Midlands Hurricanes coach suspended for gambling offences

I often wonder how these things get found out, it’s not like he’ll have been going in the bookies to lay his bets, and even if he was they’d never know who he was anyway, it’s not like Jurgen Klopp going into Laddies to stick five grand on Liverpool losing. 

34 minutes ago, Saint 1 said:

Full details here for anyone who wants them - https://rugby-league.com/article/60006/statement-|-midlands-hurricanes

The statement isn't particularly easy to follow. I think he has bet on his own club to win? And didn't make profit so they didn't?

I'm sure what he has done is against the rules but unless you are betting on your own club to lose, which he didn't, it seems harmless enough.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Damien said:

I'm sure what he has done is against the rules but unless you are betting on your own club to lose, which he didn't, it seems harmless enough.

I think the point (and i’m not saying I agree with it) is that due to his involvement in the game he may have inside information. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I think the point (and i’m not saying I agree with it) is that due to his involvement in the game he may have inside information. 

Yeah I get that but its not affecting the RFL or matches and lets face it RL is a small world and plenty have inside information anyway. I understand the rules and why we have them but for for me its no big deal other than a slap on the wrist and a warning, which is what happened.

It's an incredibly light punishment so I think everyone is accepting he has been stupid rather than malicious - but that 'insiders' gambling is an integrity issue and there needs to be zero tolerance towards it.

• Like 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

i think our player was a bit stupid too,but to stick a fiver on your own team to win a cup final game, after decades of having a go to be at a final, dont think a 2 year 24 game ban was fair,,players smash someone in face and get 4 match ban.:kolobok_download:hes sure made up for it since and plays out of his skin.

15 minutes ago, Damien said:

I’m of this opinion, too. 

No disrespect to the man but if he was also betting on the NRL or Super League, what harm is there in that?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jughead said:

I’m of this opinion, too. 

No disrespect to the man but if he was also betting on the NRL or Super League, what harm is there in that?

He shouldn't be betting on the game at all. He could easily have a contact in the NRL or Super League feeding him inside information.   Whether or not you see any harm in it the game needs to be clean and also seen to be clean.   Also, them's the rules, like them or not.

• Like 1

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

He made a mistake. A low level indiscretion. The club, players and fans are behind him, everyone makes a mistake and no one is perfect. Lots of holier than thou comments on socials though. Must be lots of perfect people in the world. 

I know why the rules are there. But sports seem happy to take betting money, left, right, and centre, but will also throw people to the wolves when they've made a minor indiscretion. Seems double standards to me 

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, OriginalMrC said:

I know why the rules are there. But sports seem happy to take betting money, left, right, and centre, but will also throw people to the wolves when they've made a minor indiscretion. Seems double standards to me 

That is the obvious elephant in the room.

I'm glad he, and the club, accepted his punishment without fuss. "Bigger" names and clubs should take note.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OriginalMrC said:

He made a mistake. A low level indiscretion. The club, players and fans are behind him, everyone makes a mistake and no one is perfect. Lots of holier than thou comments on socials though. Must be lots of perfect people in the world. 

The rules are very simple for club officials - dont bet on the sport at all - the RFL story refers to multiple bets so he made several mistakes not just a mistake.

1 hour ago, OriginalMrC said:

Just as well no one has been thrown to the wolves.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

5 minutes ago, PhilCarrington said:

The rules are very simple for club officials - dont bet on the sport at all - the RFL story refers to multiple bets so he made several mistakes not just a mistake.

Based on the statement from the RFL that's accepted but they have accepted some mitigation. Nobody is perfect, the important thing is to hold your hands up and try to learn from it which I am sure will be the case here 

• Like 1

Many countries have regulations that ban officials / coaches etc from betting on sports they are involved with. It is about integrity and possible insider knowledge.

If you allow RL coaches to bet on RL, where do you draw the line? Can he bet against his own team? Given he might have contacts with other coaches, can he bet on other games before public know that X star player is injured? Or a player betting on a game he's playing in where it's a points handicap bet? Game won but if he kicks a late goal he will lose his points handicap bet? 

You just can't allow people involved in a professional sport to bet on their own sport. If you like a bet there are loads of other sports.

2 hours ago, PhilCarrington said:

The RFL do have educational modules which everyone is expected to complete. I accept of course that the fella just succumbed in a moment of madness. We alll do daft things occasionally.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"