Welsh RU to summer - implications for RL

18 minutes ago, gogledd said:

I disagree. It could have huge implications for North Wales Crusaders as RGC (the local regional Rugby Union team) and the WRU are senior tennant at Eirias Park and I doubt they'd think twice about turnfing us out should RU become a summer sport.

If that's true mate, what the hell are you doing there? 

8 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Because Wrexham FC had already turfed them out (pun a happy accident - if you know, you know)

Hmmmm. Yes I knew that. 

And if we did get turfed out, it would be back to looking at other grounds again as we had to before going to Colwyn Bay.... Suitable sports stadiums aren't exactly ten a penny up here... Buckley, anyone?? 

cru....Cru.....CRUSADERS!!!!!!

7 hours ago, FearNothing said:

And if we did get turfed out, it would be back to looking at other grounds again as we had to before going to Colwyn Bay.... Suitable sports stadiums aren't exactly ten a penny up here... Buckley, anyone?? 

Colwyn Bay FC would probably tick a lot of boxes tbf, but I seem to recall the pitch was fairly tight?

I’m sure Bangor council would snap your hand off to make use of the stadium there but I suppose you’d lose most of your M62 players there, and isn’t particularly accessible to any fans from Wrexham or Colwyn. 

1 hour ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Colwyn Bay FC would probably tick a lot of boxes tbf, but I seem to recall the pitch was fairly tight?

I’m sure Bangor council would snap your hand off to make use of the stadium there but I suppose you’d lose most of your M62 players there, and isn’t particularly accessible to any fans from Wrexham or Colwyn. 

Bangor would be pushing things even further away from the majority of the fanbase (Wrexham)...Colwyn Bay's around 45 mile for a home game as is, Bangor would be putting that more like 70 miles out 😞

13 minutes ago, FearNothing said:

Bangor would be pushing things even further away from the majority of the fanbase (Wrexham)...Colwyn Bay's around 45 mile for a home game as is, Bangor would be putting that more like 70 miles out 😞

Yes I did consider that. Is there still some amateur RL activity in Rhyl? Again, not sure on the pitch dimensions, but the football ground there is licensed to UEFA standard which sets it apart somewhat from the rest.

47 minutes ago, FearNothing said:

Bangor would be a trip too far for me - it's already a fairly long trip from Oswestry. Rhyl would be OK as a location, don't know anything about the ground.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Chronicler of Chiswick said:

Bangor would be a trip too far for me - it's already a fairly long trip from Oswestry. Rhyl would be OK as a location, don't know anything about the ground.

Went there a long time ago, not sure it's changed much looking at photos. Can't remember there being too many seats.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

5 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Rhyl have actually got 1,700 seats. Does that put them in SL standard territory? 😁

It actually does!

The campaign starts now.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

15 hours ago, gogledd said:

I disagree. It could have huge implications for North Wales Crusaders as RGC (the local regional Rugby Union team) and the WRU are senior tennant at Eirias Park and I doubt they'd think twice about turnfing us out should RU become a summer sport.

If that is the case then it would blow the "we're all friends in sport" argument put forward so often on here, out of the water.

Now, if that's all you've got, the Vichies might turn out Vichy, it's hardly surprising or disastrous come to that.

This is a mountain out of a molehill thread.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

Well it's all historical as a country has a smaller population then Yorkshire should voted more towards going to Northern Union back in the day well still maybe see the likes of Pontypridd, Llanelli, Ebbw Vale, Cardiff etc playing in the Super League, Championship and League 1 plus would of helped our game prosper but sadly that didn't happen.

But in this reality I think the pro game of Rugby Union will have a worldwide season like Rugby League but I think the future of the Welsh grass roots and amateur game should stick to the Autumn/ Winter/Spring season.

If the Welsh Rugby Premiership are not happy they can always jump ship to League 🙂

Sad to see Soccer becoming the number 1 sport in another country 😞 but they said that back in 2002 and Union got back on its feet.

19 hours ago, fighting irish said:

If that's true mate, what the hell are you doing there? 

In our previous ground in Queensway Wrexham it wasn't possible to operate under the Welsh Government covid restrictions. The facilities at Eirias Park are excellent, and theres really not much else in North Wales that could accommodate us at a reasonable rent AND allow us to make some money on bar sales and hospitality.

While RU play through from September to May there will be a few clashes but we can cope with that. If the RGC regional team switch to summer I think the current arrangements would be over. I hope I'm wrong but thats my gut feeling.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Chronicler of Chiswick said:

It's a shame that Druids put the wrong type of astroturf down, or we could maybe have gone back to The Rock - a PITA to go to, but at least close to the main fanbase (and much closer to you 😉 )

9 hours ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Rhyl have actually got 1,700 seats. Does that put them in SL standard territory? 😁

Don't think we'd get a legally-sized in-goal area there 🤣 🤣

edit - having just checked the dimensions, it looks like it would be too tight, especially when you need to allow a bigger safety margin around the pitch markings for RL than soccer (that may not be a stated area, but personally I'd want a bit more room before a solid hoarding for rugby)

Edited by FearNothing

27 minutes ago, FearNothing said:

Don't think we'd get a legally-sized in-goal area there 🤣 🤣

edit - having just checked the dimensions, it looks like it would be too tight, especially when you need to allow a bigger safety margin around the pitch markings for RL than soccer (that may not be a stated area, but personally I'd want a bit more room before a solid hoarding for rugby)

The ‘run off’ area is somewhere in the operational rules, although there’s a good few clubs who have exemptions for one reason or another. And that’s before we get to the club who have about three metres between the 30m and 40m lines…