Sat 14th-Sun 15th May: The Betfred League One Match Thread

Discuss this weekend's Betfred League One games here.

SATURDAY 14th MAY
North Wales Crusaders v Oldham KO 17:30
London Skolars v Doncaster KO 15:00

SUNDAY 15th MAY
Cornwall v West Wales Raiders KO 13:00 (OuRLeague)
Hunslet v Swinton Lions KO 15:00
Keighley Cougars v Rochdale Hornets KO 15:00

3 hours ago, John Drake said:

SATURDAY 14th MAY
North Wales Crusaders 38-16 Oldham 
London Skolars 6-32 Doncaster 

SUNDAY 15th MAY
Cornwall 1-0 West Wales Raiders 
Hunslet 18- 26 Swinton Lions 
Keighley Cougars 34- 16Rochdale Hornets 

5 hours ago, John Drake said:

Discuss this weekend's Betfred League One games here.

SATURDAY 14th MAY
North Wales Crusaders v Oldham KO 17:30
London Skolars v Doncaster KO 15:00

SUNDAY 15th MAY
Cornwall v West Wales Raiders KO 13:00 (OuRLeague)
Hunslet v Swinton Lions KO 15:00
Keighley Cougars v Rochdale Hornets KO 15:00

North Wales Crusaders 28-20 Oldham

London Skolars 6-22 Doncaster

Cornwall 30-10 West Wales Raiders

Hunslet 24-25 Swinton

Keighley 30-24 Rochdale

All home wins except for Swinton and Doncaster

Game of the week will be Cornwall v WWR with a win for the Choughs

If Crusaders carry on their form from last weekend it could see us beating Oldham but we've usually had close games with Oldhams so I'll go for Crusaders by 6 points only.

Can Hornets do us a favour? I think Keighley will continue their good form too.

SATURDAY 14th MAY
North Wales Crusaders v Oldham KO 17:30  Cru by 30
London Skolars v Doncaster KO 15:00  Donny by 20

SUNDAY 15th MAY
Cornwall v West Wales Raiders KO 13:00 (OuRLeague)  really looking forward to this one, I hope a Raiders win!!
Hunslet v Swinton Lions KO 15:00  should be Swinton by 10+
Keighley Cougars v Rochdale Hornets KO 15:00  close, very close...cougars by <10

Another interesting round, hairnets v cougars pick of the round....hope it lives up to expectations for those attending.

Edited by FearNothing
  • Like 1

cru....Cru.....CRUSADERS!!!!!!

16 minutes ago, FearNothing said:

SATURDAY 14th MAY
North Wales Crusaders v Oldham KO 17:30  Cru by 30
London Skolars v Doncaster KO 15:00  Donny by 20

SUNDAY 15th MAY
Cornwall v West Wales Raiders KO 13:00 (OuRLeague)  really looking forward to this one, I hope a Raiders win!!
Hunslet v Swinton Lions KO 15:00  should be Swinton by 10+
Keighley Cougars v Rochdale Hornets KO 15:00  close, very close...cougars by <10

Another interesting round, hairnets v cougars pick of the round....hope it lives up to expectations for those attending.

Well you are confident against us. Although I admit it, I think we will get beat. Just not by that margin.

9 hours ago, Cw25 said:

Well you are confident against us. Although I admit it, I think we will get beat. Just not by that margin.

based partly on both our recent outings with Donny.... we'll see come Saturday 🙂

• Like 1

Looks like Cornwall will have half a team of new faces this week 😂 ominous for West Wales! Cornwall said they were going to go mostly local which admirable but was never going to work. Have to say the loan system is great for clubs to fill short term gaps due to injuries but I'd like to see a limit on the number of loanees that can line up in any match day squad 

1 hour ago, OriginalMrC said:

Looks like Cornwall will have half a team of new faces this week 😂 ominous for West Wales! Cornwall said they were going to go mostly local which admirable but was never going to work. Have to say the loan system is great for clubs to fill short term gaps due to injuries but I'd like to see a limit on the number of loanees that can line up in any match day squad 

The limit is 5

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, OriginalMrC said:

Who have Cornwall taken on loan & what teams have they come from?

16 hours ago, OriginalMrC said:

14 hours ago, CornishRebel said:

The limit is 5

I’ve been against dual reg & I oppose the loan system for same reason - If you claim to be a serious candidate for a Super League/Championship place you have to be able to play your own players not someone else’s! It does distort the league table. Clubs need to make their case for promotion to Super League/Championship on their own players merits not by fielding up to 5 players in their match day squad from a team a division higher than them.

The same applies to teams at the bottom end of the leagues.

I would have much rather Cornwall & West Wales played this fixture with their mostly local players - it would have been fascinating to see how close the game would have been and given a real indication of the standard of players in each squad. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, FearNothing said:

Skolars v Donny went pretty much as expected but with a higher winning margin than I predicted (I only said by 20)..

Cru come up with an almost perfect first half, 18-0 at the break 🙂

Skolars vastly improved performance compared to previous 4 games. 10-12 at half time. Doncaster the better team & deserved the win, but will certainly feel like they had been in a game today.

A flurry of quick tries for Doncaster mid 2nd half when Skolars got tired/had limited bench replacement options probably makes the final scoreline a bit of an unfair reflection on how competitive Skolars were for a lot of the game.

Met some really friendly Don fans who all spoke highly of Skolars performance & seemed to enjoy their visit to a sunny New River stadium. 

Willie Poching was there watching his son play for the Dons.

• Like 2

I didn't make it today, but after what sounds like a hard-fought battle we won...not sure about giving up a 30-0 lead, will have to get the rundown from someone who went. Still, not complaining, if we can keep this up we may have a better crack at promotion than last year!!

Big game in Penryn this afternoon. Looks set for decent weather, so let's hope for a decent crowd to match it!

Will be a good guage to see where Cornwall really are vs the Raiders. A benchmark game. 

A few more loan signings coming in to boost the squad. I'm going for a Cornish win today. I think it will be scrappy and tight with a couple of long range efforts due to gaps in defence from turnovers/lack of experience in both teams.

BTW, great result again for Cru. It would be lovely to see them get promoted. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, FearNothing said:

I didn't make it today, but after what sounds like a hard-fought battle we won...not sure about giving up a 30-0 lead, will have to get the rundown from someone who went. Still, not complaining, if we can keep this up we may have a better crack at promotion than last year!!

At 30-0 we put the cue in the rack and Oldham took advantage. Big brawl towards the end of the second half when Patrick Ah Van copped a nasty one with a player from each side red carded, although ours looked bemused - I suspect that the ref got the wrong player!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, FearNothing said:

Level game for the first 20 minutes with both sides cancelling each other out. Crusaders got a break and built up some momentum to run in some good tries. They seemed to relax a bit and Oldham came back at them at the end to show that they’re no mugs. All in all a good day and a great craic with some of the Yeds fans.

• Like 1