May 31st 1934. My Birthday 88 years old.

jamescolin

Hi everybody, just mY bit of variety from MOM. On my birthday I will celebrate 84 years of watching Featherstone Rovers. I am proud to be a FAN . UTR since I was 4 and went wsith my Dad, David Baden Powell Smith born 21st MaY 1900, hence the middle names.  .MANY HAPPY MEMORIES. UTR

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/05/2022 at 21:19, jamescolin said:

Hi everybody, just mY bit of variety from MOM. On my birthday I will celebrate 84 years of watching Featherstone Rovers. I am proud to be a FAN . UTR since I was 4 and went wsith my Dad, David Baden Powell Smith born 21st MaY 1900, hence the middle names.  .MANY HAPPY MEMORIES. UTR

7 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Happy 88th birthday.

There can't be many left who have watched Rovers before WW2.

Can you remember anything of those very early games, if so, did you stand in the original Bullock enclosure which pre-dated the later and more famous Bullock stand?

Thanks everybody for your happy birthday comments. With TPH's question the answer is yes. I helped build evey new stand and also laid terracing. I well remember playing on the pitch at half time as a kid with my mates as it was allowed in those days. As we were a mining village most of our players were available during the war. I remembere us loaning out players to clubs that had their players called up for active service.

We played also in Purston  Park pretending to be the players we admired, and attempting the moves we had seen..Most of our dads wore flat caps, chewed tobacco and enjoyed a few pints of beer. In Featherstone Square we played rugby on the muckstacks.

Happy Birthday for yesterday Colin, you make me feel like a Pup (70 yrs old).

What memories do you have of my Grandad, Frank Hemingway?

12 hours ago, Steve Slater said:

Happy Birthday for yesterday Colin, you make me feel like a Pup (70 yrs old).

What memories do you have of my Grandad, Frank Hemingway?

Hi Steve, I remember him playing prop at the left hand side of the scrum. He ran hard and tackled well. I remember at that time Walt Tennant, Jackie Blackburn and Albany Longley were playing. All favourites of mine. I think Billie Williams was coach at the time. Memories of the past. We were a good team and played well. All the best. UTR

In reply to you all I had a very happy birthday. Thank you all for your kind messages. My wife Pat and I have been singing for the Liquorice Singers mostly at Care homes and centres. We are singing tomorrow at the Pontefract Town Hall at around 12 mid day.  Get down to see us if you can. Around 30 of us mostly ladies. We have 17 songs on schedule. UTR.