Sun 15th May : SL : Salford Red Devils v Leeds Rhinos KO 3pm

Who will win?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Salford Red Devils
    • Leeds Rhinos

Strong performance from Salford despite only having 1 Prop on the bench (making his first Super League appearance no less).

I'd be seriously concerned as a Leeds fan. Our defence has tightened up last 3 games but we looked extremely comfortable throughout and should have scored more.

Croft on drying pitches is a joy to watch and Watkins is putting himself back into England contention (did not think I would be typing this last season).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chrispmartha said:

Im not sure you can blame or judge Smith after one game.

Yeah was joking really. To some degree he may need to deconstruct what the side do before rebuilding them and very little of that will have happened before he saw us play a game. The same old issues which we have with performance from some senior players were still there. 

Just now, Jill Halfpenny fan said:

Did Dupree play, if so how did he go?

Had 2 stints, approx 30 mins in total. Held his own and nearly scored a try (double movement).

Impressive performance considering he was down to play in the reserves yesterday and got thrown in last minute after only a few days full-time training. Look forward to seeing what he can deliver towards the back-end of the season. 

35 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

Salford are in false position IMO, they look like a decent team, theyll be fine if they can avoid injuries especially to their halfbacks.

croft was outstanding, as was Watkins who looks back to his best

Certainly looks a better team on paper than a team scraping around in the comp's nether regions.

Salford were in control for most of the game. It almost felt as if Mr Child kept giving some very dubious pens until Leeds scored at the end.

Pleased with the performance. Good to see Livett back

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Red Willow said:

Salford were in control for most of the game. It almost felt as if Mr Child kept giving some very dubious pens until Leeds scored at the end.

In fairness the penalties were all justified, but i think Salford didn’t mind given them because they knew they could cope with whatever Leeds threw at them.

I think Leeds as a side with discipline issues but Salford were somehow even worse today. Perhaps that's to be expected from a Rowley side but it's a measure of how dominant they were in this game that they easily overcame the self-imposed handicap.

1 hour ago, Chrispmartha said:

Salford are in false position IMO, they look like a decent team, theyll be fine if they can avoid injuries especially to their halfbacks.

croft was outstanding, as was Watkins who looks back to his best

When Wigan played Salford and people were writing off Salford beforehand on the match thread I was saying that Salford were a much better team than people were making out. They then proceeded to run us very close. They are a good side to watch too.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, StandOffHalf said:

Certainly looks a better team on paper than a team scraping around in the comp's nether regions.

Quite a few players back from injury today. When we get a few more back, I think we are a match for anyone.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chrispmartha said:

In fairness the penalties were all justified, but i think Salford didn’t mind given them because they knew they could cope with whatever Leeds threw at them.

Not convinced or that the same application was applied to both sides

• Haha 1

Last night saw the welcomed release of the Loch Lomond Salford Reds Devils whisky again in this house.

The tasting of the Uisge beatha was to recognize a keen shift from the SRD. Lots of continuing positives. The forwards manned it up against a bigger pack, making metres and tackles aplenty. This gave the backs the opportunities to carve space in the Leeds defence.

Everyone deserves plaudits, but special mentions should go to Brodie Croft who looked Hastingsesque in parts, The King and Ormondroyd for their stint. Watkins is just quality. And Dupree looks promising.

As for Leeds. This was more about an excellent, almost suffocating SRD performance than a poor Rhinos turn out. To me if it is as a fire has been drown in their heart. The players are there, so is the infrastructure, but to me it just seemed like something was missing. 

I am not getting carried away. This was only the second win in ten games, those wins have come from fellow strugglers and the Reds still needs those wins to secure their SL place for next year. I still think the target has to be ten victories. 

Next up Cas and KR. Keep smiling and be optimistic. ✌️😄✌️

Edited by idrewthehaggis
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, meast said:

Snigger....

How did Sezer go? He must be reveling in his role in helping a superior side to success 😊

Nice one Salford

Didn't notice him 🙂 also was surprised to hear Zak played. A number of Leeds players looked unfit and somewhat over weight. Usual couple of forwards stood up well though.

There’s a suggestion on social media that numerous renditions of “There’s only one Helen Skelton!” we’re belted out.

Please tell me this is true…

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

53 minutes ago, Old Frightful said:

There’s a suggestion on social media that numerous renditions of “There’s only one Helen Skelton!” we’re belted out.

I have it on good authority that it was. Got a good bit of stick did Mr Myler.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Red Willow said:

Didn't notice him 🙂 also was surprised to hear Zak played. A number of Leeds players looked unfit and somewhat over weight. Usual couple of forwards stood up well though.

Ah that's probably the training ground again then 🙂 

To be fair ,most people haven't noticed Sezer since he spat his dummy out  and declared his love for the brilliant team he'd just jumped ship to around this time last year!

Edited by meast

On 15/05/2022 at 19:01, Red Willow said:

Only 13-5 in Leeds' favour 😂...

5 hours ago, Old Frightful said:

Leeds Live published it. Wonder how Matt Shaw will go down at Headingley for that one.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Red Willow said:

I assume your being tongue in cheek given Sezer had a operation and is still recovering and not played for a while...

Would agree some of the players looked unfit but then some of them it was the first game back from injury but yep some did look somewhat over weight.

Thought Zak was one of the better Leeds players but he was playing centre which I thought he would have been better playing at full back with Myler pushed into the halfs given need for a half back rather than playing Leeming out of position their as he is clearly not a good half back

• Like 1

Myler always gets booed by Salford fans so there was no surprise there. I doubt many other clubs fans will bother but who knows.

Myler to the halves and Hardaker to full back has to be the way forward if only to get Leeming back to hooker so we don't have Dwyer starting again. 

• Like 1

This is the ratings from a Leeds fan, looks I am confusing Sizer and Austin.

Oledzki was useful and stood out for me.

Richie Myler - 5: A quiet return for the fullback after three months on the sidelines. Booed by the Salford fans.

David Fusitu'a - 5: Showed some decent touches but didn't get involved enough overall.

Zak Hardaker - 7: A positive on a day of negatives. An assured performance, carried well and was one of the better defenders.

Jack Broadbent - 4: After two good performances he was poor here, vulnerable defensively and failed to execute a simple pass for a first-half try.

Ash Handley - 7: If every player was as consistent as Handley was in this Leeds team, they'd be far better off.

Blake Austin - 4: Too many poor kicks, too many missed tackles. Has to do more.

Kruise Leeming - 5: Playing in an unnatural position, he did what he could.

Mikolaj Oledzki - 6: Did plenty of graft for his side.

Brad Dwyer - 6: Has a greater impact off the bench but didn't do too bad here.

Zane Tetevano - 4: Played a decent number of minutes but not having the level of influence you expect him to. Lazy defending for the Brierley try.

James Bentley - 4: No doubting his effort but the number of penalties he gives away is simply too high.

Cameron Smith - 6: Says a lot that he looked the most likely to put unlock the Salford defence. Made some errors but caused issues too.

James Donaldson - 6: Did a very decent stint for his team. Not without fault but one of the better ones.