Sat 14th-Sun 15th May: The Betfred League One Match Thread

Thanks guys.. I also got the full SP from mum & dad, they called it pretty much like that (but with more words 🙂 ) That putting the cue on the rack I think we must stop doing, it'll hurt us in the long run...

cru....Cru.....CRUSADERS!!!!!!

3 minutes ago, OriginalMrC said:

West Wales have been really good. They really don't look like a team that's been taking hammerings all season. Cornwall on the other hand have been pretty shocking. Their decision making is terrible! 

Their result against Keighley last week also pointed towards a bit of improvement. Keighley had put nearly 100 on the Skolars the week before so to concede "only" 40 something was pretty good. If they do go on to win this then hopefully they can continue to build on it.

• Like 4

WooHoo!!!!!! Go Raiders!!!!  Sooooo made up for them, and they deserved that win, ok it was a bit scrappy at times but overall that was a decent performance.

Cornwall are the newbies, they've got time to get their first win (which I'm sure they will soon 🙂

• Like 2

A good performance from the Raiders, they certainly didn’t look like a team with their record. I was a bit disappointed in Cornwall. Having seen them play before I expected better. They need a couple of old heads to guide them but they’ll get there. Anybody hear what the crowd was?

Just now, stevecl said:

Good to see wwr win but puts the Cornwall job in perspective when you lose and are “nilled” by the team that couldn’t  buy a win for the last few years. 

Aww c'mon....they beat Coventry Bears a couple of seasons ago, and drew with Donny!!!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, clwydianrange said:

A good performance from the Raiders, they certainly didn’t look like a team with their record. I was a bit disappointed in Cornwall. Having seen them play before I expected better. They need a couple of old heads to guide them but they’ll get there. Anybody hear what the crowd was?

Really pleased for raiders👏

Glad i’m not a betting man - with Cornwall having 5 on loan i was confident they were going to get their 1st win!

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Josef K said:

I really enjoyed the Keighley/Donny match

I wish it were Donny on the receiving end of Hornets 40-16 loss today!  Having two Hornets players sin-binned in a 15 min spell from 16-16 all after 55mins didn't help!

• Like 1

Home from the game. Another extremely wet game. The forecast was for decent weather!!

Cornwall deserved more than a nilling and in reality the game was very closely fought. Credit to WWR, they played the conditions very well. 

I felt Cornwall were pushing the pass and looking for that perfect cut out ball. Not the way to play the conditions, instead of just simplifying the attack. Perhaps a little naivety. The lack of discipline cost in the end. 

I don't know the official attendance but it looked similar to a couple of weeks back. I'd say around 8 or 900.

• Like 3

1800 at Cougar Park to see Keighley Cougars victory.

May have been more but the BBC gave out a false weather forecast, and compounded that by blocking an arterial road to apparently film Happy Valley. 

Motorists not so happy.Fans of the home side very happy - especially if they have watched the home games since the League 1 campaign started.

• Like 1

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

2 hours ago, OriginalMrC said:

It just occurred to me that this must be the first time West Wales have ever nilled anyone. They must be over the moon 

Under that guise or South Wales they have never nilled anyone. 

• Thanks 1

Long time Keighley fan but been on the road in the main,the last few seasons after Godson done his time with expansion teams due to university and other stuff,  now following Midlands after said Godsons relocation to the Midlands.. 

Been at Cougar Park this afternoon and the Cougars have the start of something brewing at Keighley , 1800 today and the whole match experience is going down the way of ' Cougarmania ' .. Similar experiences at North Wales this year and Cornwall.. Is League 1 fighting back?? 

• Like 2

Delighted for the Raiders, especially for their skipper Joe Burke and coach Ash Bateman, in getting a victory with the vast majority of their players coming from South and West Wales. The Skolars have,I believe, a mainly local side also whereas Cornwall are bringing down shedloads of northern based players and the Midlands Hurricanes might as well rename themselves the Yorkshire Hurricanes. Long term it will be interesting to see who is right in their approach.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Dan Taye-Sinferno said:

Delighted for the Raiders, especially for their skipper Joe Burke and coach Ash Bateman, in getting a victory with the vast majority of their players coming from South and West Wales. The Skolars have,I believe, a mainly local side also whereas Cornwall are bringing down shedloads of northern based players and the Midlands Hurricanes might as well rename themselves the Yorkshire Hurricanes. Long term it will be interesting to see who is right in their approach.

Same old, in my opinion, spurious chestnut. No team is ever composed entirely of players born within the sound of the parish church. 

Off the top of my head, and not singling out Rochdale for any reason, Chase, Mcnally, Moi Moi, and PLT. Good old Rochdale lads all, I think not. I don't know about the rest of their players but I would bet there are plenty more.

This pattern of team make up is common, not the exception. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hemi4561 said:

Same old, in my opinion, spurious chestnut. No team is ever composed entirely of players born within the sound of the parish church. 

Off the top of my head, and not singling out Rochdale for any reason, Chase, Mcnally, Moi Moi, and PLT. Good old Rochdale lads all, I think not. I don't know about the rest of their players but I would bet there are plenty more.

This pattern of team make up is common, not the exception. 

Was just about to say something similar to this. All of the super league and championship clubs of course have squads full of locally based players.