Fri 13th-Sun15th May: The Betfred Championship (Non-TV) Match Thread

London have signed Neil Thorman who recently retired after playing for London Skolars,in League One.

He originates from Newcastle - Wallsend.

Were there any north east born players in the Newcastle Thunder side?

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

2 hours ago, The Blues Ox said:

Did not see that coming from Thunder, they were awful against us last time out. London in real trouble.

The guys they have had out injured have been important ones, Akuma Ta'ai and Alex Foster in particular are very good players at this level. I think Newcastle are one of several Championship teams with the biggest drop-offs from starters to reserves.

• Like 1

Just now, The Phantom Horseman said:

The guys they have had out injured have been important ones, Akuma Ta'ai and Alex Foster in particular are very good players at this level. I think Newcastle are one of several Championship teams with the biggest drop-offs from starters to reserves.

This is definitely being wise after the event mind, because I wouldn't have predicted a Newcastle win either.

17 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Wow. he's 37 and has been playing in League One for Skolars for years.
Genuinely feel for Broncos fans, there's not much to be optimistic about down there.

When you say 37, you're right, but he's got a birthday coming up in three weeks' time.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

I didn't think London could be any worse than they were in the loss at Leigh, this score against a very ordinary Newcastle shows how bad they are, I can't  see them surviving the drop this year.

London are really bad, but beat Barrow and Workington (Home) and Workington and Dewsbury (Away), gets them 11 points.  That could be enough to survive.

They are in a League of 3 right now. Its who between London, Dewsbury and Workington who can grab points outside of this mini league which will determine who stays up

• Like 2

Sorry to correct you but London didn't beat Barrow although they did pick up a well earned draw, they played really well and looked like a team that could pick up a few points, they appeared to be a better team than their results suggest.

All home wins except for Dewsbury and Bradford. 

Massive Cumbria Derby, a win for Barrow would probably mean they are going to be OK and avoid the relegation battle and a win for Workington will close the gap on Dewsbury and London, a loss however will see their survival chances take a big hit. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Angelic Cynic said:

London have signed Neil Thorman who recently retired after playing for London Skolars,in League One.

There were 4 local lads in the 21 man squad, isaac Noakes, Alex Donaghy, Dan Coates and Nathan Clemmitt who have all had game time recently but only isaac made the team last night (and scored 2 tries) 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SJD said:

Sorry to correct you but London didn't beat Barrow although they did pick up a well earned draw, they played really well and looked like a team that could pick up a few points, they appeared to be a better team than their results suggest.

Think you misunderstood my post.  London already have 3 points (Barrow A (draw), Dewsbury H (win) ).

What I said was if London beat Barrow and Workington (Home) and Workington and Dewsbury (Away) then those 4 games would give London additional 8 points and 11 Points might be enough to survive.

We have not played Barrow at Plough Lane yet, so that could be a Broncos win (yes I know its unlikely)

28 minutes ago, crashmon said:

Think you misunderstood my post.  London already have 3 points (Barrow A (draw), Dewsbury H (win) ).

What I said was if London beat Barrow and Workington (Home) and Workington and Dewsbury (Away) then those 4 games would give London additional 8 points and 11 Points might be enough to survive.

We have not played Barrow at Plough Lane yet, so that could be a Broncos win (yes I know its unlikely)

Sorry, my bad.  I may be a Barrovian but would not put it past London to pick up the win.  I suspect if they had picked up a couple more wins they may well have had the confidence to do better, the team that played us looked pretty good, for your sake I hope they can come good soon

• Like 1

On 12/05/2022 at 15:06, paulwalker71 said:A lot will depend on which version of the 2022 Bulls show up. Anything less than the very best will result in us getting beaten, that's for sure

In that case it depends on how many fringe Leeds players we get and it looks like just 1. So this’ll be a problem

41 minutes ago, TrueBull said:

In that case it depends on how many fringe Leeds players we get and it looks like just 1. So this’ll be a problem

Trouble is the state Leeds are in at the moment they don’t have a lot of fringe players 

3 hours ago, TrueBull said:

Fringe player TB you'll be lucky yesterday leeds reserves played  one from FEV and seven from Hunslet

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Johnny Ringo said:

All home wins except for Dewsbury and Bradford. 

Massive Cumbria Derby, a win for Barrow would probably mean they are going to be OK and avoid the relegation battle and a win for Workington will close the gap on Dewsbury and London, a loss however will see their survival chances take a big hit. 

HT 22-0

Game of two halves in Barrow.

Town really gave the Raiders something to think about got back to 22-12 before Dan Toal scored for Barrow at the end

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

Think Barrow are safe now 👏👏

Decent DerbyDay win today as they are always tricky & good to get back to winning ways after a few tough tough fixtures when we are light on numbers, Beat Dews next week & we might just be in the playoffs conversion as we will begin to get the likes of Sammut ( only missed today I know ) & then Miludi & Shaw will be closer to returning.

29 minutes ago, mickmike wilson said:

Think Barrow are safe now 👏👏

Decent DerbyDay win today as they are always tricky & good to get back to winning ways after a few tough tough fixtures when we are light on numbers, Beat Dews next week & we might just be in the playoffs conversion as we will begin to get the likes of Sammut ( only missed today I know ) & then Miludi & Shaw will be closer to returning.

Rams played well today most of the game and i  think will beat your next week if they play same.

29 minutes ago, Fevrover said:

Definitely but i fancy Dewsbury after seeing the two teams last two weeks and Home advantage.

You saw Barrow at probably their weakest & they are stronger now with a few loaners here now settling in & you know hot teams are hot 1 week & cold the next = Anyones game.

Its been mentioned a few times in these threads that it would take 10 rounds for the table to look more like it will at the end of the season and I think some people were getting either a bit giddy or a bit carried away with the first few games and now the grounds have dried up and some squads are looking a little thin the table is looking more like people had predicted at the beginning of the season.

Fax V Sheffield went pretty much as I expected, Sheffield looking tired after last week, and Fax ultimatley having too much for them but Sheffield showed glimpses of why they could get that 6th spot. A few decent fights in this one as well in the second half. Big game for Fax next week and a loss would make 3rd spot pretty difficult.

The league though looks like 4 leagues in 1. Top 2 then at the moment 4 teams leading the way for the playoffs then teams that really don't look to have much to play for then what could possibly be a 3 way battle for 13th spot with Worky sadly not looking likely to give themselves a fighting chance.

• Like 2

On 14/05/2022 at 09:20, Angelic Cynic said:

Yeah, one of them Isaac Nokes 20 year old scored a hatrick….. he’s from Heaton in Newcastle

cheers