IMG Strategic Partnership Announced

Just now, Oxford said:

It's interesting that this thread seems to have lost interest when it's a crucial and dramatic event.

It's because the announcement was accompanied by almost none of the crucial details. 

So we engaged in some fun speculation for 48 hours, but there's only so much you can do!

We can only hope the RL authorities or the rugby league media fill in some of the crucial gaps soon. 

Martyn has promised a story for Monday so hopefully that will take us forward. 

• Like 4

Just now, Toby Chopra said:

Martyn has promised a story for Monday so hopefully that will take us forward. 

Well I asked Martyn if he could at least say if it was positive and I haven't seen his Martyn for dust.

Details were short but that doesn't usually prevent posters basking in the heat of confusion, suspicion and dire expectation.

The RFL is hardly the most transparent organisation and could give the present government and several of the previous ones a run for their money in this respect.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

7 minutes ago, Oxford said:

Well I asked Martyn if he could at least say if it was positive and I haven't seen his Martyn for dust.

Details were short but that doesn't usually prevent posters basking in the heat of confusion, suspicion and dire expectation.

The RFL is hardly the most transparent organisation and could give the present government and several of the previous ones a run for their money in this respect.

Is 16 pages of that not enough for you? 😂

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Damien said:

Is 16 pages of that not enough for you? 😂

No It's not when it's this imprtant Damien.

I count 16 pages as just enough for a run of the mill, common or garden,  everyday issue like what Leigh's chairman is cross about this week.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Oxford said:

I count 16 pages as just enough for a run of the mill, common or garden,  everyday issue like what Leigh's chairman is cross about this week.

I'm pretty sure it will take off again when we actually get some detail. Its pretty poor that there is so little information around this but not surprising either.

23 minutes ago, Oxford said:

Don't worry, it's a 12 year partnership.  I am sure it will pop up from time to time. 

• Haha 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 hour ago, Damien said:

I'm pretty sure it will take off again when we actually get some detail. Its pretty poor that there is so little information around this but not surprising either.

I'm sure you're right about that it just didn't seem normal for posters.

19 hours ago, Damien said:

Or when we all get back into work and are looking for a distraction from actually doing some... 

• Haha 2

On 13/05/2022 at 21:18, Martyn Sadler said:

I've just had an interesting discussion with the IMG person who will lead that organisation's role in Rugby League over the next 12 years.

A fascinating discussion, not least because he is a Rugby League fan himself - a Wests Tigers supporter, in fact.

A full report in Monday's League Express.

What number edition will this Monday's LE be?

If this is the case then I am pretty happy with this (I say if because there is often a disconnect between what is said and reality in RL). Indeed I remember calling for the RFL to get a partner on board like this previously and incentivise them with future profits. As long as the income generated has to exceed current levels then its a win win for me as IMG can't just leach on what the game is generating anyway. That was always my fear with the venture capitalist proposal who would have got their money back in a couple of TV deals with zero growth. Even 50% of a bigger pie is better than 100% of none:

As part of the deal, League Express understands that IMG will receive a proportion of the income generated in future from broadcasting, sponsorship and commercial deals, although only in so far as the income exceeds current levels. And there is likely to be a ratchet effect for IMG’s share of future profits, meaning that they are incentivised to continually raise Rugby League’s income profile.

Johnson was not prepared to reveal the financial details of the partnership, but he did add: “The financial arrangement between us allows IMG to benefit as we grow the sport.

“In doing that, we aim to strategically reposition our sport, build deeper relationships with fans and attract new audiences.

“This will be built on the huge platform of the recent realignment of the RFL and Super League.

“Now we are really locked in with each other and with IMG and we will grow together.

“Realignment was a significant step to make that happen.”

RFL chairman Simon Johnson on how IMG will approach restructuring Rugby League – TotalRL.com | Rugby League Express | Rugby League World

Edited by Damien
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If that's how it pans out on the financial aspects, then that's a tick for me.

It also suggests that IMG will be given free rein to make proposals on structures and competitions from top-to-bottom of the game, where they think it will support the commercial goals. This is also good, although the way I read it any changes will have to be signed off by the SL/RFL JV before they go ahead.

It's right that the game's current stewards have a say in this, I just hope it doesn't end up with them watering down radical proposals out of short-termist thinking. I do think there are signs that the clubs have grasped that this is a key moment, where they have to see the big, long-term picture, so hopefully they will be brave when IMG puts their plan forward.             

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Toby Chopra said:

It also suggests that IMG will be given free rein to make proposals on structures and competitions from top-to-bottom of the game, where they think it will support the commercial goals. This is also good, although the way I read it any changes will have to be signed off by the SL/RFL JV before they go ahead.

It's right that the game's current stewards have a say in this, I just hope it doesn't end up with them watering down radical proposals out of short-termist thinking. I do think there are signs that the clubs have grasped that this is a key moment, where they have to see the big, long-term picture, so hopefully they will be brave when IMG puts their plan forward.             

They may have grasped the nettle finally but when you see the final implications for you club life can become a very different place.

There are some sides who are regarded and regard themselves as invulnerable from and to the changes that affect everyone, and their view of world is always guided by well we'll be safe!

If it is mainly based on structure change rather than gain sponsors, coverage income streams and changing the media's attitude to the sport ......

12 Years Before the Mast!

8 minutes ago, rlno1 said:

Looks like Shane Richardson's plan for the British game may come true.

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/dissecting-shane-richardsons-plan-for-british-rugby-league/

I worry the game will just end up being a copy eveywhere of the Australian version. Lost it's individual character, which was part of the appeal.

We already attempt to copy the NRL coaching blueprint in many ways (although we dont really have the players for it) so I don't really think that's the bit to be concerned about. 

What's far more important is that if IMG propose even half of what Richardson does, then there's huge ramifications for the structure of the game. 

We can be for or against such changes - I'm sure we'll debate them in earnest when the proposals are revealed. 

I'm just not sure how something so radical gets signed off by the clubs who - indirectly - would appear to have a final veto on things. 

Bought the League Express yesterday for the interview the IMG guy, one bit jumped out at me a bit was where Martyn asked whether the clubs had any sort of veto on the IMG recommendations and whilst he didn't say no they don't it certainly wasn't a yes they do. 

• Like 2

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

1 hour ago, rlno1 said:

Looks like Shane Richardson's plan for the British game may come true.

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/dissecting-shane-richardsons-plan-for-british-rugby-league/

I worry the game will just end up being a copy eveywhere of the Australian version. Lost it's individual character, which was part of the appeal.

The plan that was widely derided on here.

27 minutes ago, DI Keith Fowler said:

Bought the League Express yesterday for the interview the IMG guy, one bit jumped out at me a bit was where Martyn asked whether the clubs had any sort of veto on the IMG recommendations and whilst he didn't say no they don't it certainly wasn't a yes they do. 

5 member board, IMG and 2x RFL and 2x Super League. Presumably the Super League clubs collectivel only "control" 2 of those votes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DI Keith Fowler said:

Good.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Toby Chopra said:

One concerning aspect of this is in this account headed "IMG looking to Australia to give Rugby League ‘same attention and excitement’ in UK" .  It quotes Matt Dwyer as saying, “We look at the position it has in Australia and we would love to recreate that over here, to bring that same level of attention and excitement to the game here in the UK.”

He sounds like another Aussie who doesn't understand the underlying reasons why the game's profile is so much lower in the UK than in Australia.  Unless they have a solution to those reasons they won't achieve a lot.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

One concerning aspect of this is in this account headed "IMG looking to Australia to give Rugby League ‘same attention and excitement’ in UK" .  It quotes Matt Dwyer as saying, “We look at the position it has in Australia and we would love to recreate that over here, to bring that same level of attention and excitement to the game here in the UK.”

He sounds like another Aussie who doesn't understand the underlying reasons why the game's profile is so much lower in the UK than in Australia.  Unless they have a solution to those reasons they won't achieve a lot.

I don't think there is anything in that comment. He is talking about market position, he doesn't really suggest that they would achieve that by mirroring Oz.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

5 member board, IMG and 2x RFL and 2x Super League. Presumably the Super League clubs collectivel only "control" 2 of those votes.

Even with IMG on the board of the JV, I don't see how that structure approves anything that includes franchising, or favours "big cities" over established heartland clubs. 

But new competitions or (gawd help us) a revamped challenge cup? Perhaps. 

15 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

Even with IMG on the board of the JV, I don't see how that structure approves anything that includes franchising, or favours "big cities" over established heartland clubs. 

But new competitions or (gawd help us) a revamped challenge cup? Perhaps. 

I suppose it does it more than the existing director structure did, though I don't know who the "Super League" representatives will be. 

I assume the RFL will be represented by Ralph Rimmer and Simon Johnson, but Super League? Chairmen on a rolling basis? Ken Davy + A N Other?

2 hours ago, Dave T said:

I don't think there is anything in that comment. He is talking about market position, he doesn't really suggest that they would achieve that by mirroring Oz.

I hope he is doing what you say mate, though I can see how it can be read multiple ways.