Mon 16th May: Ch: Batley Bulldogs v Leigh Centurions KO 19:45 (Premier Sports)

Who will win?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Batley Bulldogs
    • Leigh Centurions

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 16/05/22 at 19:15

1 hour ago, sentoffagain2 said:

I love going to Batley and i like Henderson as a pitch side reporter but i did laugh when he said playing down the slope was worth 16 points.Wasn't worth 16 to Batley last night .Depending on the opposition the slope is probably worth 6-8 points.

1 hour ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

I'm pretty sure that his view of 16 points would not be far off judged on results over a number of years. If one team is vastly superior to the other on the day then the slope won't make much difference to the scoreline, but between two well-matched teams it has a major impact.

Actually I might have misunderstood that, it depends on what he meant by "worth 16 points". If he meant 16 points per half, yes that probably is a bit too much, but over the course of 80 minutes it wouldn't be far off.

I did some sums and in the last ten league games at Batley there have been 293 points scored playing downhill and 152 points scored playing uphill. So just over 14 points per game more scored downhill, and there were more points scored downhill than uphill in all ten games.

36 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Actually I might have misunderstood that, it depends on what he meant by "worth 16 points". If he meant 16 points per half, yes that probably is a bit too much, but over the course of 80 minutes it wouldn't be far off.

I did some sums and in the last ten league games at Batley there have been 293 points scored playing downhill and 152 points scored playing uphill. So just over 14 points per game more scored downhill, and there were more points scored downhill than uphill in all ten games.

I know you are usually spot on with your stats so i take that onboard.One thing about running downhill they can't run without their legs.First tackler down there and second round the chest stopping the offload.Once those big forwards have hit the deck a time or two they don't run so hard .

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, sentoffagain2 said:

I know you are usually spot on with your stats so i take that onboard.One thing about running downhill they can't run without their legs.First tackler down there and second round the chest stopping the offload.Once those big forwards have hit the deck a time or two they don't run so hard .

Problem with that is with them tackling round the legs it will be much quicker play the balls and the defence not much time to get back without any sort of dominant tackle. Catch 22 on that ground and Leigh look the sort of team built perfectly for that pitch with huge mobile forwards.

1 hour ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

You can't come on here with evidence and facts, you've just completely killed the usual random Forum debate 😂😂😂 so next time Dewsbury come to Batley we basically need to play downhill both halves then?

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

Problem with that is with them tackling round the legs it will be much quicker play the balls and the defence not much time to get back without any sort of dominant tackle. Catch 22 on that ground and Leigh look the sort of team built perfectly for that pitch with huge mobile forwards.

yep. Land on your front, front-foot play-the-ball, no time for the opponents' markers to get square and you're over the gain line before the opponents are anywhere near back ten metres.

30 minutes ago, sentoffagain2 said:

I know you are usually spot on with your stats so i take that onboard.

I was actually agreeing with you really, as if you meant per half then your assessment of 6-8 points looks about right. I would have said more myself before I checked the last 10 games (which admittedly are a small sample size).

8 minutes ago, Wakefield Ram said:

You can't come on here with evidence and facts, you've just completely killed the usual random Forum debate 😂😂😂 so next time Dewsbury come to Batley we basically need to play downhill both halves then?

I've often thought it would be fascinating for games at the Mount if coaches had to "bid"  how many points they would concede in order to play the entire game downhill. The coach who bids highest gets to have his team playing downhill.

Too many errors after 20 minutes which meant we defended more and tired out quickly and you can’t get the ball for 10-15 minutes before we drop the ball with a simple error probably our worst performance under Craig hopefully we bounce back Sunday with 3 massive games coming up now for the play offs 

On 17/05/2022 at 09:29, sentoffagain2 said:

I love going to Batley and i like Henderson as a pitch side reporter but i did laugh when he said playing down the slope was worth 16 points.Wasn't worth 16 to Batley last night .Depending on the opposition the slope is probably worth 6-8 points.Don't forget when playing downhill players have the slope pulling on their legs when getting onside defending.Vey good performance from Leigh though.As a Fev supporter i was impressed.

Yes I thought 16 is over estimating. If it is 2 even sides I think 8 points may be an even half time lead.

If one side is far better than the other then it doesn't really enter the equation, as per tonight. I think Leigh scored 28 and 24 points respectively. 

There doesn't seem to be a scientific rule though. I think it depends on how each side plays on the day. Having said that I always like to play downhill second half. 

3 hours ago, Niels said:

Yes I thought 16 is over estimating. If it is 2 even sides I think 8 points may be an even half time lead.

If one side is far better than the other then it doesn't really enter the equation, as per tonight. I think Leigh scored 28 and 24 points respectively. 

There doesn't seem to be a scientific rule though. I think it depends on how each side plays on the day. Having said that I always like to play downhill second half. 

Last season Broncos built a good score downhill first half , I thought back come Batley downhill second half but it did not happen , Broncos carried on like they had in the first half and won 4 - 40.

• Like 1