Eurovision 2022

Song contest news  "Votes from Azerbaijan, Georgia, Montenegro, Poland, Romania and San Marino were all replaced by aggregate scores , after irregular voting patterns were noticed on the night."

32 minutes ago, JohnM said:

We've moved on since Saturday. Maybe you're the Eurovision obsessive?

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Bit late to post a reaction... it's taken me that long to recover from hearing 'Royaume Uni, douze point' for the first time in what seems a lifetime. A vodka shot after every one, I was nearly under the table by the end... whereas I'm usually left sober as a judge. 😄

But what a fantastic night. Genuinely loved every minute of it.

From the opening strains of Ode to Joy over the Eurovision logo at the start, segueing into that emotional rendition of Give Peace a Chance by the audience (sent shivers down me spine, that did), to all 25 songs (well, I wasn't that keen on the Serbian one if I'm honest), to the interval reminder that Mika is a better performer than he is a presenter, to the voting that saw the actual United Kingdom entry finish top after the juries (a feat miserable cynics always claim could never possibly happen these days) and then, the whole of Europe picking up the phones to wrap its arms around Ukraine and crown them the winners.

Perfecto.

A knighthood for Mr Ryder please, and another for whoever chose him to be the UK entrant this year, for proving that when the UK attitude is wholehearted and uncynical, and a genuine effort is put in to promote the song around Europe before the contest, we can still do very well indeed in this thing. 

Space Man is apparently on course to be No 1 in the charts on Friday, pop pickers. 🤯

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Spidey said:

Was hoping it was a cover of Babylons track from the 90s but have been informed otherwise 

Christ. A song that owed its entire success to its opening 20 seconds being used as the soundtrack to an attractive young woman selling jeans ... which meant that nobody who bought it had heard the dirge that followed.

• Haha 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Ukraine won because of the sympathy vote. Britain came second because we have backed Ukraine more than any other European nation. Eurovision has always had a strong political dimension.

I thought Spain should have won. But they didn't have a dog in the fight.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

Christ. A song that owed its entire success to its opening 20 seconds being used as the soundtrack to an attractive young woman selling jeans ... which meant that nobody who bought it had heard the dirge that followed.

Let us not forget this.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

https://eurovisionworld.com/esc/here-is-the-proof-of-the-eurovision-voting-scandal-six-juries-cheated-and-voted-for-each-other

I'm sure the many fans of the ESC are thoroughly entertained by it now ...and will be in the future. Good for them, and let's hope the event continues.

However, I think those who think it's all about the music, the best song winning etc are sadly mistaken. Revealing what we all know in our heart of hearts to true does not make anyone obsessive, any more that calling the events followers obsessive.

Edited by JohnM