Eurovision 2022

Boom Bang A Bang! It's Eurovision week.

Anyone apart from me willing to admit they'll be watching?

Without wanting to get anyone's hopes up, the UK appears to be making a modicum of effort not to come last this year.

59 minutes ago, John Drake said:

Boom Bang A Bang! It's Eurovision week.

Anyone apart from me willing to admit they'll be watching?

Without wanting to get anyone's hopes up, the UK appears to be making a modicum of effort not to come last this year.

Deliberately not watching the semi finals this year as I want to properly enjoy the final without knowing what's coming.

A couple of people whose opinions I trust - i.e. they're not the kind that think that Eurovision is lost by us because of nasty politics nor do they think that Eurovision is simply some bizarre camp idea they have in their heads - seem to think the UK song and act are going down well in Europe.

But, I presume, Ukraine will win by a country mile, regardless?

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

5 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

But, I presume, Ukraine will win by a country mile, regardless?

You'd expect so wouldn't you?

I've no idea what their entry is like but if it's not 'My lovely horse' then I'd be surprised if they don't walk it.

Just now, Shadow said:

You'd expect so wouldn't you?

I've no idea what their entry is like but if it's not 'My lovely horse' then I'd be surprised if they don't walk it.

To be fair, it must surely be time for 'My Lovely Horse' to take the prize for real.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I watched the first semi-final. Ukraine's entry isn't particularly brilliant, and I don't think it would be anywhere near the top of the favourites list if it wasn't for  events back home.

But with the viewer votes so often overturning the jury votes under the new system, they'll either win or come damn close.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, Futtocks said:

I watched the first semi-final. Ukraine's entry isn't particularly brilliant, and I don't think it would be anywhere near the top of the favourites list if it wasn't for  events back home.

But with the viewer votes so often overturning the jury votes under the new system, they'll either win or come damn close.

at 4/6 favourites are u willing to lend the bookies 60 quid to make 40?  seems like one of the biggest betting certs of all time

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

I always wondered where they got the viewers for Gogglebox from so thanks for clearing that one up for me everyone.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

15 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Just been doing my morning "learning German by listening to NDR Kultur" and their take on Eurovision is that the UK has one of the standout songs but that the Ukraine song will be the winner because, as said, it's basically good enough and people will vote with their emotions for it.

1 hour ago, JohnM said:

If Ukraine were to win, whar more ore evidence is needed that  ESC voting is political, not qualitative. 

It's proof it's emotional, not political.

• Like 1

It is evidence that it is not qualitative. Emotional in this case, I agree, but that adds to the argument that the pantomime is just that, but not only that. Next year, we're going to enter under Millwall's banner. 😀

50 minutes ago, JohnM said:

It is evidence that it is not qualitative. Emotional in this case, I agree, but that adds to the argument that the pantomime is just that, but not only that. Next year, we're going to enter under Millwall's banner. 😀

How do you qualitatively judge one song against another song?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

How do you qualitatively judge one song against another song?

Whilst maintaining a stance of not caring about the competition at the same time caring that the nasty forrins must all be ganging up on the plucky Brits. 

Next year we should get Schrodinger and the Pussy Cats to represent us.

It was originally supposed to be exactly what the name meant - a song contest.

Not a contest of performance, or personality, or flashy staging.

But they did want people to actually watch the thing, so they made it enjoyable.

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

42 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

It was originally supposed to be exactly what the name meant - a song contest.

Not a contest of performance, or personality, or flashy staging.

But they did want people to actually watch the thing, so they made it enjoyable.

Radio 3, for reasons too complicated to go into, played the 1964 (or 5) Swedish entry this morning.

It was, and I think we can say this for it at least, a song.

EDIT:

Actually 1965 and this

Edited by gingerjon

Some songs are objectively weak or poorly performed - we've managed both in our Euro entries over the last 25 years.

Otherwise any art forms are judgements based on personal taste, prejudices, politiocs etc. etc.

I don't like any awards or competitions for art if I'm honest. It's like deciding which team wins in Sport by best style of play, nicest kit, biggest away following or which county (cermonial or otherwise) they are from.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

1 hour ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Great day of TV tomorrow! 8 hours of the North-West 200 followed by Eurovision. Fantastic! 😁👍

I might squeeze in a little NRL Magic Weekend action too, especially Penrith v Melbourne.

Ralph Waldo Emerson