Championship Legend

The Hornet

HORNETS SIGN FORMER HALIFAX AND SHEFFIELD WINGER ROB WORRINCY

3591.jpg

Rochdale Hornets is delighted to announce the signing of winger Rob Worrincy, for the remainder of the 2022 Betfred League 1 season.

The prolific try-scorer had called time on his 18-year career back in September, but was won over by the chance to work under Head Coach Matt Calland – for a second time.

He said: “I’ve missed being involved with professional rugby league so when Matt gave me the opportunity, to add another chapter to my career, it was really hard to refuse.”

Worrincy was a key part of Calland’s Halifax team which won the Championship Grand Final, back in 2010.

A miraculous comeback saw Fax come from 22-4 down to win their first trophy in 23 years, against Featherstone Rovers.

The flying winger also had four spells at Sheffield Eagles where he registered 93 tries in just 153 games.

The 36-year-old is hoping he can help Hornets win promotion to a league where he scored so many of his tries.

He said: “Hornets are a side with some real quality players and the club’s aspirations, to make the step up to Championship level, make it an attractive place to play. 

“I’m looking forward to contributing to the club’s push for promotion, and being back out on the field with some familiar faces.”

With an outstanding 220 career tries to his name, Worrincy brings a clinical edge to a backline which already features the likes of Rangi Chase and Gregg McNally.

His wealth of experience, and knowledge of the game, will undoubtedly be of benefit to young wingers Dan Nixon and Cian Tyrer also.

Hornets Chairman, Andy Mazey, is really encouraged by the acquisition.

He said: “Rob is a Championship legend and only last year was still scoring tries in that competition - for Sheffield.

“He's a player Matt has worked with before and he’s in tremendous shape, having recently represented GB Police Rugby League.

“So, when the option of signing a player of Rob’s calibre came up we moved quickly - welcome to Hornets Rob.”

Worrincy will be in contention to make his first Hornets appearance at Sunday’s trip to Keighley Cougars (3pm kick-off).

To sponsor Worrincy in 2022, contact Steve.Kerr@hornetsrugbyleague.com

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Cw25 said:

You are signing names that everyone knows. But they are old !

Average age of Hornets squad just over 25 years old Superb mix of youth and experience. Morale is through the roof. Our management team know this level of rugby inside out. Hornets promotion and one less Derby Match for Oldham next season a real possibility ! Of course Keighley, Crusaders and Swinton may derail that dream. But this squad are giving us a season to relish.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Joe 90 said:

Average age of Hornets squad just over 25 years old Superb mix of youth and experience. Morale is through the roof. Our management team know this level of rugby inside out. Hornets promotion and one less Derby Match for Oldham next season a real possibility ! Of course Keighley, Crusaders and Swinton may derail that dream. But this squad are giving us a season to relish.

The problem last season was we had too many young and inexperienced players. We’ll see how “ Dads Army “ go on on Sunday. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Joe 90 said:

I am not knocking it. Experienced players that everyone knows. With youngsters like Roden learning from them. I support Oldham. Delighted we have Ridyard. Which is similar. 

I don't really do the rivalry lark. Too old. And I wish we could both go back to bigger crowds.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Cw25 said:

I am not knocking it. Experienced players that everyone knows. With youngsters like Roden learning from them. I support Oldham. Delighted we have Ridyard. Which is similar. 

I don't really do the rivalry lark. Too old. And I wish we could both go back to bigger crowds.

Riddy is a delight to watch and with  a little more pace he would have been an international stand off for years. I too am an old '######' who remembers the happy days of decent crowds. Used to love watching local lads come through the ranks and play before decent crowds. Still we have our memories and some of the  mature and younger players in the area are quite capable of providing new moments to cherish. All the best 👍

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Joe 90 said:

Riddy is a delight to watch and with  a little more pace he would have been an international stand off for years. I too am an old '######' who remembers the happy days of decent crowds. Used to love watching local lads come through the ranks and play before decent crowds. Still we have our memories and some of the  mature and younger players in the area are quite capable of providing new moments to cherish. All the best 👍

I’ve seen bigger gates at the old “ Athletic Grounds “ watching Hornets A team v Oldham A team than we get for derby games now. Sad really, let’s hope we can both turn the corner this season.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Athleticgrounds said:

Another 2 week loan signing from HKR, it looks like we are buying a win against Keighley, quite why the rugby league allow these short term loans is beyond me, no problem with season long loans, 2 weeks just doesn't sit comfortably with me.

Interesting one the two week loan. But possibly lets the player look at the culture of the club and the club look at the player within the Hornets environment before committing to a  longer deal if promotion is achieved and possible Championship signing next year, when the clubs finances should be improved ? Certainly good times to be watching the Hornets. It will be a massive task at Keighley no matter which squad is picked.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Joe 90 said:

Interesting one the two week loan. But possibly lets the player look at the culture of the club and the club look at the player within the Hornets environment before committing to a  longer deal if promotion is achieved and possible Championship signing next year, when the clubs finances should be improved ? Certainly good times to be watching the Hornets. It will be a massive task at Keighley no matter which squad is picked.

Well said, tough ask at big spending Keighley Sunday and going up against the competitions second favorites away from home who absolutely destroyed promotion favorites Swinton a few weeks ago.

It looks to me like a strengthening of Matt Calland's options ahead of a tough run of fixtures rather than trying to buy a one off win on Sunday.

Edited by The Hornet
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Athleticgrounds said:

"Ahead of a tough run of fixtures".. signing players on a 2 week loan?

I read it as initial two week loans…

Two weeks is now the minimum loan which used to be a month. Protects both parties I’d imagine. 

Edited by The Hornet
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, The Hornet said:

It looks to me like a strengthening of Matt Calland's options ahead of a tough run of fixtures rather than trying to buy a one off win on Sunday.

Certainly interesting and potentially exciting trio of signings, albeit two currently for a two week loan period!  Perhaps they will entice much needed additional Hornet fans across to Keighley, otherwise some may only see the newcomers at the next home game v Donny. How the loanees integrate with our settled winning team in such a short period will be crucial.  Certainly, we have a tough run ahead (5 away) and we need to be fully focused.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, glemiln said:

Certainly interesting and potentially exciting trio of signings, albeit two currently for a two week loan period!  Perhaps they will entice much needed additional Hornet fans across to Keighley, otherwise some may only see the newcomers at the next home game v Donny. How the loanees integrate with our settled winning team in such a short period will be crucial.  Certainly, we have a tough run ahead (5 away) and we need to be fully focused.  

Crucially it looks like Matt Calland is driving the signings and the board are delivering. Lets hope that this approach helps to integrate the new guys. I agree that the club seems focused on the next few tough weeks. I don't think the Hornets will '' Leave anything in the locker room''  over the next few weeks. As Glemlin says '' Lets hope that the new faces attract additional fans''