Welsh RU to summer - implications for RL

Strong rumours down here that the WRU are going to switch to a summer season. Though rugby league sits in a 8-12 week window during those summer months down here such a move would be potentially disastrous. 

I’d say 85% of adult participants in South Wales are dual-code wheras it’s nearer 95% for juniors which is by far our strongest and most popular area. 

I’m unsure quite how true these rumours are but it’s certainly concerning for WRL. What would you do if you could call the shots… this is an organisation who are well organised, talented and committed but severely lacking in funds and influence.

5 minutes ago, welshmagpie said:

Strong rumours down here that the WRU are going to switch to a summer season. Though rugby league sits in a 8-12 week window during those summer months down here such a move would be potentially disastrous. 

I’d say 85% of adult participants in South Wales are dual-code wheras it’s nearer 95% for juniors which is by far our strongest and most popular area. 

I’m unsure quite how true these rumours are but it’s certainly concerning for WRL. What would you do if you could call the shots… this is an organisation who are well organised, talented and committed but severely lacking in funds and influence.

Welsh rugby union is in dire straights and they are thinking of moving to just 3 professional teams

7 minutes ago, welshmagpie said:

It is amusing to see the WRU running scared of soccer. It cheers me up enormously.

However, this would essentially end RL in Wales at this time, I presume?

• Like 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

11 minutes ago, Damien said:

You can't be talking about the professional game as the regions can't switch to a summer season unless other countries do.

Community game. Providing the large bulk of players for RL’s season.

Effectively RU becomes play in the summer, big crowds in the sunshine down the local club and internationals and regions through the winter months. 

Edited by welshmagpie
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, welshmagpie said:

Effectively RU becomes play in the summer, big crowds in the sunshine down the local club and internationals and regions through the winter months. 

On that front, it all sounds very 1996.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, welshmagpie said:

Community game. Providing the large bulk of players for RL’s season.

Yeah, so the social clubs lose money cos they can't host wedding receptions through the summer and the like.

This is getting better.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Yeah, so the social clubs lose money cos they can't host wedding receptions through the summer and the like.

This is getting better.

I’m not saying I believe any of this as far as you do mate but what I am suggesting is the potential danger it has on rugby league.

A relative of mine is chairman of a Welsh rugby union club with 3 rooms: bar, sports bar and function room. Their biggest income is internationals, second local derbies, third weddings and christenings. It’s a low rate to rent the function room and bar takings are invariably lower

• Like 3

Although a union move at community level would be far from ideal for league. The union regions going to three could be an opportunity and present a chance for professional rugby league in Wales. 

Players could see league as an opportunity from whichever region goes.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, welshmagpie said:

I’m not saying I believe any of this as far as you do mate but what I am suggesting is the potential danger it has on rugby league.

A relative of mine is chairman of a Welsh rugby union club with 3 rooms: bar, sports bar and function room. Their biggest income is internationals, second local derbies, third weddings and christenings. It’s a low rate to rent the function room and bar takings are invariably lower

Yes - I think this will be a disaster for league. I also think it will likely be a disaster for union

• Like 5

I read an article on this today on the BBC. My knowledge of Union is very limited and I can’t say I saw anything about a summer move but it the references to parochialism made me feel like it’s not just us that suffers from that. 

Don’t see this happening. 

But if it did, it would create some short term pain for RL. However, the community clubs that do survive would likely be more sustainable. You only have to look at the unfulfilled fixtures from Welsh clubs in the Southern Conference and Welsh league during union season which doesn’t benefit anyone

11 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

Well we have done nothing to help welsh rugby league with combining a welsh franchise with regular internationals to help them build income so its our fault.  

Union under more pressure from football than us. Any serious growth comes from internacionals. Wales must be supported properly. 

Who is we and our? There is nothing to stop you helping a Welsh rugby league club.

Genuine question, are you involved with any rugby league club? If not you should be, you’ve got loads of good ideas and enthusiasm and you’d be an asset to them, you don’t even need to live in the same country to help out any more. Plus I think there are (or certainly were) clubs in Madrid? 

Edited by Eddie
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Chronicler of Chiswick said:

Might be the end of WWR, although how long they can carry on as they are  is debatable, but as far as the Cru's concerned the only real problem might be bickering with RWC about who has priority in accessing the stadium.

They don't share facilities with a union club (I don't think) so, again, it would be dependent on the bankrolling side of things for WWR.

But do agree with other posters on the big difference between the impact in the M4 corridor and the rest.

22 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

I'll take the question genuinely    then . Me getting involved with NWC isnt going to get the rfl to guarantee fixtures against Wales is it. ? Thats not in the power of some of the great people in Wales keeping the game going, it is solely a decisión of the rfl. 

I am going to be doing a few pieces on Spanish wheelchair and I drag myself on journeys from Madrid to France to get people to watch Catalan when I can. 

I work evenings currently and until /unless I move to Catalonia (then get a season tickey)there isnt a lot I can do. Bar a euromillions win.  We is the governing body. 

So me moving a few cones isnt going to actually help but if you know how I can get Ralphs job let me know. 

You could do all sorts for clubs, ask around, I’m sure league one or NCL clubs, or clubs in Madrid would be delighted to have someone help with their social media, writing to potential sponsors, getting their name out there in the RL media / podcasts etc. All clubs below the championship are crying out for people to do that sort of stuff.   Or you could stay on an Internet forum saying what you think should happen but not helping at all. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

So it wasnt a genuine question then.  The point of an opinion forum is to give opinions no, wouldnt be much of a forum otherwise? Pretty bad faith form of arguement tbh and Why I muted you last time. 

I have no problem selling a product that exists but after a year in recruitment you need a product to sell first. 

NCL clubs are going to get England to agree internationals and create.an actual product Wales RL can sell are they? Those are rfl decisions, not changed by me putting out a cone or bibs so completely irrelevant.  

I will continue to go to as many games in france as weekends allow and if internationals are announced with enough time in advance in France I will go , just like I got a 13 hour bus journey to watch Catalan vs Toulouse on a Thursday night. 

I'm not going to ask what you do because it is not relevant to this discussion. 

You are a curiously fragile and sensitive character.

On the one hand you stand up for your right to express your opinions but when someone says something you don't like, you mute them.

For goodness sake, toughen up man.

This forum is hardly troll-infested.

In the main it's fairly good natured but stout, robust, heartfelt opinions.

So what, if someone says something you disagree with? 

Edited by fighting irish
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, ShropshireBull said:

So it wasnt a genuine question then.  The point of an opinion forum is to give opinions no, wouldnt be much of a forum otherwise? Pretty bad faith form of arguement tbh and Why I muted you last time. 

I have no problem selling a product that exists but after a year in recruitment you need a product to sell first. 

NCL clubs are going to get England to agree internationals and create.an actual product Wales RL can sell are they? Those are rfl decisions, not changed by me putting out a cone or bibs so completely irrelevant.  

I will continue to go to as many games in france as weekends allow and if internationals are announced with enough time in advance in France I will go , just like I got a 13 hour bus journey to watch Catalan vs Toulouse on a Thursday night. 

I'm not going to ask what you do because it is not relevant to this discussion. 

It was a genuine question, unless your only ambition is to get more international games for France and Wales there is plenty you can be doing for the game, and the more that people do the more the game develops and the more likely those internationals become. 

I’m not suggesting that you put cones out, but there is plenty that you could be doing for a Welsh or French club from your home in Madrid. Don’t just complain about why things aren’t how you’d like them, get involved. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Chronicler of Chiswick said:

Might be the end of WWR, although how long they can carry on as they are  is debatable, but as far as the Cru's concerned the only real problem might be bickering with RWC about who has priority in accessing the stadium.

RGC would get priority as the WRU have ploughed money into developing Eirias Park.... remember back to earlier this year when we played Hunslet in the Challenge Cup; we were turfed out because of the Wales v France U20s 6 Nations game and had to play in Caldy. The WRU and RGC would certainly have no qualms about taking Eirias Park of us in the summer should they decide to change to a summer season.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Oxford said:

implications for RL   

none, zero, zilch, rien de tout!

I disagree. It could have huge implications for North Wales Crusaders as RGC (the local regional Rugby Union team) and the WRU are senior tennant at Eirias Park and I doubt they'd think twice about turnfing us out should RU become a summer sport.

• Like 3