️

24 minutes ago, Monkeymagic22 said:

Two best teams so far, and with the most money to improve. Is that incorrect?.

Correct. So you really think that money is going to buy you the golden ticket to sl. If I were a fev fan after yesterday I would be deeply concerned after the way leigh outplayed fev in every department.  Nothing has been won so far this season ( barring Leighs 1895 Cup triumph) , even poor old batley took  a point off fev with our measley  threepence apenny squad.  There are teams in this division that can turn fev over come the business end of the season.  Remember this is where you first heard it . No team is invincible......

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Dog forever said:

Correct. So you really think that money is going to buy you the golden ticket to sl. If I were a fev fan after yesterday I would be deeply concerned after the way leigh outplayed fev in every department.  Nothing has been won so far this season ( barring Leighs 1895 Cup triumph) , even poor old batley took  a point off fev with our measley  threepence apenny squad.  There are teams in this division that can turn fev over come the business end of the season.  Remember this is where you first heard it . No team is invincible......

Why should we be deeply concerned as Fev fans? Yes we lost yesterday but have been having another fantastic season, and we're unbeaten in the league.

If fans of a team with a record like that are meant to be "deeply concerned", how are fans of teams struggling further down the table meant to feel?

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Dog forever said:

Not too concerned to be honest mate. No disrespect to the other teams, but think that we will be ok. 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Why should we be deeply concerned as Fev fans? Yes we lost yesterday but have been having another fantastic season, and we're unbeaten in the league.

If fans of a team with a record like that are meant to be "deeply concerned", how are fans of teams struggling further down the table meant to feel?

You need to read the post by monkey to understand my post. If you can't grasp what I'm saying I will try to make it a tad simpler. 

Reight.... its a new week.

I never really put a lot of kudos into the sundecks cup .... yes I know a lot who like the day out etc etc, but I genuinely believe the two competition points in two weeks is a much more important and valuable prize. 

Mac will look and learn from the game.... he always does.... 

He isn't sitting there whinging about the ref. He's planning to address what needs addressing. 

We go again.

UTR.

• Like 7

18 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

I never really put a lot of kudos into the sundecks cup .... yes I know a lot who like the day out etc etc, but I genuinely believe the two competition points in two weeks is a much more important and valuable prize. 

He isn't sitting there whinging about the ref. He's planning to address what needs addressing. 

We go again.

UTR.

True Robin but you don't need to be brian mac to see whats needed a younger bigger fitter pack who can bully the opp and make good yardage and set a good platform for the backs 

38 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

We go again.

UTR.

My gut feeling is that 2 weeks might be too soon to turn the form around. Their line speed was way better than ours. They'll be determined to rub our noses in it at their place and I reckon we'll be doing well if we are competitive.

Plenty of water to go under the bridge before October though, assuming we reach the final.
Mac's said all along that reaching the final and then winning it is all that matters, and that he actually wants to lose some games along the way. I guess that's been his modus operandi all his coaching career so we have to stick with that.

Anyway, tough times for the players as they have a quick turnaround on an artificial surface against a team that had the weekend off, and then another televised game against Bradford four days later.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Dog forever said:

Didn't Fev beat Leigh in every department at Post Office Road. Sorry I forgot it was raining. Didn't Fev post 50 odd points at Batley the week before the drawn game? Goes to show every match is different. It's not written in stone who will play in the million pound game. It's just media talk. Try not to be envious of other clubs and become too quick to knock them off their pedastal. Crikey me we lost a game.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, J Phil Loxton said:

Didn't Fev beat Leigh in every department at Post Office Road. Sorry I forgot it was raining. Didn't Fev post 50 odd points at Batley the week before the drawn game? Goes to show every match is different. It's not written in stone who will play in the million pound game. It's just media talk. Try not to be envious of other clubs and become too quick to knock them off their pedastal. Crikey me we lost a game.

That's right it's not written in stone.  My post has been a response to Monkeymagic22 who posted that it will be a fev  v leigh million pound game.  Also said that they have a lot more disposable funds to get them there. The guy is way off the mark if he thinks money will get them there. By the way Phil it's not about how many teams fev have won and nor by how many points. I am not questioning their capabilities. Go back to Monkeymagic22 post then read my response.